Requesting to change room category 2 weeks before cruise

mhg7274

We booked back in September for an inside guarantee room for an upcoming cruise (Feb 13, 11 days). When we booked there was a significant price difference between an inside guarantee and the ocean view or veranda. We paid $3600 for 2 people for an inside and at the time an oceanview was $5600 and a veranda was $6700 (a difference of $2000 and $3100 per room respectively). The room prices have dropped and are now $3510 for inside, $3900 for inside and $4400 for veranda.

Is it too late to call our rep and pay the difference for an outside or veranda room or is it best to wait to see what we are assigned on our guarantee?  

It is not too late to call HAL (if you used a TA you have to go through them) and ask.  You never know what their answer will be, so know what you are willing to do when they make you an offer.  

Having said that, since you are only 2 weeks out you could easily be getting an "upsell"email  offer from them anytime now.  Personally, I would wait to see what they offer you as they usually offer a better deal than if you call.  Of course, you could call and only accept their price if it was real good and then wait and see if a better one comes along.  

One thing to keep in mind - HAL aggressively uses the upsell email process to generate more revenue, which has made it less likely for people to get generous free upgrades (it does happen though, but not as often as previously). 

On the Koningsdam last year.....I had booked a guarantee oceanview room and was assigned a cabin...

About two weeks before the cruise....I noticed that the verandah's were advertised at the same price....

I emailed my PCC at HAL....and she switched us to a nice verandah.....for no additional cost....and it was great....!!!

Bottom line.....yes.....it doesn't hurt to ask...............:)

My HAL rep called today just to see if we needed anything so I mentioned the price difference etc.... she said that she would check into things and call back. She called back and said that HAL sent out an email today about paid upgrades (it finally came in a few hours later) and the paid upgrade from an inside to Verandah (VQ to VF) was $844 CDN pp, Obstructed was $779 CDN pp and Oceanview is $454 CDN pp. We'd love a verandah, but not sure that the $1688.00 CDN is worth is. We will wait and see what we are assigned and hope for the best. Either way we will be away from the snow soon