2019 - List of NCL Officers, Hotel Director, Concierge, Crew, etc

I think John used to start the new list in January, but I haven't seen him here for a while.

This will be the same as last year, just a new thread.

Let's try to keep remarks positive. 

I can start by saying that I wish we were on the SUN if Biran Walters is there right now.

Micky (also SUN) is also one of our favorite of all Restaurant Managers and of all people NCL!

We have never met an NCL person that we didn't like.  Of course some are more favorite than other.

They all have their strengths though.

Happy sailing to my fellow NCL fanatics.  

Judy

I have seen this "request" before. I am always amused that it is being asked.

Why do folks need to know this? Especially for the crew? What difference does who is Captain make? Especially on ships that have over 4000 passengers?

Are you assuming that the people onboard really know you? Of course they will act like they do but honestly, 4000 people every week, you are not special enough to be remembered LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Why do folks need to know this? Especially for the crew? What difference does who is Captain make? Especially on ships that have over 4000 passengers?

Are you assuming that the people onboard really know you? Of course they will act like they do but honestly, 4000 people every week, you are not special enough to be remembered LOL

Hi Pete,

Well, we plan to keep this thread positive.  

I don't think you really want an answer to your questions, so I won't try to explain.

I'll just say that some officers and crew really do remember some passengers.

I hope you love cruising as much as I do and I hope you have a great day.

Judy

9 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Updates 30 January 2019:

Getaway:   Errol Bailey just returned from vacation

Jewel:  Steven Jacobsen  on vacation until early March

Sun:  Miky (RM) just left for vacation-- back late March

Thanks for this information.

I'm sure many will be missing Steven and Micky on the Jewel - Sun if they are traveling soon.

They are great people.

Nice to know that  Errol is back.

9 hours ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

Hi Pete,

Well, we plan to keep this thread positive.  

I don't think you really want an answer to your questions, so I won't try to explain.

I'll just say that some officers and crew really do remember some passengers.

I hope you love cruising as much as I do and I hope you have a great day.

Judy

Judy, There was nothing negative nor was it intended to be negative, just being realistic. I do enjoy cruising and have been on many different lines. The onboard crew is one thing that really seems unimportant.

Is the crew on the aircraft that took you to your departure port important enough to know or enquirer about? If not, why not? The front desk staff at the hotel you are staying at recognizes you (by name) and is nice to you but, do they remember you personally? Probably not but they too are in an industry that demands they atr nice to you.

The entire crew is in the service industry, they all are nice to you and do whatever it takes to make you feel welcome, even assuming recognition. They work on 6 to 8 month contracts and often the next contract is to another ship.

My point is, if it is important to you to know who the crew are, well so be it. If you think they recognize you,  I think you are being a bit naive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Judy, There was nothing negative nor was it intended to be negative, just being realistic. I do enjoy cruising and have been on many different lines. The onboard crew is one thing that really seems unimportant.

Is the crew on the aircraft that took you to your departure port important enough to know or enquirer about? If not, why not? The front desk staff at the hotel you are staying at recognizes you (by name) and is nice to you but, do they remember you personally? Probably not but they too are in an industry that demands they atr nice to you.

The entire crew is in the service industry, they all are nice to you and do whatever it takes to make you feel welcome, even assuming recognition. They work on 6 to 8 month contracts and often the next contract is to another ship.

My point is, if it is important to you to know who the crew are, well so be it. If you think they recognize you,  I think you are being a bit naive.

There are waiters, Asst. Maitr'ds, Restaurant hosts, bartenders and even front desk folks that we have met and still know.  We have sailed on several very long cruises and you do get to know them.  Even on shorter cruises we have met and gotten to know crew.  Some are friends on FB, some send emails.  I have been on a ship and had crew members come up and call me by name.  We've cruised mostly the smaller ships, but on our last cruise - on the Breakaway - we reconnected with several crew members that we met on previous cruises.  

I respect your opinion - and I do not think it is negative, but I know there are other folks who are remembered by crew.  Let's just agree to disagree and drop the topic.  We're all different (thank goodness)!  

