Pick pockets

Joyfull Traveller

5 hours ago, EndlessCruise said:

I carry a chain wallet in my front pocket, that I purchased at Walmart for only $12. 

I always put the chain around a good sturdy leather belt - never around a belt loop, which can easily be cut or yanked loose by a pickpocket.

My brother-in-law had a chain wallet.  His son asked why the chain was loose.  Chain was still there but wallet was gone.  

Just saying these creeps are good and you cannot be too careful.  

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My brother-in-law had a chain wallet.  His son asked why the chain was loose.  Chain was still there but wallet was gone.  

Just saying these creeps are good and you cannot be too careful.  

Not all chain wallets are the same, and people have differing levels of situational awareness.

My chain wallet has saved my cash and credit card on two different occasions - once in Quezon City, Philippines and the other in Cebu City, Philippines.

Both times the pickpockets were unable to get the wallet from me. One pickpocket was able to get a knuckle sandwich from me, however, before running off through the crowd.

A chain wallet is an additional level of protection - which is why so many truckers use them.

2 hours ago, EndlessCruise said:

Not all chain wallets are the same, and people have differing levels of situational awareness.

My chain wallet has saved my cash and credit card on two different occasions - once in Quezon City, Philippines and the other in Cebu City, Philippines.

Both times the pickpockets were unable to get the wallet from me. One pickpocket was able to get a knuckle sandwich from me, however, before running off through the crowd.

A chain wallet is an additional level of protection - which is why so many truckers use them.

I guess my BIL didn't have the superior $12 Walmart wallet. :classic_biggrin:  Anyway,  I'm glad you have it all covered.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I guess my BIL didn't have the superior $12 Walmart wallet. :classic_biggrin:  Anyway,  I'm glad you have it all covered.  

More likely he doesn't have much situational awareness.

One would have to be 'asleep at the wheel' so to speak, in order to allow somebody to get a chain wallet out of their pocket and then remove the wallet from the chain, without them knowing it.

Are you sure your BIL wasn't sleeping when he got ripped off?

As a woman, I have a fabric pocket I stitched which I attach to the inside of the top I am wearing with safety pins.  I place my valuables in it  Cash, credit card and ID are safe in it  Stitched a money belt for DH which he wears under a shirt.

Edited by hancock

On 3/7/2019 at 11:47 PM, EndlessCruise said:

More likely he doesn't have much situational awareness.

One would have to be 'asleep at the wheel' so to speak, in order to allow somebody to get a chain wallet out of their pocket and then remove the wallet from the chain, without them knowing it.

Are you sure your BIL wasn't sleeping when he got ripped off?

No he was not sleeping.  A successful pickpocket does not remove the wallet from a pocket and then remove the wallet from the chain as you say.  They use distractions and cut the chain with a pair of diagonal cutters.  Takes a second or less. 

Again,  I'm happy that you have it all covered.