Is it okay to wear my wedding ring

kbg12379

Wearing valuable jewelry is always fine until it is not!  Talk to somebody who loses something valuable and they will usually say "I had that &&^^ for years."   Just saying.

Hank

My wife bought me a cheap rubberlike ring that I switch to when leaving the ship so I don't risk losing my wedding ring again. My original one came off in Lake Michigan when were at the dunes (sad times)...  At least the Jeweler felt sorry for us and gave us a nice discount on replacing it.  And thank goodness it was mine and not hers.  But from that point on I wear the cheap rubber one when I go swimming or when I'm on a shore visit on a cruise.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fun conversation.  Let me add perspective.  If your ring is worth anything above sentimental value, it should be taken care of with your home owners insurance.  My wife doesnt wear hers in some ports to not draw attention.  You arent going to be held up at gun point because of your ring and asked to remove it, but you may become a target to grab your purse.  If you dont feel comfortable, just throw it in the safe.  You could probably leave it sitting on the nightstand in your room and never have a problem.  There is also the possibility of beach, water, lotion, sunblock, etc allowing the ring to slip off and losing it that way.  If you are that worried, leave it at home.  If your husband is that worried that you arent wearing a wedding ring, that is his own insecurities and his problem(not saying that is the case here, but guys really dont care if you are wearing a ring when they try to pick up on you)

Married for almost 40 years and been around the world many times on cruise ships, cargo ships and land holidays. Visited many of the worst ports in the world and haven't found a need to remove my wedding ring. DW removes her diamond rings in some ports.

Is it a risk, yes, but in my experience the frequency of incidents involving pax or crew is fairly low.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, MWBearFan said:

My wife bought me a cheap rubberlike ring that I switch to when leaving the ship so I don't risk losing my wedding ring again. My original one came off in Lake Michigan when were at the dunes (sad times)...  At least the Jeweler felt sorry for us and gave us a nice discount on replacing it.  And thank goodness it was mine and not hers.  But from that point on I wear the cheap rubber one when I go swimming or when I'm on a shore visit on a cruise.  

Those silicone wedding bands are getting quite popular. I noticed Alyssa from Griff & Alyssa, wears one quite frequently as well.

Edited by Sean_B

You need to be careful about Home Owner's insurance policies and jewelry.  Many policies only cover each item up to $2,500.  So you might have a ring that's worth $15,000 but is is only insured for $2,500.  Read the fine print on your policy to find out.  If you have a rider for jewelry, then you have to turn in appraisals for it to be insured to the level it is worth and it is good to get new appraisals every 2 or 3 years to make sure you are not under insured.  For cruises unless it is something like Canada/New England where I will only be walking around on excursions, I usually put my rings in our safety deposit box prior to the cruise.  

I do know a lot of women who have a "travel ring" which is an inexpensive ring they wear when traveling instead of their original wedding set.

Edited by SuiteTraveler