Cruise Critic Community
mamaofami

WHICH PHONE TO BUY

i'M PRESENTLY USING A SAMSUNG S 5 PHONE. I'M DUE FOR AN UPDATE. I'VE READ THE S8 CASE BREAKS EASILY. I DON'T NEED THE NOTE PHONES. I USE IT FOR THE INTERNET, PHONE, CAMERA, ETC.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

Everyone will have their preferences but I'm partial to the Google Pixel line.  I have a first gen Pixel and it takes great photos and has been a pretty quick device.  If my phone broke, I would go for the Pixel 3 but I'm trying to hold out as long as I can with my paid off device.

Depends on a variety of factors ... your choice of carrier, budget, importance of features/options on the new device including battery life/standby time & screen size ... as it seemed you are happy with the Android platform.  

We prefer non-contract smartphone, non-subsidized and not carrier-locked ... currently using a Motorola Moto G6 (Nexus/Google Fi) with add-on integrated battery case (for a total of 7,000+ maH)  Mrs. M still on her Nexus 6P and we kept an older Motorola Nexus 6 (new OEM battery installed, better than new & running 9.x Pie) as our shared backup, in case one of the newer one failed.  The newer Nexus Pixel 3/XL series has extra bells & whistles but they will eventually be phrased out, things we really don't need ... ditto for the LG G7 or V35, although with service credit, our net cost will be less.  

Since we travel abroad and will be doing more in the years ahead, planning to upgrade my older global dual-sim smartphone with 5.5" screen to something newer as we can access other country's radio bands, not always supported on US-based devices  ... although, I usually have our pocket-sized iPhone SE with us, configured as a MiFi hotspot - with its integrated battery case for extra standby time & to keep it charged for extended all day/20 hours+ of usage on the go.  Apple had a batch of new ones for sale recently at $249 with 32GB storage, and that price is a steal.  

Lots of choices around - and the folding ones are coming soon ... not sure if I want to spend $1,500 for a modernized Motorola Razar V3, a classic for its days. 

I have an S8+ and have had no issues with it. (Other than I had to buy a separate waist holder for it when I run. I use it for music and it is too large to fit into my hydration belt.)  If you have spent money on apps (and depending on how much you have spent on them) you might want to stay with an android phone as that way you won't have to rebuy any apps you spend money on and use often.  But other than that, there really isn't much difference between android and apple phones. (no matter what the fanboys of each side say).   You can generally pick up a previous model for muck less that the current "latest and greatest" model. 

I went from a Galaxy S5 to a Pixel 2 and I don't ever want to go back.  It is so nice to not have all the bloatware that the carriers add on.  The charge lasts a long time, the camera is awesome, and Google Android updates for security and new features come several more times a year than they did before since it doesn't have to go through the carrier's update first.