Cruise ideas for 56 yr old newly widowed female

Garbs62

My husband and I cruised many times together in the past (Carnival and NCL).  We loved cruising!  But, he passed away 8 months ago and I'm finding I really want to go on a cruise by myself. I am looking for something where I can heal and also, maybe, be able to enjoy myself a little bit.  It's been a very stressful, emotional time for me and I still have my break-down moments. I love being on deck and am looking for a larger ship where I can read in a quiet corner or, if I want, have a few beers on deck and swim or soak in a hot tub.  Yes, I do enjoy my beers and would like a nice drink package.  Although I have grown kids and one grandchild, I really would rather be on a ship with less children. To counter that, though, I am fairly active and don't want to be on a ship with nothing to do either.  Nor do I want to have to dress up if I don't want to.  I really am not sure what cruise line to choose for what I want.  I'm a tough one, but would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks eveyone!

• Like 1

I am in exactly your situation and understand what you're saying. My husband died suddenly on our cruise nine months ago.  Unfortunately we live on opposite sides of the world.  We had future cruises already booked and paid for, so I asked a girlfriend from school days to join me for the longer Mediterranean cruise and my son came on the New Zealand cruise.  I am going on my first solo cruise in December on Ruby Princess.  It is an 8-night South Pacific cruise with a special travelling film festival for added interest.  I think the smaller, more intimate ships like Azamara, Viking and Oceania would be good for mixing with others, but larger ships like Celebrity's Solstice class are great.  Being around the pool deck on Silhouette in the Caribbean might suit you.  It is having to usually pay virtually double that rankles!  I am thinking of taking more small group land tours now; Globus or Trafalgar Tours and the like.  My own room but other people to go sight seeing with and share a dinner table.

P.S.  I'm going ahead with a long ago prebooked Caribbean cruise next January, on Norwegian Getaway from New Orleans.  Definitely fits the "larger ship" you considered.

• Like 1

Garbs,

First my condolences on your loss.

I just took my first solo a little over 2 years after losing my wife of 46 years.  I was on the Epic and always found plenty to do for 11 days.  I did enjoy reading on deck and in the library too.

To be safe, you might want to pick a cruise going where you prefer and the investigate that ship.  You can get a lot of entertainment and dining info from the cruise lines sites and you can even ask someone to email you a copy of the dailys to get a feel for that ship's offerings.

Longer cruises tend to have fewer children.  My cruise was just after Thanksgiving and there were enough children to add some life to the ship but not enough to knock you down or crowd you.

I hope you find what you are searching for.

Condolences on your loss. 

I don't have specific advice for you because I usually cruise on small ships, but there is a board here dedicated to solo cruising:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

It even has a thread where people post solo bargains. 

While one often has to pay double or nearly double the double occupancy rate to cruise solo, there are sometimes specials where the solo supplement is reduced or waived entirely. Often these are last minute deals to fill the ship but sometimes there are ones farther out.  There are also some ships with single person rooms. 

My condolences on your loss. I lost my husband 10 yrs ago. At first I was reluctant to cruise solo but in 2014 I bit the bullet and sailed in a studio on the Epic, Western Mediterranean. It was great, lots of other solos, not singles. Varied activities, you chose what to participate in or not. Only adults no kids in the studio area. I have now sailed on most of the NCL ships with studios and love the independence but having others when I desire. The waterfront on the newer ships is a fabulous place to relax read with little to no kids. Best thing about the studios is they are priced for the solo. I've paid double for selected itineraries but that's another story. Good luck. Debbie 

Hi, my condolences to you as well.  I am not in your shoes but I have been cruising solo for nearly 16 years.   I would say to possibly contact a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising and explain your particular circumstances and what you told us (in the sense of what you are looking for). 

I will say I sailed Celebrity for many years and if you want to try them as a mainstream line, they usually have less children than say, Royal Caribbean/Carnival.  More recently I have sailed on much smaller ships (I know you said you like the larger ones) but my experiences have been awesome on the small ships. I have come to the realization I like them so much better than the big ones.  I went luxury for my past 2 cruises on Silversea and absolutely love them:classic_biggrin:.  I am trying Azamara in April and can't wait to try them too.

