hubbard glacier

salabc

OK, lets get clear with how things operate in Hubbard. Only one ship is allowed at a time, and one ship is rapidly entering as another is departing. So there isn't really time for the vendor to drop off pax from one ship, and pick up from another. In our case, we (on HAL's Amsterdam)were in the area from 1pm to 4 pm. A Princess ship passed us going in before we had recovered the pax from the excursion, so the one excursion vessel couldn't do both ships at one time. As we finished bringing our pax aboard, the Princess ship was just about at the glacier.

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

OK, lets get clear with how things operate in Hubbard. Only one ship is allowed at a time, and one ship is rapidly entering as another is departing. So there isn't really time for the vendor to drop off pax from one ship, and pick up from another. In our case, we (on HAL's Amsterdam)were in the area from 1pm to 4 pm. A Princess ship passed us going in before we had recovered the pax from the excursion, so the one excursion vessel couldn't do both ships at one time. As we finished bringing our pax aboard, the Princess ship was just about at the glacier.

I completely understand this. This is why I suggested the tour operator buy/re-allocate another boat. Especially with what they are charging for this tour.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I completely understand this. This is why I suggested the tour operator buy/re-allocate another boat. Especially with what they are charging for this tour.

I'm with you Coral! 

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

45 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I'm with you Coral! 

If someone really wants this tour and wants to book a cruise around it (hoping weather conditions allow for it) - it is impossible for them to guess which ship will get the tour boat.

It is interesting as the reviews are all over the place on this tour. My friend had a bad experience and others have posted very good experiences with the tour. I am sure conditions may factor into this. Similar to reviews with Hubbard - some ships get real close and have a great view and other times, ships are 9 miles away.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way  to know what ships are scheduled for Hubbard Glacier each day? is there schedule listed somewhere? Trying to see whether or not we have a 50/50 chance or 100% chance of taking the tour. We already booked for August 2020. at a lower price then what they are charging now on RCCL.

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Is there a way  to know what ships are scheduled for Hubbard Glacier each day? is there schedule listed somewhere? Trying to see whether or not we have a 50/50 chance or 100% chance of taking the tour. We already booked for August 2020. at a lower price then what they are charging now on RCCL.

Not sure when they’ll publish the schedule for 2020 but here’s where to check-

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Hubbard-Glacier-HUB-2019.pdf

On the Celebrity Eclipse at the moment. Hubbard Glacier yesterday. Ship got within half a mile of glacier but seemed even closer. Amazing. Saw the small boat the whole time. Seemed to get closer than we did - maybe 1/3 of a mile? But can’t imagine it was $279 pp better than our view. We saw amazing calving from the ship. I had been signed up for the smaller boat but then backed out when read some of these reviews. I am glad I did but of course those that went on it may have other thoughts. Did not see any wildlife. 

1 hour ago, tnelias said:

On the Celebrity Eclipse at the moment. Hubbard Glacier yesterday. Ship got within half a mile of glacier but seemed even closer. Amazing. Saw the small boat the whole time. Seemed to get closer than we did - maybe 1/3 of a mile? But can’t imagine it was $279 pp better than our view. We saw amazing calving from the ship. I had been signed up for the smaller boat but then backed out when read some of these reviews. I am glad I did but of course those that went on it may have other thoughts. Did not see any wildlife. 

nice.  Will be on the Eclipse in 2 weeks...hope our weather is good enough to get that close.    

Hope your having a great day in foggy Juneau today.  

1 hour ago, tnelias said:

We were on the Hubbard Glacier small boat excursion a few weeks ago. We were told the Coast Guard allows boats/ships to get up to a half mile from the face of the glacier. so the small boat and ship generally get to the same distance from the glacier's face. The advantage of the small boat is you are closer to the water, so it's a different glacier view from a large ship; there are fewer people with more space for viewing/pictures; and you encircle Haenke Island where the wiwiwakes (white birds) live. We literally saw thousands of birds. Although the small boat excursion is expensive, we thought it was worth every penny. We've been to numerous calving glaciers over the years, and find the experience in a small boat superior to a ship. That said, I think it's a personal decision as to whether paying for the small boat is "worth it". The experience on a ship is different, although it is still spectacular!

• Thanks 1

just got back, our ship (Royal Princess) only got to 7-8 miles from the glacier, our small boat was 1/4 mile, but seemed closer

Excursion was well worth the money in my opinion.

Boat held app 100 people but they only take out app 50 so there is plenty of room

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We leave on Sunday for our Alaska adventure, and have this excursion booked.  I realize that this season is coming to a close, but I will come back and report here how it goes.  Hope fully it will be information that will be helpful for next year.  

It seems to be very hit-and-miss, depending on ice and weather conditions. This was as close as we got on the Mariner in mid-June. Very disappointing. Luckily, I'd seen some spectacular glaciers from the air in Juneau, but I was looking forward to seeing some calving. Next time......

