Packing Light- Really Light

OrinocoFlow

We are on a Caribbean Cruise, and I'd like to challenge myself to travel lighter.  The fact is most days we'll be snorkeling or lounging on deck in swim clothes. Last time I know at night I rarely wanted to get dressed up, and always opted for the most comfortable clothes and shoes at dinner (that met the dress code). 

This trip is 14 days, technically 2 7 day back to backs.  So there are 3 formal nights, and 5 sea days.  We are snorkeling/beaching on port days.  We are generally pretty casual people. I always bring workout shorts. And we don't mind doing laundry (our ship has it). 

What is the bare minimum packing list I could get away with? i was thinking maybe 

1 travel outfit including running shoes

2 swimsuits (shorts and top), cover up, shoes (2 pairs of "water/pool" sandals/shoes")

2 dresses for formal nights (one of which could go to a regular MDR meal) ( 2 pair of evening shoes)

1 casual dress for embarkation and MDR -extra pair of shoes that can go to mdr or casual days

2 pants for MDR, maybe 3 tops, and two light sweaters

a pair of comfy capris for lounging on deck or otherwise not swimming, eg for walks in the morning. 

(assume hats, undies, and various accessories, including carrying snorkel gear, wine, medications, journal/scrapbook materials, reading, and whatnot)

I always go back and forth between wanting to bring every cool summer outfit I own. but the fact is we really do seem to end up doing the same thing over and over:
breakfast/walk, snorkel or sea day activities, pool in afternoon, dinner in evening.  I think I'll get bored and then I just end up wearing the same stuff anyway.  How do you get "over" that desire to overpack? 

Advice, tips, links, all welcome since I'm sure this has been covered extensively. thanks in advance. 

I was doing really well at packing light a few years back, but it's crept up again, so my next trip (which happens to be business with a couple leisure days on each end) I'm going to try to be more strict with myself again!

For me, what works best is really planning out my outfits in advance (I use powerpoint and do daily outfit ideas - daytime/dinner - similar to some of the templates that Janice uses on theviviennefiles.com) And then ONLY PACK what's on my list. I think about my activities, look at the forecasts (I have it listed on each day of my ppt), pick a narrow color palette (for me it's usually black, white, red or cobalt in cold weather, or black with white/cobalt/turquoise in hot weather, with mostly black for work trips, with colorful scarves).

I have a standard packing list for the "rest" of the stuff- toiletries and extras are actually an area it's easy to start throwing in more "just in case" stuff (and some of my early-travel-days "just in case" items are still on my list because they've been really useful over the years!) 

Good luck!

I think your list is pretty reasonable and minimal for a 2 week trip.  The only obvious place I see where you might be able to cut down a little more is the shoes.  Right now it looks like you're taking 6 pair.....2 for pool/water, tennis shoes, and 3 pair of evening shoes.  I'm guessing from your post that your formal night dresses are not super formal, so you could possibly get away with just 2 pair of evening shoes, at least one of which would coordinate with both "formal" dresses but also work for more casual nights, and then maybe a 2nd pair that is strictly for the more casual evenings.  Overall though I think it's a pretty minimalist yet practical list for a 2 week trip. 

Oh, my ratio for pants/tops is usually more like 3/1, and two over layers (I usually bring cardigans) total....

For some reason, it's much easier for me to bring fewer shoes on cold trips than hot trips. But I agree that 5 pairs seems a bit much - I could do it in 4 (I think 😉 ) Are you bringing running shoes because you plan to exercise on the trip or because that's your comfort walker in port? If you're wearing running shoes in port, why are you also bringing TWO pairs of water shoes? Really think about your activities and what you need! If you'll use them, bring for sure (I often bring hiking shoes because I want/need them - people who are headed to the beach will likely NOT need a hiking shoe - I'm not saying don't bring it if you DO need it, just think about why it's on your list....)

Make sure you have something to wear while doing laundry (IF you plan to do "all at once" vs a few pieces at a time) I once did laundry in my goretex rain pants and jacket because I was washing everything else 😉  (yes, it was Alaska, but it was also at my brother's house so it was ok 😉

• Like 1

Sounds like a great packing list for 2 weeks. If you are really trying to pare down I would agree with the previous posters about the shoes.  I would try to make do with just one pair for the formal nights. Maybe go with a nude color or something like silver or gold that match (pretty much) everything. I don't go super formal so I wear the same shoes pretty much every night - I have a pair of nude and a pair of metallic strappy wedges which are the extent of my heels "collection" ;) They look good with casual clothes and also with my dressier outfits. I just take one pair when we travel.