Good luck with your decision and I really do hope you are able to find what you are looking for.  Oh, I am just a bit older than you (60) and I love having a cold beer too!.....:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!  I am hesitant to move from NCL since I do really love their Waterfront, but I'm sure there are others out there that are just as nice. I don't know why I'm making such a big deal out of this, but I guess it is since I will be going without my husband. 😞  Anyway, I may just book something with more sea days since that is what I really enjoy. 

First of all, my condolences to you and your family. I am always sorry to hear of such sad news.

For what it’s worth, I’m on a 22 day Mediterranean cruise in October (Princess). I am a solo traveller and in my research I have found this cruise to be very accommodating to my needs. I’ll be on the Emerald Princess, which is for 3000+ passengers, plus the timing for such a cruise is temperature friendly. 

The ship has several amenities that are solo friendly including “The Sanctuary”.  

Good luck in your search and happy sailing!

Glenn

I'm so sorry for your loss. My husband died in October of 2016, and like you, we both enjoyed cruising so much. I decided this year that I was going to go again. I invited my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and my best friend. We sail Sept 1 and I am so excited. 
I personally am not sure how I would handle a solo cruise but maybe some day in the future. I applaud you for embarking on this journey (pun intended). 

If you need someone to talk to, just holler.

Lisa

On 2/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, Garbs62 said:

My husband and I cruised many times together in the past (Carnival and NCL)... But, he passed away 8 months ago and I'm finding I really want to go on a cruise by myself... Yes, I do enjoy my beers and would like a nice drink package... I really would rather be on a ship with less children...  I am fairly active and don't want to be on a ship with nothing to do either.  Nor do I want to have to dress up if I don't want to.  I really am not sure what cruise line to choose for what I want.  I'm a tough one, but would appreciate any suggestions.

Sorry for your loss.  Our good friend lost the man in her life in January after 8 years together.  She is like minded with you to take a cruise and regroup.  You have loyalty credits with Carnival and NCL and that means a lot. It is a plus that you are in San Diego and Lines that RT from there offer the benefit of no air travel. These include RCL and Celebrity.  Be mindful of school holidays and take a longer cruise, like two weeks, to avoid kids on the ship. Celebrity does not have a lot of daytime activities.  Princess will have you dress three nights on a two week cruise.  Consider a RT from a California port to Alaska or Hawaii on a mass market line, which have the larger ships.  You might also look into the premium lines, which are inclusive on drinks and activities, but they are very expensive.

Edited by mtnesterz

So sorry for your lost. I too lost my husband 6 years ago and we loved to cruise.

My dear friend who also lost her husband 2 weeks before me and I will be doing a 5 dayer in May on the ruby princess. We tell family and friends we are the wandering widows. I was thinking of doing a solo cruise next year for a short getaway and to teach myself it's ok to be with just me. Thankyou for giving me the courage to maybe trying a solo cruise.

I see you are out of San Diego, we start our cruise from San Diego and end in Vancouver.🙂.

Angel(Bev)

• Like 1

I am sorry for your loss.  I was 57 when my husband died 2 years ago.  We loved cruising and I took my first cruise 7 months after he died on what would have been our 31st anniversary.  There were emotional times but overall it was great and cathartic.  I cruised NCL and did go to the solo meetings; I was fine doing stuff on my own but it was nice to have the option to dine or go to shows with other people if you wanted without having to search them out.  I have not cruised solo on any other line but NCL does a great job with solos and I think their price is fair for their product. I have cruised a few times since - not solo - but I am looking forward to cruising to solo again soon!

• Like 1

Hi Garbs, I am in your "boat" at age 55:  DH passed away last year 2 weeks before his birthday cruise.    After debating and researching and changing my mind 40 times, I booked a cruise in November this year on the line and ship we always sailed, Silversea.  I thought I wanted something very different like a river cruise but this was such a good price and I know they will take good care of me.  What does your gut say?  Mine was very happy once I called my TA.

Missy

On 2/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, Garbs62 said:

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!  I am hesitant to move from NCL since I do really love their Waterfront, but I'm sure there are others out there that are just as nice. I don't know why I'm making such a big deal out of this, but I guess it is since I will be going without my husband. 😞  Anyway, I may just book something with more sea days since that is what I really enjoy. 

