Halifax DIY excursion - Yay or Nay

olemissreb

My mom and I will be in Halifax on October 4th from 7a-7p.  I can't see to find an excursion that fits all that we might want to do - and realize that even a DIY might have to give something u up.  Anyway, I'm thinking that it might be cheaper for us to rent a car and drive out to the Annapolis Valley to tour a couple of wineries and maybe have lunch out there before returning and stopping at the Fairview Lawn Cemetery (Titanic site) as well as the Mount Olivet Cemetery.   Maybe even see the Citadel and Public Gardens.  Is this doable?  How are the roads?  Am I a crazy American looking for trouble trying to drive on Canadian roads? 🙂 

If this sounds doable and not totally insane, can you give me suggestions on what wineries to visit and where to have lunch either along the way or in the Annapolis Valley (or at a winery - I think I read where one of the tours does that, but can't remember which tour or which winery!)?

Thanks for all the help!

I did find an interesting tour that was done on vintage motorcycles with sidecars - we loved that idea, but sadly the company has ceased operations.  Any other unique suggestions like that?

• Like 1

When my husband and I visited Halifax in October 2017 we walked from the port to the Citadel, enjoyed lunch at a local restaurant, visited the Public Gardens, and browsed the boardwalk on the way back.  It was a very enjoyable day.

Your plan to rent a car sounds fine.  My experience with Canadian roads (ON, NB, and NS) is they are very similar to US.  We drive on the same side, you will just want to watch your speed in KMPH rather than MPH.  Generally, Canadians are very polite too, so the driving might even be kinder and gentler than what you find on our side of the border.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

When my husband and I visited Halifax in October 2017 we walked from the port to the Citadel, enjoyed lunch at a local restaurant, visited the Public Gardens, and browsed the boardwalk on the way back.  It was a very enjoyable day.

Your plan to rent a car sounds fine.  My experience with Canadian roads (ON, NB, and NS) is they are very similar to US.  We drive on the same side, you will just want to watch your speed in KMPH rather than MPH.  Generally, Canadians are very polite too, so the driving might even be kinder and gentler than what you find on our side of the border.

Thank you! Mom will be 82 in April and can't walk that much. I had originally thought we might do something like you and your DH did, but this past November, Mom's back and knees started really bothering her, so I nixed that idea in the hopes of keeping her relatively pain free.

Good to hear that time wise it sounds doable.

• Like 2

You can definitely rent a car and go to Wolfville. You would need to allow for lots of cushion time in coming back. The roads are partly divided highway and partly just two lane. Here is a rough map. I picked just two vineyards. They both have good wines and Lightfoot and Wolfville would be a great place for lunch.

You could bring along your own GPS or phone with google maps (predownload the area you will be visiting) or rent a car with GPS. That way you can more easily concentrate on driving. map

This document will give more information and do come back here with questions if you have them. Halifax for cruise ship visitors

Annapolis Valley information including wineries

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:23 PM, maryann ns said:

You can definitely rent a car and go to Wolfville. You would need to allow for lots of cushion time in coming back. The roads are partly divided highway and partly just two lane. Here is a rough map. I picked just two vineyards. They both have good wines and Lightfoot and Wolfville would be a great place for lunch.

You could bring along your own GPS or phone with google maps (predownload the area you will be visiting) or rent a car with GPS. That way you can more easily concentrate on driving. map

This document will give more information and do come back here with questions if you have them. Halifax for cruise ship visitors

Annapolis Valley information including wineries

Thank you MaryAnn.  I've already downloaded your Halifax for cruise ship visitors.  Very helpful.   When you say lots of cushion time - is the traffic worse coming back than going?  How much "cushion time"?  We always try to get back at least 1 hour before all aboard time. Do we need to allow for more than that?  Thank you so much for the wonderful links!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, maryann ns said:

I don't really know about the traffic, but it would be rush hour when you are coming back so in the city it may be a bit slow. Leaving extra time such as the hour you plan is what I meant.

Great! Thanks for the info.  Looking at which wineries we might want to hit and then give ourselves time to get back and see the cemeteries, return the car and get aboard ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We pretty much did your planned itinerary on a private tour the last time we were in Halifax.  We had lunch in Halls Harbor, which you don't mention (it's not far from Wolfville).  One of its claims to fame are the extreme tides (swing of 10-12 ft) on that side of Nova Scotia.  I'm fascinated by extreme tides so I was a happy camper 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, maryann ns said:

Thank you Maryann for this guide found it very useful. 

We will be in Halifax in May and just starting to look at private excursion to include Maritime Museum, Fairview Cemetery  eiher Peggys Cove or Acadian Maple. So the information provided as got me off to a good start.

So mom and I are still planning on doing this as our excursion, but our port day has changed.  Instead of being there on a Friday, we are now there on a Wednesday.  Will traffic be any heavier or lighter?  We're still there from 7a-7p and plan to be back in Halifax by 3p(ish) to turn in the car and then check out Nova Scotian Crystal before heading back to the ship. 

Love these boards.  They've been so helpful over the years and have led me to some great excursions and places to eat/drink!

23 hours ago, maryann ns said:

I do not live in Halifax but I would not think there would be a huge difference in traffic between Wed. and Friday.

Thank you. I just know in Atlanta, traffic is always worse on a Friday afternoon than a Wed.  Everyone is wanting to get out of town and start the weekend, so that's why I asked.  Now for me to start booking things.