• Like 3

So true about some of the crew actually knowing who you are. I have cruised the Haven on the Escape and Bliss and stay in touch with several of the crew members. They requested that I do and provided personal emails and Snapchat info. I consider myself a very outgoing person so maybe folks are drawn to that. 😊 I'd like to think that it's the respect and appreciation I show the crew for all they do to make my cruise a wonderful experience. I believe that no matter how many folks may be on a cruise, there are always ways you can stand out among others by how well you treat the crew members and many do remember you for that!

• Like 1

Also being cruisers who now do long cruises and tend to make friends on every ship we go on, we have many people emailing us, calling us Mommy and Daddy. When we see them again, we are greeted with very warm hugs from both male and female crew and officers.  The Breakaway and the Star each had someone at guest services who, when they saw us, immediately upon finishing with their current customer on a busy embarkation day, came around the corner to give great big hugs to both of us and calling us by name. On the Breakaway, a male server saw us from a distance walking through the Garden Cafe and was not afraid to yell Mommy from across the room as he came to us. Very recently we received an email from another "son" (server) on the Breakaway who is coming back from vacation shortly before we are going there this summer and asked us what he could bring us back from India. I could give many more examples but I have already made this post very long.

I also agree that this subject should not be continued, even though I felt compelled to answer the first post. Forgive me.

Edited by MikeandMarcia
  • Like 1

New to NCL, but a veteran of more than 20 cruises.  Regarding Pete's contention that crew members don't remember, I have two stories. 

My wife and I cruised on HAL in the Mediterranean several years ago.  It was a wonderful trip and we made friends with our female cabin attendant.  About 5 years later, we cruised the Caribbean on RCL.  As we were walking down the hallway to our stateroom, I heard someone yelling my wife's name--it was our HAL cabin attendant.  She had moved to RCL and was working on the same deck as our stateroom.  They ran down the hallway and hugged like they were long-lost cousins.

And on Celebrity two years ago, my wife became very attached to our assistant waiter.  The two exchanged emails and still keep in contact with each other.  We are planning a Celebrity cruise later in the summer so that we can sail with her again (this time as a head waiter).

Pete, just because you and I aren't particularly memorable to crew members doesn't mean that everyone is. 

Regarding the OP, I like to know the names of the captain, cruise director, restaurant manager, etc.  It adds to the anticipation of the cruise, which can sometimes be almost as fun as the cruise itself. 

Can anyone give me any information about the current cruise director on the Breakaway? 

• Like 2

I believe if you cruise a particular line enough, you get to know some of the crew (and they get to know you) as you've seen them more than once or twice.

I know there's at least 2 stewards that we know on a first name basis, who will email me telling me what ship they are on and when.  That allows us to see each other if we're on the same ship at the same time.  I have 3 concierges who know me and my preferences when they find out I'm cruising their ship.  I have one bartender on RCCL that I visit if we're on the same ship.  We email each other fairly often, too.

However, I don't know any Captains personally.

I do like to keep up to date on where my favorite crew are working as that will only enhance my cruise.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

I think John used to start the new list in January, but I haven't seen him here for a while.

This will be the same as last year, just a new thread.

Let's try to keep remarks positive. 

I can start by saying that I wish we were on the SUN if Biran Walters is there right now.

Micky (also SUN) is also one of our favorite of all Restaurant Managers and of all people NCL!

We have never met an NCL person that we didn't like.  Of course some are more favorite than other.

They all have their strengths though.

Happy sailing to my fellow NCL fanatics.  

Judy

Agree!!!!

I am a certified charter member of the "Brian Walters" fan club!  

On 1/30/2019 at 11:35 AM, pete_coach said:

Maybe if you will re-read your post you will realize  that it did come off judgey.  Such as saying you are "amused".   Maybe you need to realize that just because you feel one way, and you are perfectly fine with your own perspective that others can and do feel differently.  

First, I am a true "people person" and I travelled and cruised with my wonderful mom for many years, until we lost her in 2017.  All of our lives people have remembered us.  We were both on Wheel of Fortune in the '80's and it was amazing how many people on the street recognized my mom and conversed with her.  One time my mom had an estate sale and put prices from "free to $1 on a large wheel instead of using price stickers.  For a few years after people recognized her all over town.  

