Yacht Club Drink Package Explanation from MSC (after the recent package changes)

kevinrobedm

4 hours ago, erdoran said:

First of all, if I am spending thousands of dollars I am entitled to know what I'm buying - or is that unreasonable and entitled?  I'm a loyal Haven cruiser, and I"m about to switch to MSC because I feel like NCL just did a bait & switch on me - I paid for a cruise with specific booze inclusions, but NCL has changed the inclusions before I sail AFTER final payment.  It doesn't affect me at this point because I"m not all that picky, but based on this behavior I have every expectation that it will happen again, and sooner or later I'll be in the position that it is going to cost me extra.

Realistically, if the goal line keeps moving, how do I know on board what is and is not included?  If I help myself from the minibar is there signage that tells me what the cost is, or if things are no charge?  If I want a drink, does someone tell me BEFORE they make the drink that it is extra?  I don't mind paying an upcharge if I know about it ahead of time, then it becomes a buying choice, but I don't like being scammed or treated like I'm stupid, which is how I take it when people sneak in extra charges.

So here's some guy-to-guy advice [assuming you are a guy]:  just as it does sometimes help to ask for directions, it ALWAYS helps to ask before you drink.  Your cabin steward will advise whether the minibar is included, and the bartender will advise whether the drink you ordered is covered by your card.  Yes, that's not the nirvana experience of a full-luxury cruise – but MSC [even YC] is not a full-luxury cruise line.

Last week we booked to stay in the YC on the Seaside sailing March 30th.  Prior to booking, I was told that YC came with the Premium Plus package by TWO different phone agents.  The funny thing is that both phone agents each brought up that they received emails recently stating this due to the confusion of so many people calling to ask about the YC drink package since the drink package changes.  

I filled out the online form to ask, but I was never contacted.  I wanted an answer in writing, so I messaged the MSC Facebook page.  This is the response I received:

Hi Brandi, sorry for any delay.Yacht Club guests are entitled to a combination of benefits. The range of drinks included in this benefit are similar to the composition of PREMIUM package, but within the Yacht Club area there are other benefits like complimentary minibar, complimentary room service and special selection of complimentary wines during meals. Inside the Yacht Club as well as in all other venues on board, guests are entitled to all drinks from the bar list including premium. The Connoisseurs’ selection of spirits is not included as a Yacht Club benifit.

I know that we'll have to wait until either we sail or someone that has booked after the changes and sails before us can confirm for sure on board.  I have also seen that the price to upgrade from the Premium package to the Premium Plus package is $17 per person per day.  I'm wondering if it's the same price for a YC passenger to upgrade to Premium Plus since some of the Premium Plus benefits are already included with YC.

19 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The price limits showing in that chart are now out-of-date as the price of drinks has increased as has the price limit for the various old packages.  I was able to have $14 a glass red wine and $14.75 a glass Nicholas Feuillatte champagne with the Deluxe package.

Do you know what the new pricelimit is?

19 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The price limits showing in that chart are now out-of-date as the price of drinks has increased as has the price limit for the various old packages.  I was able to have $14 a glass red wine and $14.75 a glass Nicholas Feuillatte champagne with the Deluxe package.

As you understand I read and read all the threads about the drink packages!

If I understand it right YC with the old deluxe package will get the NF but not if they have the new package. Is that correct?

If that's correct what do you think I need to bring to prove that I shall get the old package? Is it enough if I bring the booking confirmation?

I assume that almost everyone in the YC on my cruise will have the old package.

Hi SC ... I don't know the new price limits.   I vaguely remember seeing the old price limit was $13 for champagne (I can't find a copy)  but I was able to have NF which is now $14.75 a glass.  (So you will certainly be able to enjoy NF anywhere it's served.  The champagne bar may even offer an alternative within the price limit as it has always done up 'til the changes). The same for the wine I had at $14 a glass;  the limit had been lower before the changes.

In YC, the only drinks not included will have a price next to them;  in the rest of the bars, only the Connoisseurs Selection is not included plus the price limit will apply in the Champagne bar.

I really don't believe you'll need to bring proof that you booked with the old Deluxe package included;  the crew, at this stage, are very clued in.  The Premium is almost identical to the Deluxe when it comes to the drinks included (though they've moved Hendrick's gin to the Connoisseurs Selection!  😡);  in your case, you'll still enjoy the mini-bar and room service food items, being a YC guest, so you really have nothing to worry about.

I had concerns for our recent trip, despite Sidari's reassurances that I'd have no problems.  In my case, I was concerned about the price limits as I wasn't aware that they had been increased in line with the drinks price increases.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, joeski27 said:

Nice, well according to your comparison, crepes should be included as well, since we booked in July of 2018 and are in the YC.  Sweet.

There have been photos shared on here from YC guests on Seaside showing a sign at the Concierge (before changes to the packages!) that crepes were not included in Venchi for YC guests.  Also, YC had the deluxe package included for outside the enclave and the inclusions/exclusions began to be enforced prior to the package changes.  YC is only all-inclusive within the confines of the enclave and is subject to the limits of the concession provided for use outside the area.

The following shows, quite clearly, that Venchi crepes are NOT included in the Deluxe package:

Deluxe drinks package allowance in US.pdf

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

There have been photos shared on here from YC guests on Seaside showing a sign at the Concierge (before changes to the packages!) that crepes were not included in Venchi for YC guests.  Also, YC had the deluxe package included for outside the enclave and the inclusions/exclusions began to be enforced prior to the package changes.  YC is only all-inclusive within the confines of the enclave and is subject to the limits of the concession provided for use outside the area.

