My thoughts on Midnatsol Antarctica Nov 7-18, 2018

mcpepe

On 6/14/2019 at 11:09 AM, clo said:

I haven't been on CC for some years as our travel generally isn't cruise-oriented.  But we did this trip in January 2018 and it was a wonderful as you described.  Our might have been even better 🙂 because we started in Buenos Aires and then did a Patagonia trip through a tour operator.  That added to the glory!

Aren't their soups simply incredible.  And really all the food was exceptionally good.  And my husband, the bread lover, raved over their bread.

I never thought I would have a favorite iceberg or whale but here ya go!

26240727_1532343493508804_7533185707015674800_o.jpg

26219590_1532344166842070_8309964419849240907_n.jpg

Loved all the food for sure! And yes soup every day I did eat. :)  I spent a week after the cruise in Ushuaia and did so many great activities there: hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, 4x4. Really loved Ushuaia!

7 hours ago, mcpepe said:

Loved all the food for sure! And yes soup every day I did eat. 🙂 I spent a week after the cruise in Ushuaia and did so many great activities there: hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, 4x4. Really loved Ushuaia!

Our trip started with a tour of Patagonia, Argentinian and Chilean, and we boarded the ship in Punta Arenas and did the Chilean Fjords at the beginning and the Falkland Islands at the end.  We were gone almost a month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

Our trip started with a tour of Patagonia, Argentinian and Chilean, and we boarded the ship in Punta Arenas and did the Chilean Fjords at the beginning and the Falkland Islands at the end.  We were gone almost a month.

Sounds great! Im returning to Antarctica on Fram doing the Ultimate Antarctica to include the Falklands and South Georgia! 

6 minutes ago, mcpepe said:

Sounds great! Im returning to Antarctica on Fram doing the Ultimate Antarctica to include the Falklands and South Georgia! 

As I mentioned we did Patagonia.  f you can add that it was as incredible as Antarctica.  I am curious why you would go again.

36 minutes ago, clo said:

As I mentioned we did Patagonia.  f you can add that it was as incredible as Antarctica.  I am curious why you would go again.

No time for Patagonia. I work. That would be a separate trip. I loved Antarctica. I loved the nature, the kayaking, the camping. Plus South Georgia Island and the Falklands are bucket list items for me. Looking forward to seeing the different penguins and other sea life. . And I'm looking forward to experiencing Fram which is alot smaller than Midnatsol.

9 hours ago, mcpepe said:

And I'm looking forward to experiencing Fram which is alot smaller than Midnatsol.

Have you been on Lofoten?  About 100 pax.  We loved the RT Norwegian coastal so much that we're doing the one way next April.  It's her last season doing that kind of sailing.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Have you been on Lofoten?  About 100 pax.  We loved the RT Norwegian coastal so much that we're doing the one way next April.  It's her last season doing that kind of sailing.

No. I did Nordnorge for my coastal voyage from Bergen- Kirkenes-Trondheim in 2016. I have a review up here on CC. 

26 minutes ago, mcpepe said:

No. I did Nordnorge for my coastal voyage from Bergen- Kirkenes-Trondheim in 2016. I have a review up here on CC. 

This photo, to me, so expresses the atmosphere of the Lofoten.

54279379_2097543083655506_6901452041634185216_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, Maria!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and pictures.

We just booked this cruise for March 2020.   

Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Gate1 has a special code this week for Antarctica trips in 2019 and 2020.   Our package includes two days in Buenos Aires and two in Montevideo as well as cruising to the Falkland Islands.  

Edited by HokiePoq
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

Oh, Maria!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and pictures.

Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Aww you're very welcome!! I'm heading back to Antarctica on Fram in January, but this time also going to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia Island. Will have lots to report back then as well. You will love Midnatsol!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

You know, I'm sure, that it's going to be cold!

https://www.naturalworldsafaris.com/polar-regions/antarctica/when-to-go/march

Re Gate1, we started in Buenos Aires, toured Patagonia by coach, boarded the ship in Punta Arenas.  Did the Chilean fjords, Antarctica, Falklands and then up to Santiago.  It was the trip of a lifetime.

That was a fantastic trip!  We've done around the horn with Celebrity but didn't go to Falklands or a land tour of Patagonia.   Can leave that one on the bucket list!   Thanks for your encouragement!

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

Maria (or anyone who's following)

Can you tell me if you bring your own boots to go ashore?  

Thanks in advance.

No.  You have to wear the boots that they provide.  You'll walk through a disinfectant solution with brushes like a car wash when leaving and reentering the ship.  They don't want anything going ashore or being moved from one place to another.  You'll keep the boots in your cabin (we used under the bathroom sink) for the duration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

No.  You have to wear the boots that they provide.  You'll walk through a disinfectant solution with brushes like a car wash when leaving and reentering the ship.  They don't want anything going ashore or being moved from one place to another.  You'll keep the boots in your cabin (we used under the bathroom sink) for the duration.

Thanks so much!!  I knew about the solution (same as Galapagos) but not the boots.  Our friends will be much relieved about that....Floridians with no boots, l

1 minute ago, HokiePoq said:

Thanks so much!!  I knew about the solution (same as Galapagos) but not the boots.  Our friends will be much relieved about that....Floridians with no boots, l

Unfortunately we didn't know so brought boots and trekking poles which they also provided.