Just back from The Seaside

mvh

This is my take on the MSC Seaside from the lowest experience available, (an inside Bella). A little bit about us.  My wife and I are in our early 50’s and traveled with another couple in their mid 30’s.  We have been on about 20 cruises and our friends have been on about 5. We have sailed RCI, Carnival, NCL, Princess and now our first MSC. So, we can really do a decent comparison.   I won’t be reviewing any of the ports simply because I have been to all of them several times and this was more about the ship.  First off, let’s start by saying we all loved it.  We were in an inside Bella room, but were put in a handicap room which was huge.  We told the service desk that we did not need it and felt guilty, but they told us to keep it. So, we really enjoyed the extra space.  Our friends had the Aurea balcony and said it was decent size, but liked ours better.  We were able to eat with them in the MY Time Dining after the first night with no problem. We had the Deluxe drk pkg and our friends had the classic.  We had no problem ordering four drinks at a time from anything on the menu.  Even if something wasn’t covered on the Classic pkg, they would give it to use by scanning one of the Deluxe cards or wrist bands.  In my honest opinion, next to the RCI Oasis class, this is the nicest, most impressive ship I have ever been on. 

Pros:  The ship itself is stunning

The bars were all awesome with excellent crafted drinks, not just premade like NCL.

Service was great everywhere in my opinion.

Main dining room food was way above average to very good.  Food was hot and salads were   

excellent. I can’t believe people complain about small portions, just ask for something else.

Pizza was the best I’ve had at sea by far.

Lots of available chairs by the pool.

Pool areas were very large.

Water slides were good.

Cons:  Entertainment overall.  Yes, they were very talented, but it was the same thing every night.  They

did not have a good dance band.  There was no fun piano bar to sing along with.  Our biggest

disappointment was there was no pool band,  really missed that.

Not enough bar tenders.  The service was good, but slow at times due to lack of bar tenders.

Doors.  I wish they had more sliding doors than doors you had to push or pull open.

Hot in some areas. Needed more A/C in some areas.  However, none of the cons were deal

breakers.

Overall this was an excellent cruise and it was more similar than different than the other cruise lines we have sailed.  The biggest difference was the clientele, which did not bother us in the slightest.  I would say it was about 30% American to 70% European.  If that bothers you, go elsewhere.  If not, you should have no problem sailing this ship even at the lowest level, which is an incredible value.  I will try to answer any questions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hummer88 said:

thanks for the review,

how were you able to dine with your friends at the my time dining?  did you try and link your reservations to get an assigned seating at all?

It probably wasn't the norm, but our friends just went up and said table for four at the door and the never even questioned it.  It was the same thing whenever we ordered drinks.  They just checked one of our wrist bands.  Once at Venci they said there drinks were not covered, so I scanned mine and they said no problem.  Same with the infused cocktails.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hummer88 said:

ok, thanks,  good to know,   I'm thinking that won't work with 4 adults and 5 children ( one family has wellness and one is fantastica)

You never know,  can't hurt to ask.  We had our back up time if it didn't work, but they just happened to have the open space and were very accommodating.

• Like 1

I do think sometimes that the complaints are due to the clientele on board especially if you have always used RCI and others MSC has always been a very european sided company and as said if you don't like that sort of mixture on board then stay with the ones you like

I honestly felt that those who did not like it had already predetermined that they would not like it and found things to complain about.  Is not enough storage really something to complain about and ruin your cruise?  Portions too small, really? Order another one.  Oh yea, I also thought the deep pools were great.  Never too crowded and easy to hang by the side.  One of my favorite ships.  Although, I could have done with a few less Speedos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mvh said:

Although, I could have done with a few less Speedos.

I find this a really interesting observation that a lot of people make and some not all think its absolutely awful.

However in some parts of Europe this is the type of swim wear men wear.

So my question is this:

(not to the OP who it seems was just making an observation more to those that relly get upset by it and add it to their long list of complaints against MSC 😀 

If you were going on a cruise in the part of the world where this was considered the normal attire  would you as someone who abhors it buy Speedos as it conforms to their culture ?

