What Credit Card to Use??

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 11:01 PM, lbeck said:

I've traveled to Europe and was surprised to see the non-us charges added to my credit card invoice.  I understand that there are differences on credit card usage fees depending on the venue of transaction...so...... what's the most economical card to use in Ecuador/PERU:???

I used Capital One in Europe with no fees or any other problems. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2019 at 11:34 AM, erby2283 said:

Can you explain that more in detail? I have never been to Europe and have a 12 day cruise in Aug. Trying to plan the best way to take out money while there since I don't want to carry a bunch of USD's and convert to Euros.

It seems that no one ever answered this.

When you use some ATMs in the world, a screen will come up with the amount you requested in local currency, with the conversion to US dollars.  And a BIG accept button.  This exchange rate is not a good rate, and typically there is also a fee included.

Down in the corner is a VERY SMALL decline button.  THIS is what you press.to have the request go through to your bank in local currency.

Most banks will do the conversion at close to the bank rate (the rate the banks use when exchanged millions of dollars).  

Another tip is, put the XE app on your phone.  It has updated (every 10 minutes if you have data) exchange rates and allows you to put in a number of currencies and then pick one, enter the amount, and see the equivalent in all the currencies you have selected.  MCUH better than doing mental calculations.