Los Angeles - Where to stay?

magic&buddy

DH and I will be going to LA in October, prior to a Carnival Cruise to Hawaii.  We are looking for a hotel to stay at in LA.  We would prefer to stay in a touristy area where we can go out and walk around when not on a tour.  Can anyone suggest a place to stay?

Days & Transportation:

We will have 1.5 days before the cruise and 1 full day post cruise.  We will be using Uber and the Hop On Hop Off bus.

Area to stay:

We were thinking of Hollywood and Vine just because there seems to be a lot around there but we don't really know what the area is like for walking around.  We are open to suggestions.

Santa Monica. Nice area.  Lots to see and do in the immediate vicinity.  Santa Monica Pier.  Palisades Park. Third Street Promenade.  HOHO bus uses it as a hub.  Short trip down to the Venice Boardwalk.  Best weather.  Easy to get around on foot.  Several very nice hotels.  A bit pricey, but worth it...Stay at Loews, Marriott LeMarigot, Shutters at the Beach, Fairmont Miramar, Huntley House, Wyndham, any of the nicer places along Ocean Avenue or the new Courtyard or Hampton up at the Metro Station.  MUCH nicer than Central Hollywood.  Cleaner, safer.

Hollywood and Vine at night?  Not me.  It's fine during the day by don't know I would do it at night.  I assume you are leaving out of Long Beach on Carnival?  That makes staying in downtown LA or north not my choice.  Have you been to Disneyland?  I'm not suggestion a visit into the Magic Kingdom.  But rather stay nearby and explore Downtown Disney.  Lots of good places to eat, people watch, drink, and explore.  If you are there you must do The Void, it's beyond awesome.  We stay up the street usually at the Hilton or the Embassy Suites and walk to Disney.