The following shows, quite clearly, that Venchi crepes are NOT included in the Deluxe package:

Deluxe drinks package allowance in US.pdf

Well goddamn it. 😖

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hi SC ... I don't know the new price limits.   I vaguely remember seeing the old price limit was $13 for champagne (I can't find a copy)  but I was able to have NF which is now $14.75 a glass.  (So you will certainly be able to enjoy NF anywhere it's served.  The champagne bar may even offer an alternative within the price limit as it has always done up 'til the changes). The same for the wine I had at $14 a glass;  the limit had been lower before the changes.

In YC, the only drinks not included will have a price next to them;  in the rest of the bars, only the Connoisseurs Selection is not included plus the price limit will apply in the Champagne bar.

I really don't believe you'll need to bring proof that you booked with the old Deluxe package included;  the crew, at this stage, are very clued in.  The Premium is almost identical to the Deluxe when it comes to the drinks included (though they've moved Hendrick's gin to the Connoisseurs Selection!  😡);  in your case, you'll still enjoy the mini-bar and room service food items, being a YC guest, so you really have nothing to worry about.

I had concerns for our recent trip, despite Sidari's reassurances that I'd have no problems.  In my case, I was concerned about the price limits as I wasn't aware that they had been increased in line with the drinks price increases.

Thank you Bea. I didn't knew that Divina had a Champagne bar.

I know that I will have a great cruise and just hope that it will soon  stop snowing in Sweden! Lots of cancelled flights from Arlanda today.

Ooops .... sorry, SC, no champagne bar on Divina - but there is a wine bar.  I think you'll only get NF there (it's the bar I'd recommended we meet up in if we'd both done the originally booked cruise) - that's all that was included for YC on Splendida last year.

Hope your flights aren't affected - I've fingers crossed for you!

Edited by Beamafar

Just to add to the confusion -- if I booked YC last July 2018 (grandfathered drink package and stuff) but then had some price adjustments along the way, do I still get the grandfathered drink package or what the new rate package is associated with?

And if so -- how would they even know when I booked?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 11:18 AM, alyssamma said:

Thanks...and that makes sense because the Venchi gelato was removed from the YC inclusive stuff. If it was the same, why remove it? 🙂

It was a  great perk before because you could get it anytime of day 1

22 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Gelato is included using the old Deluxe package aboard Seaview ...100%

We are on Seaview in June:) We booked August 2018. Should we have gelato included? Do you know what specific drink exclusions we will have?

I have tried following all of the drink posts and it gives me a headache. I thought about calling MSC, but I'm afraid that will give me a bigger headache:classic_wink:

Thanks!

Rachel

13 hours ago, wdwcoltsfan said:

We are on Seaview in June:) We booked August 2018. Should we have gelato included? Do you know what specific drink exclusions we will have?

I have tried following all of the drink posts and it gives me a headache. I thought about calling MSC, but I'm afraid that will give me a bigger headache:classic_wink:

Thanks!

Rachel

Hi.

If you booked in August 2018 then you could have gelato included depending on your booking or the drink package purchased, as if eligible it will be honoured, even if you have to 'drive' that yourself aboard.

Many are now declaring that this is happening despite some staff, even from one bar to another, being confused!

7 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Hi.

If you booked in August 2018 then you could have gelato included depending on your booking or the drink package purchased, as if eligible it will be honoured, even if you have to 'drive' that yourself aboard.

Many are now declaring that this is happening despite some staff, even from one bar to another, being confused!

Thank you! We are YC, so it's whatever the package was before the changes. I will have to see if I can find it.

Unfortunately it was never stated definitively that the Deluxe package was included for YC guests, though they did enjoy the benefit of being covered for everything in that package.  However, I'm not sure that you can insist on that being the case going forward as it's not the same situation as someone who purchased the Deluxe package.  Technically, when booking YC you can only benefit from what's included at the time you're onboard.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:28 PM, brandid82 said:

Last week we booked to stay in the YC on the Seaside sailing March 30th.  Prior to booking, I was told that YC came with the Premium Plus package by TWO different phone agents.  The funny thing is that both phone agents each brought up that they received emails recently stating this due to the confusion of so many people calling to ask about the YC drink package since the drink package changes.  

I filled out the online form to ask, but I was never contacted.  I wanted an answer in writing, so I messaged the MSC Facebook page.  This is the response I received:

Hi Brandi, sorry for any delay.Yacht Club guests are entitled to a combination of benefits. The range of drinks included in this benefit are similar to the composition of PREMIUM package, but within the Yacht Club area there are other benefits like complimentary minibar, complimentary room service and special selection of complimentary wines during meals. Inside the Yacht Club as well as in all other venues on board, guests are entitled to all drinks from the bar list including premium. The Connoisseurs’ selection of spirits is not included as a Yacht Club benifit.

I know that we'll have to wait until either we sail or someone that has booked after the changes and sails before us can confirm for sure on board.  I have also seen that the price to upgrade from the Premium package to the Premium Plus package is $17 per person per day.  I'm wondering if it's the same price for a YC passenger to upgrade to Premium Plus since some of the Premium Plus benefits are already included with YC.

You will be sailing before us in the YC when you do will you please verify   Thank you

I have printed the MSC drink package companion chart and all items shown as included in Deluxe are what was on the "old" YC included list.  Crepes may be the only thing missing and no longer included.  We booked in April so not too worried. I mostly care about champagne and wine. We are not too hard to please.  Sailing in March, Meraviglia , will report back.