Shanghai Excursions

Morgans

We shall be visiting Shanghai with QE early next year and although it's a long while away we are wondering what excursions might be on offer. The cruise lines are generally similar with what they offer so any insight or recommendations would be welcome. Are we correct in thinking that if we do the ship's excursions we won't need a visa?  Many thanks.

16 hours ago, Morgans said:

We shall be visiting Shanghai with QE early next year and although it's a long while away we are wondering what excursions might be on offer. The cruise lines are generally similar with what they offer so any insight or recommendations would be welcome. Are we correct in thinking that if we do the ship's excursions we won't need a visa?  Many thanks.

I do not believe that any cruise line handles the visas for China.

If you're only visiting Shanghai and no where else in China and you're coming and going to two different countries; then you can probably qualify for the 144 hr transit without visa (TWOV).

Thank you Betty - I will have to check this out. As I understand, if arriving and departing on a cruise ship in Shanghai and doing the ship's excursions, then nothing is needed (from UK) but I will have to do some checking. 

I was hoping someone could give some insight to excursions which will be offered.

Many  thanks for your reply.

7 hours ago, Morgans said:

Thank you Betty - I will have to check this out. As I understand, if arriving and departing on a cruise ship in Shanghai and doing the ship's excursions, then nothing is needed (from UK) but I will have to do some checking. 

I was hoping someone could give some insight to excursions which will be offered.

So Shanghai is your only China port on the entire cruise?  What cruiseline are you sailing on?

I find that a bit strange as someone had posted that they were debarking in Shanghai and because of weather and a delay of a day or two; they missed their flight and were not allowed to leave the ship.  They had to stay on until it went to the next port which was Japan.

10 hours ago, Morgans said:

It‘s a fairly new rule... and only applies to group tours with certified tour operators. I think  Cunard probably does that.

• Like 1