WiFi and Onboard Credit

JuliaSugarbaker

Question #1:

1. Can I use an onboard credit to purchase an internet package?

Since the onboard credit aka OBC can only be spent on board the ship check with the Internet Café manager

for the program that works best for you:

LINK to the programs:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Have the manager set up the LOGON and LOGOFF apts to best use of your paid time.

Question #2:

2. Do apps like WhatsApp work on a ship’s WiFi?

Can't answer that but while arranging for the internet package the café manager should be able to explain

what services (apts) work and perhaps set them up for you.

If you have a promo or perk package with free internet time discuss that with the internet café manager for

how to convert that for a reduction or discount in the charges for the internet time.  

20 hours ago, JuliaSugarbaker said:

Hello! I’ve got a couple of WiFi questions for our upcoming trip on Norwegian Jade.

1. Can I use an onboard credit to purchase an internet package?

2. Do apps like WhatsApp work on a ship’s WiFi? 

TIA!!

Once you get on the ship OBC can be used for any purchase you make except the DSC, so you can book any Internet package you want and it will be paid out of your OBC. There is no need to speak to anyone about it, it happens automatically.

There are three different wi-fi packages. WhatsApp. It will probably not work with the social media package or any by the minute packages. It should work fine with either of the other two unlimited packages. I know that FaceTime and VoIP calls work with the middle level unlimited package.  (This is based on experience on Getaway)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, xcell said:

Yes and Yes

Used WhatsApp on the Spirit last month. Had the 250 minute internet perk. We were able to use WhatsApp any time we found WiFi in a port as well. If you have an iPhone, in settings set phone to airplane mode. Turn off cellular data, turn on Wifi. When using internet minutes on board, remember to type logout.com into the line you normally type url addresses (www). Otherwise your minutes run out.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jenneloveslife said:

On the ncl website, UNLIMITED social media wifi is listed as costing $117 (CAD).  Am I reading it right that the fee is PER DAY?

You are reading it wrong...... it's $117 CAD for 7 days 

Per NCL website it is $12.50 USD per day booked pre-cruise: https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Edited by esm54687

21 minutes ago, TOMTOMRN331 said:

We have the 250 minute promo on our sailing Escape 2/24. 

Do they still offer the upgrade option to unlimited for xx $$ ? 

Yes they do.  To upgrade to the unlimited for a 7-day cruise is $85.00.  This must be done at the internet cafe though, not in your cabin.

I am from Canada and have roaming on my phone supposedly in the Bahamas for $12 per day.  My cruise in a few weeks docks at Nassau and Port Canaveral so will I have roaming on ship those days?  I assume not at Great Stirrup Quay since it is a private island.

17 minutes ago, jenneloveslife said:

I am from Canada and have roaming on my phone supposedly in the Bahamas for $12 per day.  My cruise in a few weeks docks at Nassau and Port Canaveral so will I have roaming on ship those days?  I assume not at Great Stirrup Quay since it is a private island.

For iPhone and unlimited data plan, we just turned on airplane mode, turned cellular data off and WiFi on. We only used phone in port when we had WiFi. Would go to an eatery and asked if they had WiFi. That and the 250 minutes from NCL perk worked for us without spending a dime.

Hubby was able to post lots of his pics on fb and I checked e-mail while enjoying local food.

We even talked to family in Europe and US via WhatsApp. (Only use with WiFi). Happy travels!

2 hours ago, jenneloveslife said:

Confirmed that with your home carrier - Bell, Rogers, etc. ??  as they can verify and ask their int'l support/help desk to check that your roaming isn't turned off, learn to check & change your device's settings, as it varied - iPhone are different than Samsungs and/or Motorola, etc. 

Nassau has very good 4G-LTE coverage (roaming partners of AT&T and T-Mobile from the US, i.e. ours being on DigiCel) - and, if you do tender & get ashore to GSC, there is an active cellular tower - coverage/services extended as part of the Berry Islands, same as being in Nassau ... although, you might see a "Welcome Msg. for being in the Caribbeans instead.) 

PC is part of Florida in the US and you would "roam" with US partners - signal strength is generally best/strongest facing the pier/cruise terminal vs. being on the channel side, facing the water.  

Otherwise, once out to sea - you will not have roaming signal coverage on the ship, as that's over satellite orbiting high & generally none of the US and/or Canada providers include or offer any data/voice coverage, more or less PAYG until you are in the ports.