LA to Miami with New Locks

Seany527

I have some questions about the new set of locks through the Panama Canal.  I will be on the NCL Joy from LA to Miami in October 2019.  

Is there any value in reading "The Path Between the Seas" as I will be sailing with the new locks?

Is the experience the same between the old and new locks or will I feel 'short changed?'

Any other tips for cruisers sailing through on Mega Ships?  The information out there for the new locks is scarce. 

The value of reading "Path between the Seas" is the significant history of how this all came to be. Read it.

Nobody has come back and claimed they got short changed sailing through the new locks. If you are really interested in the Panama Canal, listen to all the presentations, and constantly be watching and enjoying the transit, the history, and the scenery.

NCL Bliss did that transit on Nov. 13 and it is documented here:  

starting with post #136.  (page 6).  If you are as high up as you can get after leaving the Cocoli Locks (Pacific side) your channel closes in to join the main channel and you can look to starboard and see the Pedro Miguel locks.  Not likely to be a cruise ship there, but maybe a cargo ship.  EM

Although you will be transiting the Canal using the new locks, that will really be the only thing that will be changed.  Your ship will use the same approaches to the Canal, pass through the Gaillard Cut and cross Gatun Lake.  The only difference is which set of locks are used. 

The history that the "Path" pertains to the whole Canal, while many people look at the locks as being the focal point of the Canal there were many other obstacles that  had to be cleared to create the Canal.  The Path deals what led to the building of the Canal... the French effort, the politics that got the US involved, the challenges of construction and of course the eradication of malaria and yellow fever.