Are the water shoes for specific excursions? Can the sandals double as you water shoes? We have Teva sandals that we have worn in the water (ie. cave tubing in Belize), they are also comfortable and sturdy enough for any other excursion or just hanging out by the pool. I don't like wearing sandals on the plane so I do wear sneakers or closed toe shoes on travel days.  

We pack light ourselves and I still tend to take too much - too many what if's while I am packing.  And if there is room in the suitcase I feel like I have to fill it! We have done 10 days with just a 22" and a backpack/tote each, came home with clean clothes.

Oh, yeah, 6 shoes - sorry, I miscounted and missed the extra pair for MDR.

I would probably wear my Chacos Outcross water shoes (closed toe, good for up to maybe 4 miles at a time, good in water), silver sandals (for dinner, either formal or casual) and maybe another walking sandal (that could be worn for dinner) or a ballet flat if I wanted another closed toe. 

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Oh, yeah, 6 shoes - sorry, I miscounted and missed the extra pair for MDR.

I would probably wear my Chacos Outcross water shoes (closed toe, good for up to maybe 4 miles at a time, good in water), silver sandals (for dinner, either formal or casual) and maybe another walking sandal (that could be worn for dinner) or a ballet flat if I wanted another closed toe. 

I was just looking at the Chaco Outcross water shoe. Do you really like them?  Sierra Trading Post has them on sale for $50.  

I love the Chaco shoe but it hasn't held up as well as I'd hoped for the price (I bought them on Amazon $65 in 2016 ) The webbing started rubbing & fraying REALLY quickly, like, within two or three months, and the sole separated a little from the insole. I glued, and now they've been the same since then. So for $50 I'd recommend them - they are great for hot climate walking (I wore them on an Asia cruise, to Universal in Florida etc) I was just hoping they'd have held up better for longer in the beginning. Ah well. Someone on flyertalk told me only the shoes from the "Custom Shop" now that the factory has moved to China. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:48 AM, Hoyaheel said:

I love the Chaco shoe but it hasn't held up as well as I'd hoped for the price (I bought them on Amazon $65 in 2016 ) The webbing started rubbing & fraying REALLY quickly, like, within two or three months, and the sole separated a little from the insole. I glued, and now they've been the same since then. So for $50 I'd recommend them - they are great for hot climate walking (I wore them on an Asia cruise, to Universal in Florida etc) I was just hoping they'd have held up better for longer in the beginning. Ah well. Someone on flyertalk told me only the shoes from the "Custom Shop" now that the factory has moved to China. 

Thanks Hoyaheel

I typically take one pair of Romika sandals for the MDR (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KY78P4Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1) --including formal nights.

One pair of Teva or Merrell sandals (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR0H7YI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that can be used in or out of the water.

One pair of tennies or Teva Omniums that can be worn with socks. 

I am pretty good at packing light. My suitcase usually looks like this.

2 swimsuits

4 pair shorts/capris

5 shirts

3 sundresses (for the dining room)

2 cardigans/sweatshirts

2 workout outfits

3 pairs of shoes (this includes flip flops, tennis shoes, and a pair of sandals for the dining room)

I mostly mix and match, and yes, I would wash if I needed to also. 

• Like 3

On 1/31/2019 at 11:43 PM, OrinocoFlow said:

We are on a Caribbean Cruise, and I'd like to challenge myself to travel lighter.  The fact is most days we'll be snorkeling or lounging on deck in swim clothes. Last time I know at night I rarely wanted to get dressed up, and always opted for the most comfortable clothes and shoes at dinner (that met the dress code). 

This trip is 14 days, technically 2 7 day back to backs.  So there are 3 formal nights, and 5 sea days.  We are snorkeling/beaching on port days.  We are generally pretty casual people. I always bring workout shorts. And we don't mind doing laundry (our ship has it). I didn't see these in your list.  I'm thinking 2 shorts, 2 tops, 2 pair socks (one of each to wear and one to wash - possibly hand wash) assuming you work out enough to want a fresh outfit each time.