My guess would be "no" i would wear what i always do. But apparently we think it's not acceptable in the reverse. Hmmmmm😏

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

If you were going on a cruise in the part of the world where this was considered the normal attire  would you as someone who abhors it buy Speedos as it conforms to their culture ?

My guess would be "no" i would wear what i always do. But apparently we think it's not acceptable in the reverse. Hmmmmm😏

I'm not European or Australian or Brazilian or whatever else is a region where it's 'okay' for a man to sport a Speedo. I'm a Southern American who has worn Speedos at the beach at the pool at nicer resorts and on cruise ships for over 40 years. Yes, I embarrassed the hell out of my kids. 😁 And my wife still insists I don't have a good enough body to wear one.😕 I prefer the comfort and the tan. So the Speedos will be packed for our cruise next month.

sorry for the rant.  I did just put a bag of popcorn in the microwave. 😁😁😁😁

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just stumbled upon this thread.  I find that half the onlookers appreciate a man in brief bathing attire, half hate it, and half simply couldn't care less. ( I know, that totals three halves:classic_tongue:

Dennis, I'm right there with you.  One can never please everyone, all the time - so I also boldly exercise my option.  

Got my popcorn too.  Pass the salt, if you would be so kind.

Rep

• Like 1

We are considering our first MSC cruise only having ever sailed on NCL so far. We have sailed on the Escape twice and the Gem once. Will be sailing on the Bliss this Saturday!

Since you have sailed NCL before, have you sailed on any of the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus class ships and how did you feel the experience overall compared on the Seaside?

Edited by JamieLogical

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We are considering our first MSC cruise only having ever sailed on NCL so far. We have sailed on the Escape twice and the Gem once. Will be sailing on the Bliss this Saturday!

Since you have sailed NCL before, have you sailed on any of the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus class ships and how did you feel the experience overall compared on the Seaside?

Yes, I have sailed on the Escape and loved it.  However, I do like the Seaside (the ship anyway) better.  I think the pool and deck areas are much better on the Seaside, not nearly as cramped and easy to get a chair by the pool.  The drink package was much better.  It actually includes water and coffee, plus the drinks were much better and hand made.  They were not premixed mojitos like NCL.  Although, NCL has a much more fun party vibe and crowd in my opinion.  So, a little give and take.  The biggest difference to us was the value.  MSC was much, much less expensive (even with the drink package) for just as good of a cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Just got off the Bliss - was good but very different vibe from Seaside   (book go carts and laser tag early)  dont miss Jersey boys and Cagneys steak house  

56 minutes ago, leos037 said:

Just got off the Bliss - was good but very different vibe from Seaside   (book go carts and laser tag early)  dont miss Jersey boys and Cagneys steak house  

Oh I know all about booking go karts and laser tag early. We booked this sailing a full year ago before the Bliss even launched and have followed all the news and reviews since. And I've eaten at Cagney's three times on other NCL ships. We are actually booked for a few of the restaurants we haven't tried already this time.

Can you explain what you mean by "different vibe"?

Jamie      Here is  someone who put it nicely in a post :    main difference - mainly European passengers and not as many places to eat 🙂    

"MSC is pretty unique.

It operates on a different model than the mainstream lines 

You pick you cabin, and Experience. Each Experience has different inclusions, and different price points, versus mainstream lines where everyone gets the same basic services and option, with suites possibly paying more for more options. Experiences include Bella, Fantastica, Wellness, Aurea or Yacht Club. 

Many people who have been unhappy wirh MSC seen to not understand the Experience differences and are expecting the same thing found on other lines.. 

It's also more European in focus - service standards and so forth are much more European than USA.. Many people complain about "unfriendly" or "impersonal" service - because the staff aboard is not in your face every five minutes asking how things are, nor making like you're best friends after one meeting. Rather, they're efficient, friendly, and to business, but not fawning, buddy buddy, new best friend type..... Much more like dining or bars in Europe... It suits some, and not others - especially those who are expecting things to be like other lines. 

Demographic aboard are much more diverse than your mainstream lines also. That is a plus to many, and a drawback to some. Announcements are in several languages. Menus are in several languages. Customs among the passengers are different, and so forth.

