KLM or Lufthansa Business Class?

tgmtgm

What would the consensus be? LAX to Stockholm. Return flight is from Amsterdam non stop on KLM. Crystal air department has some very reasonable fares, with the Lufthansa flight commanding an $80 premium over KLM.

Thanks for any insight you all might have. 

Tony

We're also on the West Coast.  Have flown both, and have a slight preference for Lufthansa.  Our last couple of long hauls have been on KLM from LA, and we found that the post take-off dinner service seemed to take forever to complete.  On nice thing about flying from the West Coast is the ability to enjoy the dinner service AND get a decent amount of sleep, if desired. 

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Assuming that the cruiseline provided ticket was in a mileage earning bucket.

I'd likely prefer KLM.  Gotta collect the Delft houses.

I have no idea if the fare is actually mileage eligible. It’s not a priority for me anymore since redeeming miles has become so convuluted and difficult on just about all FF programs. 

I’d never heard of the Delft houses. Thanks to Uncle Google, I now know their history. Thank you for that interesting nugget of insight. 😁

Tony

They're both comparable and falter in the same kinds of places.

Both have fully flat but paired seats in business class with little privacy between seatmates. Both have lousy lounges (LH's First Class Lounges are a huge step up) and onboard F&B is comparable 

I would rank a transfer at MUC as the easiest place to transfer, with AMS second and FRA a distant third. There's a reason why when you step up to LH First Class that you have a separate terminal at FRA and they drive you between gates and the lounges....

1 hour ago, fbgd said:

I would rank a transfer at MUC as the easiest place to transfer, with AMS second and FRA a distant third. There's a reason why when you step up to LH First Class that you have a separate terminal at FRA and they drive you between gates and the lounges....

I, too, would take Munich over Amsterdam as a connection point, and both far ahead of Frankfurt.

1 hour ago, fbgd said:

I would rank a transfer at MUC as the easiest place to transfer

7 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I, too, would take Munich over Amsterdam as a connection point, and both far ahead of Frankfurt.

Presumably on the basis of it being a T2-T2 transfer at Munich (as it's Lufthansa-Lufthansa)? I agree that this should be dead easy, but other connections at Munich may not be so good.

Hopefully, picking Lufthansa for LAX-Stockholm doesn't mean that Amsterdam-LAX must also be on Lufthansa (as that would require a connection where as KLM would be non-stop).

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to go with the Lufthansa option via Frankfurt. Selected a seat on the upper deck of the 747-800, which has been a something I’ve always wanted to try. The return flight is on KLM nonstop AMS-LAX.

Tony

1A74DA98-6294-4826-A0BE-11AA4FD33156.png

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got to sit on the upper deck on our Lufthansa flight to Washington Dulles.  They were offering upgrades to business from premium economy for a reasonable amount, so we jumped on it.  It was wonderful, although as someone mentioned, there's not much separation between you and your seatmate.  But for a couple, it's certainly fine.  

I assume you're not in need of wheelchair service on the flights.  If so,  however, when Lufthansa asks you in Frankfurt if you can walk a little, you might want to say no.  My husband said yes, and changing planes was challenging.  We were told there are 2 types of wheelchair service you can request.  If you say you can walk a little, you will find a wheelchair and pusher waiting for you on the jetway in Frankfurt, but they only take you a short distance and then you have to wait for a cart to go the rest of the way.  It was Christmas week and it turned out to be a long wait. Then, in our case, connecting to a flight to Rome, we had to lug our carryons down a flight of steps, and then up a flight of metal steps to the plane.  If we had requested a wheelchair the whole way, it would have been much easier, with (presumably) no wait.  On the way home, we got the royal treatment - no wait, no up and down stairs with carryons, etc.  They took us right to the plane.  The airport is nicely laid out, because you often only have to go upstairs or downstairs to connect (in the same terminal), but if you're mobility challenged, and you don't know to request a wheelchair from gate to gate, it can be difficult.