Canary Islands, What pier for each island.

lamchops

I'm trying to plan DIY excursions and would like to know which pier or dock the NCL Spirit is using in each port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by those on our roll call.

Arrecife, Lanzarote

Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Madeira , Portugal

We were on Spirit Jan 11-24. 

For Arrecife, Lanzarote, we rental a car for 50 Euro including tax and insurnace . Walk out of dock area, follow City Centre sign, walk for about 5 minutes. You will  see Tourist Information Centre. Car rental is in Tourist info centre.

We visited  Mirador del Rio,  Jameos del Agua under ground lake, cave,  Cueva de los Verdes (skip this, waste of time) ,  Timanfaya National Park  all in one day.

For Las Palmas Grand Canaria, we hired a taxi. You need to barin with drivers.

For Tenerife, I booked  with Nacho (taxi) nachosvipservice@icloud.com   He is very knowledge and straight forward guy. No tricks/games with tourists. 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, lamchops said:

I'm trying to plan DIY excursions and would like to know which pier or dock the NCL Spirit is using in each port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by those on our roll call.

Arrecife, Lanzarote

Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Madeira , Portugal

I'm going to 3 of those ports on the Spirit in March.  I think the info you need you can find on the ncl port site... 

Madeira: https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-funchal

Arrecife: https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-lanzarote

Santa Cruz: https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-santa-cruz-de-tenerife

Las Palmas: https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-las-palmas

• Like 1

For Malaga port, there is shuttle bus to take you from ship to dock entrance for about 2 Euro each way.  We chose to walk, there are shops and restaurants along the way, it is a short walk. 

We took a van taxi from Malaga dock to Gibalfaro castle for 20 Euro shared by 8 people .  From Gibalfaro castle we walked to Alcazaba.  It is a down hill walk.   If you go to Alcazaba first, then it would be a step up hill walk to Gibalfaro.  Bettter let taxi climb the hill to Gibalfaro. 

15 hours ago, sysy007 said:

For Arrecife  Lanzarote.  Spirit docked at red circle.  Blue circle is Tourist info center, inside there is Cicar car rental counter. 

Capture1.JPG

Thanks! This is the kind of information that I was looking for. There appears to be many areas that a ship can dock and knowing the pier makes a big difference. Are the cicar rental cars near the tourist information or do they shuttle you to the other pier? 

The NCL site just names the port and whether you dock or tender. It purposely doesn’t give enough information for do it yourselfers. They want you on their excursions.

I think I’ve figured out a walking tour of Funchal but am still looking for “pier “ information for Tenerife and Las Palmas.

Edited by lamchops
Update

Lanzarote - The cicar car rental is inside Tourist information center. You work out of dock area. Following CITY CENTER sign. Walk 5 minutes, you will see Tourist Information center on your right hand side. Big building you can't miss it. There is no shuttle bus  and taxi driver would not take you to Tourist info center because it is a very short walk. 

Funchal :

our Spirit docked right next to "Funchal cruise terminal" .  Search "funchal cruise terminal" on google map.

Inside funchal cruise terminal building, there is a cafe on 2nd floor.  They let you use their wifi if you buy something. 

If you are a  European football fan. There is a CR7 hotel and CR7 Museum about 5 minute talk from dock.  

I find Nuns Valley very impressive. Nuns Valley is like Grand Canyon you have to be there to experience it. I highly recommend nuns valley. 

My Vadafone pre-pay SIM which I got in Barcelona does not work with in Funchal on Data, no LTE no 3G in Funchal.

IMG_6288.jpg

• Like 1

Correction - The car rental company in Lazarote dock Tourist Information center is CABRERA MEDINA. I booked from their internet site. Agent at rental counter did not ask for my driver licence or passport. They have my driver licence information during online booking.  I am surprised that agent did not check my ID etc.    I suppose the island is so small that I can't hide.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For the three ports in the Canaries you'll need transport - there's little or nothing of interest in walking distance. For car rentals, Cicar is the main car rental agency, and they're very good - I've used them on most islands. Clean late cars, sensible pricing, maps - and sometimes CDs - provided, none of the sharp practices employed by many rental agencies. Collect and return arrangements vary from port to port.

Arrecife (Lanzarote) - if you ship berths where 007 says, the Cicar depot is adjacent the marina, which is just before the cruise berth - a simple 5 - 10 min walk from your ship.

If you berth on the opposite side of the harbour, there is a Cicar office at the start of the pier, but you may be met there and driven to the marina depot. That's a ten minute drive. But when that's happened to us we've been able to return the car to our ship's berth & put the key thro the office door.

(Lamchop's post suggests my Cicar location may be out-of-date. No matter, no more than a five-minute walk between the two locations)

Las Palmas (Gran Canaria) - I'm pretty certain that all cruise ships berth at Muelle de Sta Catalina. The Cicar office is in the long central building which runs most of the length of the pier, and they have an allocated section of the multi-storey carpark which occupies the landward end of that building.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife - your ship may be berthed on the Muelle Norte, a short walk to the cruise terminal................

Or you may berth on the Muelle Sur, again a short walk but for ships berthed at the far end there's a short shuttlebus ride (I think it's free).

For all ships, it's the Cicar depot at the cruise terminal.

Funchal (Madeira). All cruise ships berth on the Pontinha, the long (very long) pier which protects the harbour. The town is very walkable if you're berthed at the landward end, but a very long hike from the seaward end. The cruise terminal is halfway along, ho-ho buses and taxis there. Or closer to the landward end, a turnaround for little retro tourist vans (similar to those in Yellowstone or Glacier Nat Park's Going-to-the-Sun Road). €2 one-way fare (might be out-of-date) to the bottom cablecar station or old-town centre.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1