1089.thumb.JPG.1040f5463c4d0aa125c0d429800f4729.JPG

Edited by Paul Bradley

We were on Celebrity Eclipse last week, and we had amazing weather at Hubbard Glacier. They said we got the closest Eclipse has ever gotten, but I didn’t catch the exact distance. It was absolutely stunning, though. There was lots of calving too.  They did turn the ship 360 degrees while we were there. 

C154A7B8-CEC0-402D-9DDC-F18155E49F7C.thumb.jpeg.82f81a7cb4d25821e4ac0b8c7c9a5ad4.jpeg

871B7AC4-7666-4C93-B205-11C5621C0159.thumb.jpeg.1b935b156447b9157bd0630a6d1fa9b9.jpeg

62A556DB-934E-49AD-80F0-20C2A35134BC.thumb.jpeg.9baf49efa9ce2dde57eba2e511776b6b.jpeg

• Like 1

(Interestingly, I posted yesterday about a Norway fjords cruise, which I already booked for July.  Now I'm looking at possibly an Alaska cruise in May.)

A quick google search told me that Hubbard Glacier is one of the best ones to see from a cruise ship.  I'm wondering if there are any differences between the cruise lines with respect to how they view it.  That is, which cruise would have the best Hubbard experience.  Or are they all pretty much the same?  Any ideas?

On 8/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, jlatels said:

A quick google search told me that Hubbard Glacier is one of the best ones to see from a cruise ship.  I'm wondering if there are any differences between the cruise lines with respect to how they view it.  That is, which cruise would have the best Hubbard experience.  Or are they all pretty much the same?  Any ideas?

I've been to many glaciers on cruises, and they all are spectacular in their own way. Look at these boards and you will see some people have strong feelings about which one is "best". Many say Glacier Bay is a must/the best. Although I love the sailing up to the Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, and the spires on the glacier are beautiful, other glaciers are also spectacular, but in different ways. I love the huge icebergs in Tracy Arm. College Fjord has so many glaciers to see. And Hubbard Glacier is massive! I do think if you pick a cruise for Hubbard Glacier, be sure they offer the small boat experience like the pictures above. I've done small boats to Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, and now Hubbard Glacier, and prefer the small boat experience to the cruise ship - I like being closer to the water and looking up to the glacier. If you stay on the ship, the experience will be probably be the same no matter what cruise line you are on.

9 hours ago, jimsweetjim said:

(Interestingly, I posted yesterday about a Norway fjords cruise, which I already booked for July.  Now I'm looking at possibly an Alaska cruise in May.)

The rules for entry into the area for the cruise lines are the same. They all get the same amount of time. The main variable would be a Captain's comfort and ability to get his/her ship close.

I doubt there is much difference between the cruise lines. The pretty consistent reports are the ships will get as close as conditions allow, and turn in place a couple of times for viewing. The ship will be in the area for about 90 minutes or so.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, Paul Bradley said:

It seems to be very hit-and-miss, depending on ice and weather conditions. This was as close as we got on the Mariner in mid-June. Very disappointing. Luckily, I'd seen some spectacular glaciers from the air in Juneau, but I was looking forward to seeing some calving. Next time......

1089.thumb.JPG.1040f5463c4d0aa125c0d429800f4729.JPG

Yep - been there. Been even farther behind. Hit or miss is definitely describes Hubbard Glacier :(. It is amazing if you get a clear day and get close!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jimbo said:

I found this resource, not sure how accurate it is http://crew-center.com/hubbard-glacier-alaska-cruise-ships-schedule-2020

On 9/8/2019 at 7:33 PM, Emu2302 said:
  On 8/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, Jimbo said:

I found this resource, not sure how accurate it is http://crew-center.com/hubbard-glacier-alaska-cruise-ships-schedule-2020

Being as we are the 3rd ship in a 3pm  and the last to see the Glacier that day, wonder how that will effect our chances of this excursion going off without a hitch.......or will it be canceled before our excursion date of August 1st 2020.

Anyone earlier this year been on a ship that didn't arrive until 3pm and still have the excursion as a go.

Edited by Jimbo

I realize this action directed toward Allen Marine Tours may not involve operations in Yakutat Bay but still is not exactly good news for excursions in Southeast.. Hope the company gets their problems worked out with the U.S. Coast Guard before next season's excursion itineraries commence. https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/09/13/coast-guard-docks-most-boats-operated-by-southeast-alaska-tour-company/        

Edited by kennicott

5 hours ago, kennicott said:

I realize this action directed toward Allen Marine Tours may not involve operations in Yakutat Bay but still is not exactly good news for excursions in Southeast.. Hope the company gets their problems worked out with the U.S. Coast Guard before next season's excursion itineraries commence. https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/09/13/coast-guard-docks-most-boats-operated-by-southeast-alaska-tour-company/        

They should know better. They are not new kids on the block.