What is the bare minimum packing list I could get away with? i was thinking maybe 

1 travel outfit including running shoes I would wear a light jacket or cardigan that can be worn with dinner outfits also (I get chilled easily in the evenings), possibly a decorative scarf too.

2 swimsuits (shorts and top), cover up, shoes (2 pairs of "water/pool" sandals/shoes") Even going minimal I agree with 2 suits - I hate putting on a wet suit.  Depending on how much you actually wear the cover-up you could get by with just 1.  I would have one pair of comfortable (bonus if cute/pretty) sandals with a back (not slides) and one pair of true water shoes for the beach - so basically what you have.

2 dresses for formal nights (one of which could go to a regular MDR meal) ( 2 pair of evening shoes) I'd cut back to 1 dress but change it up with accessories (scarf, sweater, jewelry, etc) and 1 neutral evening shoe.

1 casual dress for embarkation and MDR -extra pair of shoes that can go to mdr or casual days I'd be ok wearing my travel outfit to embarkation dinner by removing a layer if necessary.  I would be fine wearing a sturdy sandal, running shoes, or dress shoe to dinner - maybe have a lightweight pair of comfortable walking shoes if you primarily keep your sneakers for the gym.

2 pants for MDR, maybe 3 tops, and two light sweaters I'm more of a maxi skirt gal (more forgiving as the cruise goes on 😉 ) but 2 bottoms and 2-3 tops (maybe the casual dress mentioned above could fit in here too), the sweater you wore to travel (unless you had a jacket) and a wrap or other sweater sounds good.

a pair of comfy capris for lounging on deck or otherwise not swimming, eg for walks in the morning. This sounds good, maybe a comfy shirt too and these could also double as a second cover-up if needed.

(assume hats, undies, and various accessories, including carrying snorkel gear, wine, medications, journal/scrapbook materials, reading, and whatnot)

I always go back and forth between wanting to bring every cool summer outfit I own. but the fact is we really do seem to end up doing the same thing over and over:
breakfast/walk, snorkel or sea day activities, pool in afternoon, dinner in evening.  I think I'll get bored and then I just end up wearing the same stuff anyway.  How do you get "over" that desire to overpack? 

Advice, tips, links, all welcome since I'm sure this has been covered extensively. thanks in advance. 

I included my thoughts above

I have a couple of inputs. One: There is a common practice for a capsule travel wardrobe called "Clean Thirteen" (I am attaching the file below and it is self explanatory)

There is also the 5/2 method. (I use both methods depending upon the trip I am taking). The 5/2 method is two bottoms and five tops, not including your airplane outfit. So really you have 3 bottoms and 6-7 tops. This also does not include outer wear like jackets, or any special occasion wear (like a fancy dress for a wedding). So: for me (I am an author and I travel a lot for conferences and book signings so I have streamlined my travel wardrobe this past year and it has helped me tremendously) - 
Note: I am just putting examples here so disregard the colors I list, this is just for example purposes:

Bottoms:
1 black capris
1 Light weight Jeans (I usually never travel with jeans but I now wear Vera Wang jeans which are super lightweight)
Plane outfit bottom

Tops:
1 LS White tee
1 LS Black tee
1 SS Black tee
1 SS White tee
1 white button down shirt 
Plane outfit top

Outer: (I usually pack this in my carryon)
1 lightweight jacket
1 heavier top: sweater, cardi, sweatshirt

Underwear:
1 for every day, plus 3 extra in case I shower twice in a day (like if I am sea kayaking or some other activity) OR if there is laundry available, I will cut this in half. For a week I would take 4 underwear, because I can do a load of laundry midway.

Note: I never rely on hand-washing, I have done it, but usually we stay so busy that the idea of washing things out at 11:00 pm when we land back in our room/cabin, and we have an early call the next morning, it never happens.

2 bras
2 pr sport socks, 2 pair trouser socks, 2 pr of hose/tights

Also:
1 dress
1 skirt

Accessories: 

2 scarves, 1 belt, minimal jewelry, 2 pr shoes plus another I wear on the plane: heels, boots, Keens or Merrill water/hiking shoes, baseball cap or sun hat if necessary

This is just a quick example, and I hope this helps! Also, you can go to Pinterest and look at my capsule wardrobe board for tons of pins of packing light suggestions. https://www.pinterest.com/stacyallen5/capsule-wardrobe/

I have traveled to 85+ countries and I have learned packing tips the hard way. Gone are the days when I dragged too much stuff around the globe!
Best,
Stacy

capsule wardrobe Clean 13.JPG

Edited by mybagsarepacked
left something out
  • Thanks 1

Stacy, I love the “5-2” method and I can say it does work really well. I have been away from home for a month now and although I didn’t realize I was using this method, that is exactly how I packed my roll aboard. We don’t check bags as a rule so I have to be careful with my choices. This trip, I do have access to a washer and dryer which makes it easier to manage. When I don’t, I will hand wash when needed even though it can be a pain. Thanks for sharing both methods.

