Proper Clothing for China Temples and Shrines

supersecdd

Wear something casual but respectful and you'll be fine.  No short-shorts, bikini-tank tops, flip-flops. 

Dining in China is causal, jackets/tie not required unless your going to have formal (first meeting) dinner with a potential Chinese business partner or CCP-gov't official.   Or if you go to a Western-style Michelin starred restaurant, but why would you go to a Western-style Michelin starred restaurant in China :classic_wacko:

I've only worn a suit once in 20 something years of travel to China and that was only because we were meeting gov't & CCP officials.  

Stepping ON soap box: Unlike other countries like Japan or Thailand; Mainland Chinese temples are basically tourist sites as the CCP discourages religious practices.  They allow the Shaolin monks (kung fu) to do their thing because it brings in tourist $$.     Note Chinese temples in Hong Kong and Taiwan are active religious places.  Stepping OFF soap box.

Edited by Philob

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, zukecruiser said:

Will be going to China with Viking Ocean this September.  Wondering if Chinese currency is needed or if a credit card can be used at most restaurants. Thanks for any suggestions.

Credit cards widely accepted but you should have some Yen for small shops and vendors you either want to buy from or tip. Make sure you notify the card companies of your travel plans

Edited by SakeDad

We go to China every couple of years to visit the in-laws.

Best to have Chinese currency (yuan).   Unless the establishment caters to "foreigners" like western branded hotels or the restaurants in them they will accept only Chinese currency, a Union Pay card, or apps like WePay or AliPay.  You can even give "donations" to beggars with one of the apps.

SWMBO had taken her schoolmates out for a dim sum lunch at a high-end restaurant and could not use her Visa or MasterCard.  The restaurant only accepted a Union Pay card or one of the above apps.  Fortunately one of her schoolmates bailed her out and paid with one of the apps.   

Perhaps in Beijing or Shanghai where there are more foreigners, there is more credit card acceptance.

OTH if one of your ports is Hong Kong, then many establishments there will accept credit cards; however some places will add a 2-4% surcharge to cover the swipe fee.

29 minutes ago, zukecruiser said:

Thanks for the information.  Getting some Yuan before we leave makes sense.  Credit card will be AmEx, hope this is not a problem in China.

I always (5 times) use my AmEx to check in to my hotel (Grand Central in Shanghai)...but I don't use or need to or would anywhere else...I take/get enough Yuan for my extensive shopping :classic_laugh:

Edited by Ashland

18 hours ago, zukecruiser said:

Getting some Yuan before we leave makes sense. 

I always use local ATMs (in China, I get money at the airport). It's expensive to get money in advance but super easy & cheap to get from an ATM while traveling....(cheap because the exchange rate is usually the best at an ATM and I don't pay fees for ATM use with my vacation money market acct)

I agree that I prefer cash in China. I've only used my credit card once or twice - Hyatt in Shanghai is actually the only thing I remember off the top of my head, and I actually ended up paying a lot of my bill in cash because it was half a work trip and they'd reimbursed my expenses in cash before I left 😉 

• 2 months later...

Cash is king, but in Shanghai the locals used AliPay or WePay. We held up a long line of customers in a Starbucks when we paid a souvenir mug with our credit card. We felt like dinosaurs. Everyone else just put the phone on the reader and that was it.

We always bring AmEx, Visa and Mastercard on overseas trips. Some countries are better with one or the other.

Not sure if you need this still, but there's no dress code for temples/shrines in China beyond "please keep the naughty bits contained". They're chill like that.

Amex tends to be somewhat more limited compared to Mastercard and Visa.

Most "large" Chinese places (that is, owned by multinational corps) will accept credit cards. Smaller places will take cash. I do believe WeChat has the ability to link a non-Chinese bank so that you can use WePay that way.

About 8 years ago I was sitting in a pedestrian mall (along with 10 other husbands) waiting for SWMBO to finish her shopping.  It was hot and someone was selling Coke a Cola by the bottle.  I was short 1 yuan 🙁

Fast forward to last year, same bench, same mall, still waiting, but had plenty of cash and loose change.  The booth selling Coke was still there :classic_smile: 

No cash.  AliPay or WePay only 😒

• Haha 1