CURRENT PLATINUM GIFT

Cruisegirl6

I just got off the Paradise on Monday.  I almost threw out the Platinum gift because I thought it was something from Photographers advertising something.  Just before throwing it in the trash, I decided to open it.  I then realized that the Platinum gift was indeed a picture of the Mardi Gras.  I typically don't complain about free gifts, but it was really weird.  I worked on the old Mardi Gras, and even I couldn't figure out what I was suppose to do with this picture.  So, I'm not complaining - just thought it was a really odd gift.

• Like 3

Just got off the Conquest and the gift was an 8x10 picture of the Mardi Gras.  According to the administrator on a social media page, the gift was supposed to be a Carnival branded photo album but not all of the ships have received them.  In lieu of the photo album, a picture of the Mardi Gras was given. 

Good lord, as we say in the south - a picture of the Mardi Gras?  And we got two!  (Sunshine. Jan 15-20). 

That  is actually insulting. And we thought the cheap luggage tag was insulting. 

Carnival, just drop the program is this is what it is devolving to.   Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Good lord, as we say in the south - a picture of the Mardi Gras?  And we got two!  (Sunshine. Jan 15-20). 

That  is actually insulting. And we thought the cheap luggage tag was insulting. 

Carnival, just drop the program is this is what it is devolving to.   Ridiculous. 

We were fortunate, had two rooms with people in each room qualifying for the "gift" but only received one picture.  I agree with you TrinaLC.  Hope y'all had a good cruise on the Sunshine though.

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

By the time people reach P/D one would think they already have luggage tags.  And probably pretty decent ones at that. SMH. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Florida Paesano said:

We were fortunate, had two rooms with people in each room qualifying for the "gift" but only received one picture.  I agree with you TrinaLC.  Hope y'all had a good cruise on the Sunshine though.

We did!  Love the Sunshine.  Thanks 😊 

6 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

I am believing that is their end game.  They want to do away with the gifts all together, at least for platinums.  It is pretty obvious that over the last year the budget for these gifts has been cut considerably.  They went from gifts that probably cost a few dollars each (like the tumblers and blankets) to gifts that cost a dollar or less each (like the lanyards, luggage tags and apparently now, pictures).  John has already said that changes are coming to the whole VIFP program this year.  He has also mentioned that the "beards" are not happy with all the complaining about the gifts.  I believe that is really their goal, to make the gifts as cheap as possible to get people complaining about them.  Then they can say that they are doing away with the gifts because so many are complaining about them.  It would be much easier for them to do that than it would when they actually gave better gifts.  My guess is they either do away with the gifts all together or move to a diamond only gift that is nicer.

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 3

I guess I am lucky that on my first Platinum cruise last April I got the Tervis. I just don't understand how they go from something like Tervis and blankets to a lanyard or a luggage tag. I have many decorative lanyards so have no use for the Carnival one. And I don't really use luggage tags although I guess I will if its free. 

I think they should just do away with the gift if it's going to be so crappy. Maybe take it away and change the drink coupon to one I could actually use (don't go to brunch). 

Our last cruise (last year), which was our first as Platinum, we each got a pretty nice beach bag with a separate insulated compartment in the bottom. We thought it was pretty nice and still use it. Even the couple we gave the extra one to thought it was a great gift. I guess we'll get the photo next month. No comparison!

On the Conquest now and received the picture of the Mardi Gras,,,twice since my wife is platinum too....and to add insult to injury, I'm assuming we'll receive two more next week on the 2nd cruise of our back-to-back. 

Four pictures of the Mardi Gras....how did I get so blessed?  (sarcasm)

Garnett

On 1/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, TrinaLC said:

Again just say no thank you, request in writing to not get another gift (might want to google the word) then you will not feel ridiculed any more.  

4 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

On the Conquest now and received the picture of the Mardi Gras,,,twice since my wife is platinum too....and to add insult to injury, I'm assuming we'll receive two more next week on the 2nd cruise of our back-to-back. 

Four pictures of the Mardi Gras....how did I get so blessed?  (sarcasm)

Garnett

Tell the RS no thank you

On 1/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, RWolver672 said:

I'm not an accountant but as long as what they give out has Carnival on it, wouldn't it be considered advertising and be tax deductible?  If so, in the long run, it's not costing them anything.

I am an accountant.  Anything they purchase & give to guests is deductible as a busy expense whether or not it has the logo. 

• Like 1

Regardless of tax aspect, the point of the GIFT was a logo item as thanks.  Note I did not say choose from a catalog (untenable) or discount item.  You might not like the “plan” but that it is what it is.  Plats have grown exponentially and make some of the GIFTS in the past unrealistic from a cost perspective.   

Look for changes in the program later this year.