That's much of its appeal to many people - it's different, and stands out in a crowded field. But there's a fair amount who haven't done any research really, don't understand the more European focus, and just booked the lowest price, and then are upset about charges or dining options or demographics aboard or whatnot. 

1 hour ago, leos037 said:

Jamie      Here is  someone who put it nicely in a post :    main difference - mainly European passengers and not as many places to eat 🙂    

"MSC is pretty unique.

It operates on a different model than the mainstream lines 

You pick you cabin, and Experience. Each Experience has different inclusions, and different price points, versus mainstream lines where everyone gets the same basic services and option, with suites possibly paying more for more options. Experiences include Bella, Fantastica, Wellness, Aurea or Yacht Club. 

Many people who have been unhappy wirh MSC seen to not understand the Experience differences and are expecting the same thing found on other lines.. 

It's also more European in focus - service standards and so forth are much more European than USA.. Many people complain about "unfriendly" or "impersonal" service - because the staff aboard is not in your face every five minutes asking how things are, nor making like you're best friends after one meeting. Rather, they're efficient, friendly, and to business, but not fawning, buddy buddy, new best friend type..... Much more like dining or bars in Europe... It suits some, and not others - especially those who are expecting things to be like other lines. 

Demographic aboard are much more diverse than your mainstream lines also. That is a plus to many, and a drawback to some. Announcements are in several languages. Menus are in several languages. Customs among the passengers are different, and so forth.

That's much of its appeal to many people - it's different, and stands out in a crowded field. But there's a fair amount who haven't done any research really, don't understand the more European focus, and just booked the lowest price, and then are upset about charges or dining options or demographics aboard or whatnot. 

Just of the Seaside and could not disagree more about this.  This cruise and service was absolutely no different than any of the past 20 cruises I have been on as far as service and staff.  The ONLY difference I noticed was the clientele itself, which was not a bad thing, just mostly European.  As far as the "Experiences", we found no difference.  Our friends were Aurea and we were Bella and it made no difference.  Our room and service was exactly the same, we just paid $1,200 less and had a better drink package. It may be worth the upcharge for some, it just didn't make sense to us. However, I do like having the option.

• Like 1

OP, thank you for your review.  Glad to see you liked it.  We are booked in Nov. for 28 days on the Seaside and we can't wait!  We also are in Bella inside. Hoping it is as great as the Divina was last month.  We had an awesome 32 days on the Divina.  MSC is our new go to  cruise line!

29 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We have sailed with NCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity.  41 cruises total with 18 on Carnival being the most.

That's exciting. We have been sailing with NCL. In fact sailing on the Bliss in 2 days, but we are looking at booking our first MSC sailing fro September, so I am eager to hear from people who have sailed both!

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That's exciting. We have been sailing with NCL. In fact sailing on the Bliss in 2 days, but we are looking at booking our first MSC sailing fro September, so I am eager to hear from people who have sailed both!

I have sailed on Carnival as well as a small handful of NCL lines. I've been on Seaside once and liked it enough to have her booked for early March for its Western sailing. I liked it a lot! I did miss some of the silly games we played on NCL. But I may have just missed it. Loved the pools, especially Deck 7 Southbeach (which could be why I perceive it being subdued LOL). We were Bella OV last time with an upgrade to a Fantastica balcony. It definitely heightened our excitement. We outright booked a Fantastica balcony this time.

The only thing I find myself wanting to advise if you are coming from a Norwegian "Freestyle" sailing is that you may miss the Freesestyle aspect or lack thereof. You basically get rewarded the better the experience you book! Don't misunderstand me please, but Bella experience seems to draw the less desirable dining slots be it very earlt or very late. Neither of which I was impressed with. I prefer the most desirable slots at or near 7:00. It wasn't a deal breaker in any way, just an observation. I was treated just as good as anyone else, just feel that a Bella bookings have a lower pecking order with a desired dining slot. If that is super important to you (for me it isn't) then I have to recommend booking an Aurea experience. I myself will pocket that savings to other things.

Also, i really enjoyed MSC entertainment in theater. I miss and wish there were comedians, but oh well...

• Like 1