On Spirit, Massive Noro Virus Outbreak

scottie99

4 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Massive Outbreak?  Outbreaks of any gastrointestinal illness, by law, must be reported to the CDC (Center For Disease Control) before a ship docks in U.S. waters.

It was not in US waters.

It is documented here but clearly the OP will have first hand experience of the severity.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/accidents/Norwegian-Spirit-702

As with any product, including hand sanitizers and surface disinfectants, it is very important to read the instructions for use. There is a specific amount of wet  contact time that the product needs to be on the surface to be effective.  Some products need only 30 seconds and others require 10 minutes (all products will evaporate/dry before 10 minutes).

5 hours ago, Midnight Traveller said:

On the Spirit now. Still practicing all the precautions. The captain said conditions are improving and may lift the extra precautions, not sure how much of that was just a calming of the masses....

Thank you & appreciate the newest Spirit update.  When we're informed onboard the Escape 3 weeks ago, the captain said it was reported among both crew members and passengers as measures were put in place - and, it stayed that way after a massive effort to do extra cleaning & inspection during ship's turnaround.  Subsequently, passenger on the next 14 days sailing that just came back this Sunday - reported, also, that all the measures remained in force.

The use of the term "massive" has different meanings to different folks, and is one way of getting attention - I know that I posted a standalone "alert" without calling it such, just that the acute virus symptoms were being reported - usually meaning 2% or more, 3% is a different threshold ... Either case, it is a significant #, 80 plus people for a Pearl class ships and 120 plus (crew & passengers in combo) for a mega ship.  

I just read another (not "verified") that even the ship (Escape)'s medical doctor onboard was among those being quarantined.  We also personally saw crew members suited up in all white, hazmat Level D PPE cleaning a passenger cabins, perhaps 25 or 30 doorways from us down the same straight corridor one early evening, as we headed out to dinner.  Cleaning solutions with a strong presence of bleach (diluted) mix were used to wash down the corridor's walls in the hallways, cabin doors & even the bathrooms ... including ours.  

We appreciated the efforts and thankfully, came home without symptoms - washy washy is proper hand washing with soap & running water, drying & minimize touching other contact surface when possible, etc.  

3 hours ago, Mini&Me_Cruisers said:

it isn't the pee that's the problem (urine is actually sterile in most healthy people)...its the bit you're holding while doing so

LOL, I figured I would get a comment or two. Just messing around..Washy Washy...

3 hours ago, Bootman4U said:

I wasn't aware that the term "massive" had such a definite meaning in terms of numbers but it looks impressive when you stick it into a title doesn't it?

What is your point? Whilst the Captain would not divulge numbers, the outbreak had a “massive “ effect on our cruise in terms of enjoyment.

The whole cruise became a cleaning exercise, one could not relax.

Yes, I used the word “massive “ to emphasise the situation and draw attention to it, thus warning passengers cruising the following trip what to expect. 

Why do you take exception the use of the word?

22 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

What is your point? Whilst the Captain would not divulge numbers, the outbreak had a “massive “ effect on our cruise in terms of enjoyment.

The whole cruise became a cleaning exercise, one could not relax.

Yes, I used the word “massive “ to emphasise the situation and draw attention to it, thus warning passengers cruising the following trip what to expect. 

Why do you take exception the use of the word?

Scottie99,

we were on the Spirit returning on Jan 24, supposedly the day you left. And although we would attribute cleaning to the rough seas on Jan 22-23 and the accompanying seasickness (we did not see anyone get sick), nobody would doubt your perception, confirmation of noro and subsequent lack of enjoyment of the cruise.

However, calling something 'massive' in the title of the thread has such a negative connotation, especially since NCL is taking great pains to contain the situation, that I am sad to have the Spirit and our cruise (including 'washy, washy) portrayed in that light.

We were on a NCL ship once that had a noro outbreak.  They took great pains to make sure no one was touching anything - buffet being served, no salt and pepper shakers, etc.  Except slot machines..... I thin NCL has done some pretty solid studies saying you cant get noro from slot machines.....:classic_laugh: