How to narrow down to one day

Vineyard View

This week I found out that one of our ports was changed to Dominica. We will be visiting mid October.

I have been researching what to do for our day and have found so many beautiful nature choices. We are a party of four and none of us have ever been to Dominica. We are fairly active - I am the only ‘hiker’ in the group, but all of us will be able to do trails that are not too extreme. I would appreciate some suggestions on how to narrow down the choices as right now I have written down 12 places that look amazing!  Those who have been, what would you prioritize in one day, or those who are going, how are you deciding? We will not want to take a ship excursion and generally look to private tours in these types of ports. I have several tour companies written down from my research here and TripAdvisor. Thank you 

We have used Bumping tours and Nature Isles.  Both were very good.  They usually do a combo tour that includes Champagne Bay and then the interior with the waterfalls, hot springs, gorge, etc., or a tour that just goes into the interior.  We have not done the river tubing.

We have done Champagne Bay twice, including last November.  It was sad to see how the coral and wildlife have been depleted since the first time, plus all of the infrastructure that was there was destroyed in the last hurricane, so I might not do Champagne Bay again for a while.  The bubbles are neat, however.  You will need water shoes!!!

We loved the gorge, waterfalls, hot springs, etc.  None of the hiking we did was extreme at all.  We are early 70's.  I even jumped off the cliff at the gorge, but it is tough getting right up to the waterfall--almost everyone made it but someone coming down lost their footing, slammed into me and drove me into the rocks;  had some cuts and scrapes, enough to scar, but not too serious.

Thank you for this information. Sorry to hear about Champagne Reef but good to know ahead of time. This looks to be a beautiful island but struggling as many are after the 2017 hurricanes. Did you have any favorite waterfalls?  There looks to be several that are beautiful. I would like to swim as well at least at one. 

I sent an email to Bumping just a bit ago. I had not heard of Nature Isles but will take a look. Thanks so much!  Any other tips about this island would be much appreciated. 

10 hours ago, JoJo821 said:

Is it safe to go on excursions in Dominica. I have heard of attacks and muggings

Where did you hear that?  Maybe Dominican Republic but not Dominica which is very safe.

For others, we went snorkeling at Champagne Reef with Levi Baron of Bumpiing Tours last week and it has recovered nicely.

We are communicating with a couple tour groups and I am certain that they would all be good. Bumping tours offers an open air vehicle - wondering how that would be. We love the concept but not sure about heat/humidity and maybe wanting some air?  Any thoughts?

Also, Mero Black Sands beach....vs Champagne. Not sure of the geography and if it makes sense to ask to switch to Champagne?  

Thank you 

We've been on Bumpiing tours twice...most recently a few weeks ago.  If Levi has an an open air vehicle then it must be something new as he took us in a regular van both times.

Champagne Reef was terrific but you need to walk across rocks to reach the point where you enter the water so wear sneakers.

Thank you CruiserTarheel. It may be new but we will probably go with air conditioning for a break in the heat and humidity if we need it!  It is good to know about the rocks at Champagne. Was it worth it? Were there stops you would have preferred skipping if you had known the experience prior?

If if you have been twice with bumpiing  you must have enjoyed and trusted them after the first time, so that is a great endorsement. 

Are you good swimmers?

Champagne Reef was a nice snorkel...Levi gets you there before the hordes from the cruise ship excursion arrive...and he points out things you would normally miss.

Titou Gorge is unique...a challenging swim but well worth it...but only if you're actually going in the water.

Trafalgar Falls is a nice hike and the falls are beautiful.

(It's hard to beat Levi's price, too)

We have one weak swimmer. Levi said he would go with that person in the water at Titou Gorge as he felt the place was unique enough to be a must see. So we are seriously considering that. We will be the only ship in port that I can see. I asked if he could steer clear of those bus excursions and he felt that was a good possibility. 

We will have plenty of snorkel possibilities on this trip, but if Champagne is worth the stop we have the choice of that as well. Thank you for your continued information and feedback. 

I have swam in Titou Gorge twice.  The first time the water was rushing down the gorge very rapidly and none of us tried to get to the actual waterfall; just viewed it from a ways off.  Swimming in the first part is not that hard.

In November most of the group did make it to close to the waterfall.  To me, the swimming part wasn't that hard (I am a good swimmer though), the hard and even dangerous part was climbing through the cleft to get to the waterfall; treacherous rocks and at that point the water is very, very fast and footing is difficult.

It is truly one of the most beautiful and unique spots I have ever seen; I wouldn't want to miss it.  You can still enjoy most of the gorge without going right up to the waterfall, and the guides will help you.  And I did get hurt this time, being knocked down by someone behind me.

Do the leap too if you are brave!  Loved it.  

Depending on just how afraid of the water you are, I think it would be an enjoyable experience.  As I said, the swimming until close to the waterfall is not bad and you can stick close to the sides of the gorge as well.

A life belt won't help with the more difficult climb to enter into the waterfall area; you don't really swim there but edge along the sides.  You can just skip this part and still see the waterfall.  I'm sure Levi would be a great help.

