Koningsdam Tile Misprint

jhannah

Has anyone else noticed that this Koningsdam tile has been misprinted? The outline of the top of the Hotel New York in Rotterdam is upside-down! Turning it right-side-up and placing it at the bottom (as it is done on some other tiles) would overprint the artwork of the ship. Looks like they needed to draw another view of the ship. Oops!

IMG_20190126_184200.jpg

4 minutes ago, jhannah said:

I don't think it was designed as a reflection. Here's a tile with the image printed upright.

Sorry,  i have to disagree: look at the lines in the top of the tower. Yours has nice clean curves, the other is definitely wavy. It's not a very good rendering of a watery reflection :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

Sorry,  i have to disagree: look at the lines in the top of the tower. Yours has nice clean curves, the other is definitely wavy. It's not a very good rendering of a watery reflection 😞

If it's a reflection in the water, the tower should be on the left. A water reflection doesn't change sides.

Edited by jhannah

43 minutes ago, Radbooks said:

I agree that's it's a reflection. It's the same as the one I got on the Nieuw Statendam earlier this month.

Yes, same --with the addition of " & Nieuw Statendam" on the bottom. If it's a misprint, there's a whole lot of them out there.

Edited by oceanmom

39 minutes ago, jhannah said:

If it's a reflection in the water, the tower should be on the left. A water reflection doesn't change sides.

It sure does: when you're on the water side, the tower will be on the right, as shown. From the land side, the tower's on the left, as on the blue tile. 

Also, if it's a misprint, the tower is very badly drawn, compared to the blue tile. Since it appears to be a one-color piece, it was drawn and produced with the tower above the ship. If it had been multiple colors, it naught have been a misprint, but not a single color.

10 minutes ago, rothbury said:

I have 2 just like it from a cruise last March.  There are probably thousands out there so any collector value wouldn't be much.

Like stated above, they are not misprints, so not anny more or less collectible than any of the other tiles!

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Meneer Rijppaert got himself a very nice "tegel" collection going! :classic_smile:

Yes, he has.

Every now and then, he has them on display. He brought some of his collection on board a Rotterdam cruise once and he also had an exhibit in the Royal Goedewaagen museum, where most of the pottery and tiles for HAL are made.

Having said that, tiles themselves are made in the UK, just "printed" at Royal Goedewaagen, in a process where a ready made overlay is attached to the tile. This happens with most pottery worldwide these days, as far as mass production goes!

• Thanks 1

Agree, this tile design does not look like a misprint - but more similar to the upside down glass sculpture of the NYC skyline in the atrium of the Nieuw Amsterdam.

My recent Eurodam tile also shows  the outline of the old Holland-Amerika headquarters building at the bottom with the sharp lines too. 

Meanwhile, this is not my favorite tile as the blue color is more faded (like denim)  and does not match all the other prior tiles in my own collection which are a brighter deep blue. Not a particularly attractive choice, but representative of our fading memories of the "old" HAL, now getting replaced by a paler comparison of its former self. :classic_sad:

Edited by OlsSalt