Garbs my deepest sympathies. Eight and a half years ago I was in your shoes when I lost my husband. The person who was our travel agent convinced me to cruise again, solo, about 8 months later. I did NCL Getaway and loved it. Since then I have cruised with friends, that I totally love being with, and have had great times with them. Now I have a cruise booked solo next month. I am totally looking forward to being alone again. I am cruising on Princess this time but I have to say I will miss NCL. I love the variety of specialty restaurants and activities. Like you, I'm not into a lot of kids so usually plan my trips when school is still going. I have seen cruises on NCL where even with the double price  on an interior came in cheaper than a solo cabin. The new Celebrity Edge has a Infinite Veranda for singles. It is 131 sq ft with a small balcony. So options are increasing for those of us who want to cruise solo.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, greenhouse6 said:

I am sorry for your loss.  I was 57 when my husband died 2 years ago.  We loved cruising and I took my first cruise 7 months after he died on what would have been our 31st anniversary.  There were emotional times but overall it was great and cathartic.  I cruised NCL and did go to the solo meetings; I was fine doing stuff on my own but it was nice to have the option to dine or go to shows with other people if you wanted without having to search them out.  I have not cruised solo on any other line but NCL does a great job with solos and I think their price is fair for their product. I have cruised a few times since - not solo - but I am looking forward to cruising to solo again soon!

I had to cancel the annual cruise we had booked due to his passing, but I need to continue cruising. My gut says to stay with NCL for now and I can't afford the luxury lines.  But, it does scare me to think about what my emotions will be on a ship that will remind me of him everywhere.  But, I think of him everyday anyway so I guess that's ok. 

I am sorry for your loss.

My wife and I both loved cruising.  I won't say there aren't some things on a cruise that make me temporarily sad but I choose to remember the happy times we had and how she enjoyed them.  When I watch a sunrise or sunset from the ship, I can almost sense her by my side.  She loved the colors of the sky so much.

Later this month I will cruise on the same ship that we took our for our first Carnival cruise.  I expect to see her "ghost" in several places, but I am confident it will be a happy ghost.

I hope you can remember the happy times too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will be able to tell you more in a month but look at the NCL Studio cabins.  Everyone in the Studio cabins is solo, there is a Studio Lounge and a Studio coordinator.  I seen a complaint from a 20's cruiser that the Studio Cabins were full of old people;  I am guessing 40 and over.  This makes me feel better that there will be older cruisers in the Studio area.

• Like 1

I just got back from my return cruise on the Carnival Conquest.  I did see many places my wife and I enjoyed when we were on our first cruise.  But every time I saw an image of her in those places, I saw a smile on her face.  She enjoyed cruising so much.

If you focus on the joy your spouse and you shared on cruises, I am sure you will enjoy your cruise now.

My first few cruises after my wife's passing were with family but I have had 2 solo cruises too.  I still love cruising.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, Garbs62 said:

I had to cancel the annual cruise we had booked due to his passing, but I need to continue cruising. My gut says to stay with NCL for now and I can't afford the luxury lines.  But, it does scare me to think about what my emotions will be on a ship that will remind me of him everywhere.  But, I think of him everyday anyway so I guess that's ok. 

I know how you feel.  My solo cruise was on the NCL Escape which we had booked for our 30th anniversary but had to cancel due to his illness.  I was worried that all I would think of is what we would have done together or what he would have thought about the shows, dining, etc. But for me, I needed to do this ship and cruise by myself so I didn't have to pretend for anyone else how I was feeling. I'm not sure that makes sense but it worked and I had a really nice time.

• Like 1

My husband passed away suddenly a year ago last February.  We loved to cruise.  However, things have changed.  I will be going on the Crown Princess June 18th with two of my adult children and their families.  I would like to do some things on my own as I don't want them to feel that they need to entertain me.  I am a young 65 year old and am very active.  Does anyone know if this ship has any activities involving this age group?

• 2 weeks later...

I am 55 and just got off my first solo cruise. I am not in the same situation. My husband had no time available off of work but I did. Found an incredible deal to Bermuda out of Boston for 7 nights on NCL. Booked 4 days in advance. Always wanted to see what it was like to travel by myself. It was great. Did whatever I wanted to or nothing at all. Found a dinner buddy for some meals but was fine eating on my own. Very relaxing cruise. Will do it again in a minute. Still like having my husband with me but did enjoy doing it on my own also. 

• Like 3