• 1 month later...

@Nebr.cruiser Thanks for all of the helpful advice.  We've never been to Dominica and will be arriving there in November so I'm trying to decide on a tour that hits the highlight.  There's a Pepper's Choice tour with the following, but it sounds like we'd miss Titou Gorge.  Any idea if we should switch to something from Levi instead?  My husband is a strong swimmer and in great shape so hiking, swimming, climbing, etc would be all good for him.  I'm much less confident, which was why Pepper's Choice seemed perfect.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Here's the offering from Pepper:
Emerald Pool,
Mr.Nice Fruit Stand,
Mero Black Sand Beach,
Botanical Gardens,
Morne Bruce overview of Roseau,
Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs
Trafalgar Falls.

The sights listed are all very nice and included in many island tours.  The botanical gardens and Morne Bruce overview are pretty, um, bland, but only take a few minutes.  The fruit stand is a nice break; don't think I've been to Mero Beach.

I'm not familiar with Pepper as a tour operator but I am sure he is fine.  We really enjoyed our Levi tour several years ago.  

For me, personally, I wouldn't like to miss Titou Gorge; not sure there is another spot like that on the planet, especially one people can access relatively easily--also featured in a brief scene in the 2nd? Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I am sure you will enjoy either tour; none are physically that demanding.  I've done the leap at the gorge twice--and I was 73 this year!

14 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The sights listed are all very nice and included in many island tours.  The botanical gardens and Morne Bruce overview are pretty, um, bland, but only take a few minutes.  The fruit stand is a nice break; don't think I've been to Mero Beach.

I'm not familiar with Pepper as a tour operator but I am sure he is fine.  We really enjoyed our Levi tour several years ago.  

For me, personally, I wouldn't like to miss Titou Gorge; not sure there is another spot like that on the planet, especially one people can access relatively easily--also featured in a brief scene in the 2nd? Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I am sure you will enjoy either tour; none are physically that demanding.  I've done the leap at the gorge twice--and I was 73 this year!

Thanks for the advice!  

Also, I think it's great that you're still able to be so active!

On 1/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, JoJo821 said:

Is it safe to go on excursions in Dominica. I have heard of attacks and muggings

No problem attacks and muggings BUT the roads in Dominica are in poor condition.  

On 1/31/2019 at 8:49 AM, CruiserTarheel said:

Where did you hear that?  Maybe Dominican Republic but not Dominica which is very safe.

You are right!  

Many confuse Dominica with the Dominican Republic.  

They are totally different.  

In my research it sounded like the botanical gardens were really wiped out with the hurricane. Not sure how the recovery is at this point. Morne  Bruce  I believe is basically an overlook?

I also looked at Pepper. He gets great reviews. We emailed a few times. My impression, and I could be wrong, is that his tours are a bit less active than Levi.

Ultimately we didn’t want to miss the Gorge and really wanted to experience it. 

I also was advised that we should plan on bringing some food with us from the ship.  It does t sound like there is much opportunity for that while on tour for the day. 

We will be there in October and would be happy to give feedback afterwards. 

Edited by Vineyard View

We were to the Botanical Gardens; there probably was some hurricane damage but it wasn't too noticeable.  They are just really not very spectacular as gardens go.  Morne overlook is just that; short stop, see the ship and city below, a few souvineer stands.

We did not stop for lunch on either tour we went on either.  You could buy a pop or snack at several places, but it's a good idea to at least bring a snack along, especially if diabetic or something.

Thank you for that additional information Nebr.....Particularly confirming the food piece as we have a diabetic in our group of four. And I am glad that the hurricane did not take out the gardens. 

I have read such mixed reviews on this island. The positive ‘loved it’ reviews seem to come from those who took independent tours. Maybe that is my prejudice for DIY travel speaking!

I did ask Levi if he is able to keep us ahead or behind the tour busses on some of these spots, and he said he’s pretty good at that!  Works for me. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

@Nebr.cruiser Thanks for all of the helpful advice.  We've never been to Dominica and will be arriving there in November so I'm trying to decide on a tour that hits the highlight.  There's a Pepper's Choice tour with the following, but it sounds like we'd miss Titou Gorge.  Any idea if we should switch to something from Levi instead?  My husband is a strong swimmer and in great shape so hiking, swimming, climbing, etc would be all good for him.  I'm much less confident, which was why Pepper's Choice seemed perfect.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Here's the offering from Pepper:
Emerald Pool,
Mr.Nice Fruit Stand,
Mero Black Sand Beach,
Botanical Gardens,
Morne Bruce overview of Roseau,
Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs
Trafalgar Falls.

Not sure if you have made a decision. I will tell you that Levi from Bumpling offered us two choices for touring. One sounds much like the one you posted from Pepper that included Emerald Pool. What was pointed out between the two was driving time, with Emerald Pool being quite a bit further away and resulting in more drive time. Whether that is important or not is neither right nor wrong, but for me knowing that difference was part of our decision n