My point?  Some people are charasmatic and memorable.  Maybe you just aren't one of them.  

I have met some wonderful Officers and crew on ships.  Had dinner with a few.   Some sceptics can't believe they enjoy dinners with passengers but that is not always the case.   One of our Concierges used to come to our suite and hang out.  My mom said "we don't want to keep you"... to which she replied, "I love talking to you and hearing your stories"...  did this surprise me? No, because I heard it my whole life from many, about my mother!

I Will conclude by saying that I cruised with a particular cruise director 3 times, a total of 25 nights.   on the first two cruises I had met his wife who was a part of his staff.   She had retired to stay home with the kids. On our last cruise with him he made a point of asking us if we could come back later in the year when his wife and kids cruised because he thought they would enjoy hanging out with us, as he would be working.  I was touched.  I do not think he was ungenuine. But maybe that's because of the way I look at life and I look at people. No, not everyone cares about who's working on the ship but some of us care about the people we interact with on the ship, be it Officers, crew or other passengers.  

Edited by DMH15
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Apples to oranges.  Maybe if I was on a 25 night flight the comarison would fit. 

And I do have friends who are or have been flight attendants who have frequest flying customers that they remember fondly and enjoy.  

Edited by DMH15

22 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Maybe if you will re-read your post you will realize  that it did come off judgey.  Such as saying you are "amused".   Maybe you need to realize that just because you feel one way, and you are perfectly fine with your own perspective that others can and do feel differently.  

First, I am a true "people person" and I travelled and cruised with my wonderful mom for many years, until we lost her in 2017.  All of our lives people have remembered us.  We were both on Wheel of Fortune in the '80's and it was amazing how many people on the street recognized my mom and conversed with her.  One time my mom had an estate sale and put prices from "free to $1 on a large wheel instead of using price stickers.  For a few years after people recognized her all over town.  

My point?  Some people are charasmatic and memorable.  Maybe you just aren't one of them.  

I have met some wonderful Officers and crew on ships.  Had dinner with a few.   Some sceptics can't believe they enjoy dinners with passengers but that is not always the case.   One of our Concierges used to come to our suite and hang out.  My mom said "we don't want to keep you"... to which she replied, "I love talking to you and hearing your stories"...  did this surprise me? No, because I heard it my whole life from many, about my mother!

I Will conclude by saying that I cruised with a particular cruise director 3 times, a total of 25 nights.   on the first two cruises I had met his wife who was a part of his staff.   She had retired to stay home with the kids. On our last cruise with him he made a point of asking us if we could come back later in the year when his wife and kids cruised because he thought they would enjoy hanging out with us, as he would be working.  I was touched.  I do not think he was ungenuine. But maybe that's because of the way I look at life and I look at people. No, not everyone cares about who's working on the ship but some of us care about the people we interact with on the ship, be it Officers, crew or other passengers.  

Sorry I hurt your feelings or sense of yourself.

5 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Sorry I hurt your feelings or sense of yourself.

Please do not flatter yourself.   You did not hurt my feelings.   I was just trying to show you why I have a different viewpoint than yours, as several others have done as well.     

1 hour ago, DMH15 said:

Agree!!!!

I am a certified charter member of the "Brian Walters" fan club!  

I think I am also a charter member!  The Brian Walters Fan Club must be huge. 

Brian is a true gentleman with an amazing work ethic. He is one of the best role models I’ve ever met.  His crew are lucky and most of them know it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Please do not flatter yourself.   You did not hurt my feelings.   I was just trying to show you why I have a different viewpoint than yours, as several others have done as well.     

Gosh, I apologize and you read it as an insult. So be it.

I presented my viewpoint and left it at that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Gosh, I apologize and you read it as an insult. So be it.

I presented my viewpoint and left it at that.

Ok, hope we can move on... agreeing there are varying viewpoints on the subject. ..

and continue this thread for the purpose it was intended.  

Happy cruising.