Do you agree that the food quality in the buffet is tasteless and is poor quality?

librarygal

We recently traveled with a large group of family on one of the largest Cruise ships.  Everyone had a different experience on the boat but there was one thing nearly everyone agreed to:  the food quality at the buffet was just awful.  Poor quality ingredients, tasteless and in many times cold and tough. Why did we keep going back to the buffet?  Because it was easy and did not include going to a place where we had to wait for a waitress.

What happened to the Cruise Ship Buffet?  It used to be so good with twice the selection.  The food quality used to be pretty good. used to be tasty.

Was everyone in our group who complained about the buffet wrong? 

You didn't get much sympathy on your last thread, so you decided to try another approach. There is not one person who has cruised for any number of years who says the food on any except the luxury lines is the same quality it was 10 years ago. The mass market lines have found that they have success appealing to people who want to spend the least amount of money possible to get on the ship. That being the case, something has to give.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

You didn't get much sympathy on your last thread, so you decided to try another approach. There is not one person who has cruised for any number of years who says the food on any except the luxury lines is the same quality it was 10 years ago. The mass market lines have found that they have success appealing to people who want to spend the least amount of money possible to get on the ship. That being the case, something has to give.

When our cruise director was introducing the staff he brought up the cooking staff and told everyone about the GREAT food onboard and people cheered and cheered.  So at least that crowd thought the food was great.

I actually like the food on offer at the buffet.  We tend to have a big breakfast and dinner so the buffet for lunch is fine.  All we usually have is a homemade sandwich (choose our own fillings) with a side salad (and if I'm being honest often a plate of French fries!).  Can't go wrong with that.

We have had the occasional breakfast as well and always go for the freshly made omelettes, etc.  Often on offer is food that isn't on the menu in the MDR.

Only once had dinner in the buffet and enjoyed it.

Food is a very subjective matter; what one person likes another one hates.

I was comparing the food in the ship to places like Old Country Buffet and various cafeterias I have eaten at like Luby's, Morrison's and Piccadilly and most Las Vegas Hotel Buffets.  I consider the food quality at these places to be about a "5" on a 1-10 scale.  The cafeteria food in the Carnival Horizon is about a "3"

A person can only eat poor quality food for so long before your body and mind rejects it and it leaves a negative impression, and then you can go hungry. 

Edited by librarygal
  • Like 1

Don't expect quality food at a buffet whether on board or on shore because that's not what they are there for.  They are about quantity not quality.  A buffet is a trough serving up food that is all too often greasy and/or too salty, left in the open air for too long and quickly congealing if it is not rapidly scooped up by patrons piling their plates.  

Edited by K32682

1 minute ago, librarygal said:

I was comparing the food in the ship to places like Old Country Buffet and various cafeterias I have eaten at like Luby's, Morrison's and Piccadilly and most Las Vegas Hotel Buffets.  I consider the food quality at these places to be about a "5" on a 1-10 scale.  The cafeteria food in the Carnival Horizon is about a "3"

I strongly suggest you change your vacation choice from cruising to something else.  You clearly don't enjoy it as expressed by all your recent threads which demonstrate nothing more than your dissatisfaction with your experiences on board.

Either that your you simply have an agenda of eliciting pointed responses through exaggerated controversial statements that provide little positive value to any meaningful cruise discussion.

In either case it has become very tiring and I for one won't be drawn in any more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

no I do not agree that overall the buffet is tasteless and poor quality.   there may be one or two individual items that meet that description, but  otherwise, nope.

the  fruits and veggies are  very fresh, you can get eggs made to order in the morning, there are carving stations   for lunch and dinner and a good variety of hot items to choose from in a variety of  cuisines.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, librarygal said:

A person can only eat poor quality food for so long before your body and mind rejects it and it leaves a negative impression, and then you can go hungry. 

your first mistake was deciding to eat Buffet food exclusively because you were too important to be waited on apparently.    buffets by design are mass produced lower  quality items where minimal care is taken to ensure freshness.    if you cannot be bothered to  try out any of the other venues, thats on you.  

You seem to have a history in your 71 post count (as of this point) of attempting to bash everything related to cruising.  Other people are too loud, the food stinks, you didn't get any sleep, and so on.  Get over yourself.  I don't know if you are always a super negative person or you simply are looking for either (1) sympathy or (2) to incite others to disagreements.  

I was on the Norwegian Jade in late November and early December of last year, and since I travel as a solo I usually just go to the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants.  The food in the buffet on the Jade was very good in my opinion.  I was always able to find something that I thought was delicious and well prepared.  You don't have the presentation you get when dining in the MDR but I had no problems with any of the dishes or the variety of different dishes available each time.  Of course the specialty restaurants were better but you pay more for that better quality as well.  I think it may vary from cruise line to cruise line as some are better than others when it comes to the buffet.  I have sailed on most of the mass market lines and have not had any that I found to be terrible.  Yes, some were better than others, but I was always able to find something that I liked.

Edited by travelnap

I have yet to find a 'Michelin starred' buffet.  The food quality in a buffet  is good to adequate. 

You are obviously unhappy with cruising and perhaps would be happier staying in Vegas where you can enjoy the buffet withour any sea sickness or rough seas.

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I have yet to find a 'Michelin starred' buffet.  The food quality in a buffet  is good to adequate. 

You are obviously unhappy with cruising and perhaps would be happier staying in Vegas where you can enjoy the buffet withour any sea sickness or rough seas.

See post #22. 

Oceania's Terrace Café often includes some GDR options, focused meal themes, "a la minute" preparations (including lobster/steak) and a casual atmosphere with food served by galley staff (no touching please!), full bar service and "al fresco" seating available.

While perhaps not appropriate for a Michelin star, I find the Terrace Café food to be as good as that found in some San Francisco restaurants with 2-3 star reviews in the SF Chronicle. 

• Like 1