Sharon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mybagsarepacked said:

There is a common practice for a capsule travel wardrobe called "Clean Thirteen" 

Whatever's Clean is one of the templates I mention from Janice at TheVivienneFiles.com - you know, to give proper credit and all 😉 I personally find a 4X4 works better for my purposes, but that's why there are options - we all have different preferences 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

A tip for hand washing (in case anyone didn't know): if you roll the damp clothes in a towel after ringing them out you can remove a lot more water to aid in the drying time.

Yes, this is a good tip. On cruises or hotels I will ask for an extra towel  if extras haven’t already been supplied.

Sharon

you guys are amazing! I found something similar to what you were describing here, and this is what I've gone with so far.  

I am AMAZED at how much room I had left over for the "stuff" I like to take on a cruise: mask/snorkel, magnetic hooks, coffee mug, etc.  I could have easily gotten it all into a carry on, if I didn't have to check a bag to port the wine and other liquids (like a vat of sunscreen, etc). 

Here's the link I used.

I am excited to find your other methods. having these "structures" forced me to make choices and be smart to take less.  and it's really paying off.  I'm going to explore them now and put into my spreadsheet even if I use them for a work trip! 

So grateful for this expertise!  KEep it coming!

PS. To those who asked about shoes: one pair of my evening shoes are tieks that fold up flat and the other are a pair of very comfortable espadrilles I can wear in the main dining room with other pants. It's a nice chance of pace. I wear my running shoes to travel and work out in. Could probably get by with one pair of closed toe Keen's for the beach. I wear the grey keens on the ship, they're a bit more dressy and fun and can even make it to the MDR with one of the pairs of pants. I love to wear shoes with no socks. In fact, I'm adding my favorite floral birkenstocks with the extra room I have left. I have ot have shoes with arch support if I'm running or doing any serious port walking.  So if I had to pare down, it would be : running shoes, brown keens, black tieks.  I'd still wish for my birkenstocks though and I would probably add them....

Edited by OrinocoFlow
adding info on shoes
  • Like 1

I will most likely never stop over packing, but I did it in 2017 with a 16 day trip to the Mediterranean, including 2 night before on land, 11 night cruise, 1 night Venice, 2 nights Rome.  What I learned from this trip:

• take tiny travel size toiletries
  • take black clothes
  • take a lighweight travel jacket that's slightly loose, and put a knit vest under it for more warmth
  • take 1 pair evening sandals, 1 pair walking shoes, and 1 pair day sandals
  • sleep in tee shirts

This was all in a 19" spinner carry-on.

Now, I have to pack for a 76 night trip on 3 continents, with multiple weather zones from 45 - 90 degrees.

What I've learned in the past is it's not the AMOUNT of clothes you take, but the WEIGHT of the clothes.  I take  LOTS of different colored chiffon tops with sleeveless or short-sleeved tops to wear underneath in neutral colors.  Bottoms are white, black, and beige knit capris and long pants. My evening jackets are also chiffon.  Even these light tops with a layer underneath and the aforementioned travel jacket do me well in 55 - 60 degree mornings getting of a ship.

I bought 98% of my clothes on ebay: you'd be surprised.

Shoes are the same, maaaaaaybeeee add another pair of day sandals.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

I have packing pretty much to a science at this point....it’s as follows and what I did for our past cruise which was 10 days.

1 black formal dress- I take a shrug or pashmina, assorted jewelry to dress it up

1 casual dress

1 pair of slacks

5 blouses, 2 that I can wear with my shorts 

3 pairs of shorts

6 t shirts/tanks

flip flops, flats, dressy sandals

undergarments

I love black and white, so my dress and bottoms are usually always that and depending on the area, I adjust my tops.  We were in Panama this past cruise and I expected ridiculously hot....didn’t work out that way and I ended up bringing clean items home.