Cancellation charges

gollane

Yes, you are correct. I am over it. I just chalked it up to poor knowledge on my part. It seems there is always something one forgets to ask. Like I said that we have only recently sailed on Disney, Princess and Holland America. We never had that issue, so who knew. We sailed on Radisson back in 2008, 2009, 2010 and they never had that, so I didn't know. I did book something once on Crystal, but couldn't get the time off and had to cancel and there was no fee and that was about 2 years ago. So I had no idea. I guess I could have read all the fine print and it would have been there, but I didn't. So my fault.

19 hours ago, california and cruising said:

Yes, you are correct. I am over it. I just chalked it up to poor knowledge on my part. It seems there is always something one forgets to ask. Like I said that we have only recently sailed on Disney, Princess and Holland America. We never had that issue, so who knew. We sailed on Radisson back in 2008, 2009, 2010 and they never had that, so I didn't know. I did book something once on Crystal, but couldn't get the time off and had to cancel and there was no fee and that was about 2 years ago. So I had no idea. I guess I could have read all the fine print and it would have been there, but I didn't. So my fault.

I'm surprised that you didn't question the cancellation policy before booking and expensive cruise with a significant deposit since you stated  "200 dollars isn't a big deal, but guess what? It is for us."  For your information,  you can put a hold on it, get all the paperwork so you can review the itinerary and the cost for an entire week with no money risked.  

20 hours ago, california and cruising said:

Crystal now has a $100 per person "administrative fee" also.  I think it is a good thing as it stops people from putting deposits down on a whim on multiple cruises and taking cabins out of inventory - then deciding later which cruise they will actually go on and then cancel the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nfcu said:

Crystal now has a $100 per person "administrative fee" also.  I think it is a good thing as it stops people from putting deposits down on a whim on multiple cruises and taking cabins out of inventory - then deciding later which cruise they will actually go on and then cancel the others.

Couldn't agree more with you, except I'd like to see the fee higher (like the airlines).  I wanted a cruise but couldn't get the suite I wanted--sure enough when it was time for payment people canceled.  When Regent called, I'd had made other plans for that date, this happens way too much.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, MalbecWine said:

We just lost a $200.00 booking and paid in full for our Explorer trip in November which was refunded less the booking fee in a master suite.  That being said, we can use it within one year on another Regent cruise.  We shall see and not the end of the world.

Our similar booking is on another luxury line we frequent in the largest suite.  It’s ashame that some comments have steered us away from Regent.

Malbecwine- for some reason I cannot PM you.  At any rate, we’re going on Regent in June, and would like to know what is steering you away from further sailings on Regent.  We are trying to decide whether to try Crystal for our 25th anniversary or continue with Regent.  Since you’ve done both, we thought it might be handy to get your input at least.  Tks.

16 hours ago, snuggarelli said:

Malbecwine- for some reason I cannot PM you.  At any rate, we’re going on Regent in June, and would like to know what is steering you away from further sailings on Regent.  We are trying to decide whether to try Crystal for our 25th anniversary or continue with Regent.  Since you’ve done both, we thought it might be handy to get your input at least.  Tks.

The PM function on CC hasn't worked for as long as I remember.  As I recall, you were quite active on the Regent board a few months ago but may not have been enamored with statements about Regent marketing to Baby Boomers.  I may have "read" that incorrectly but that is the sense that I got.

Not trying to speak for Malbec Wine but he has indicated that he hasn't sailed on Regent for many years.  I see him frequently on the Crystal boards so he is likely quite the expert on that cruise line.

We will be doing a Crystal cruise in a few months and will finally be able to make a direct comparison with Regent.  Prior to Crystal refurbishing their ships, we would not sail Crystal as they did not have "true" open seating.  We still do not like how small the staterooms are and were take aback when they started charging for additional visits to specialty restaurants (some sailings allow one visit per specialty restaurant and others allow two visits).  My information comes from the Crystal board and their website.  We expect  that Crystal will have great food, entertainment and enrichment classes.  Guess we will find out.  

IMO, it is difficult to compare cruise lines when you have sailed on one line for many years.  There is a tendency to compare every little thing with the cruise line that you frequent.  We will do our best to give a fair review of Crystal (as we did with Silversea a couple of years ago).