Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

On 6/25/2020 at 9:12 AM, steamboats said:

Which is no "confirmation" but speculation...

steamboats

What a smart-alec remark- just watch NDR or read NWZ.

Fire broke out on deck 2 Odyssey due to welding works and was extinguished quickly

Edited by Kbonner

5 hours ago, Kbonner said:

What a smart-alec remark- just watch NDR or read NWZ.

Fire broke out on deck 2 Odyssey due to welding works and was extinguished quickly

Sorry, but media can´t confirm anything unless Meyer or Royal do confirm it. Of course I´ve read NDR. And they say "es soll sich ... gehandelt haben" which is no confirmation. The local police mentioned the name and that´s what NDR is referring to. The last time we had a fire on the AIDAsaga 😉 - source was also local police.

Not that I doubt it has been the Odyssey. But there´s a difference between someone is saying something and an official confirmation by the shipyard or the future owner.

steamboats

• Like 1

Meyer Werft published a new video update which is very emotional.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4M-95XMT9I

Tim Meyer confirmed the fire onboard the Odyssey of the Seas and talked about a high damage and delays.

The Iona will be handed over in August and the Spirit of Adventure in September.

Seems like the financial situation is not good. 

steamboats

29 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Meyer Werft published a new video update which is very emotional.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4M-95XMT9I

Tim Meyer confirmed the fire onboard the Odyssey of the Seas and talked about a high damage and delays.

The Iona will be handed over in August and the Spirit of Adventure in September.

Seems like the financial situation is not good. 

steamboats

Can't access this site keeps saying site can't be reached.  Can you please re send the correct link to it.  Thanks  Joan

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Link works fine for me.   It’s also in German. 

I finally got it and it was all in German so I did not understand a word.  Just wanted to find out if we will really be delayed for my 11/14/20 cruise

Edited by cappy09

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Link works fine for me.   It’s also in German. 

Link also worked for me.  Wish I could speak/understand German.  Thought I heard something about a September 2021 date, but I have no idea what it was about.  Does anyone know if the fire will cause a delay in delivery of the Odyssey to RCCL?

1 hour ago, cappy09 said:

I finally got it and it was all in German so I did not understand a word.  Just wanted to find out if we will really be delayed for my 11/14/20 cruise

Did you try enabling the auto-generated English subtitles?

43 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

Link also worked for me.  Wish I could speak/understand German.  Thought I heard something about a September 2021 date, but I have no idea what it was about.  Does anyone know if the fire will cause a delay in delivery of the Odyssey to RCCL?

Inquiring minds want to know.   Please translate if they expect a delay finishing by the 11/14 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale if anyone out there understood what was said  Thanking you in advance    Joan

23 minutes ago, Dunfermlinecruiser said:

Think that’s the final nail in the coffin for anyone expecting to sail on that boat this year ( including me) not a chance in hell now - just not meant to be.....

Sad, if true.

953EC76C-3128-43C8-B281-C917E035A149.jpeg.71dcb8ae12d695fd298d95836de0dfcc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

How do you enable English subtitles?  Found the link to get German subtitles.

So, once you've enabled the German subtitles, click the gear icon, go to the subtitles option, select the auto translate and select English (or your preferred language).  It's not perfect, but you can get the idea of the topic...

58 minutes ago, Dunfermlinecruiser said:

Think that’s the final nail in the coffin for anyone expecting to sail on that boat this year ( including me) not a chance in hell now - just not meant to be.....

Refunded my CP purchases today.  Used up all my stockholder OBC because why not?  🙂   Felt good buying stuff without using my credit card.  I would have had a lot of fun at CocoCay burning through the OBC.  

The writing was on the wall, there was just no way they could complete on time.  Then the fire.  

Like they say, things happen in fours.

1. Crane falls on Oasis
  2. Hurricane messes up a bunch of cruises
  3. Pandemic halts cruising and delays ship building
  4. Odyssey catches on fire

I hope Meyer can get their short term loans and doesn't go bust.  Maybe things happen in fives.

Tim Meyer did only mention the fire onboard the Odyssey saying it caused a high damage (not mentioning any amount - media was talking about 40,000 Euro) and a further delay - but again no mention how long the delay will be.

They are looking for a new short time loan. They won´t pay some due gratuities in time but after the hand over of the Iona in late August (so a 4 months delay as the Iona´s hand over was due in the beginning of May). Hand over of the Spirit of Adventure is now scheduled for late September. Saga already has talked about October. The negotiations with the cruise lines still don´t seem to be over but difficult (regarding the "stretching" of the new builts delivery plan).

Again, regarding the Odyssey there were no dates given or any hints about the duration of a delay. Fire was confirmed.

steamboats

14 hours ago, cappy09 said:

I guess it's almost certain even before the fire that RCL will do everything possible to negociate a delayed delivery of the ship and have it in the 2021 books and not before. On top of it, no one knows at this stage if cruises will sail already in November, hence I highly recomend you to look for alternative plans / a cruise you would like to take at a later date.

Fire is often fought with water, water tends to go other places and cause water damage beyond the direct area damaged in the fire.   We'll likely never know the extent of the physical damage.  The estimate given could be a little bit of material and mostly labor to restore the area it or it could be an estimate of the physical damage only with effort to restore not included.  

I take it the "complex negotiations" are their customers looking for all sorts of ways to induce a delay without incurring contract based penalties.  Customers don't need their new ships but Meyer doesn't want to be left holding the bill for them and their upkeep while their customers drag their feet and delay delivery.  

The fire potentially plays into Royal's hands.  The fire induces a delay likely without exposing Royal to contract based penalties.   Meyer has to pay for the restoration and for the delay it causes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cappy09 said:

Inquiring minds want to know.   Please translate if they expect a delay finishing by the 11/14 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale if anyone out there understood what was said  Thanking you in advance    Joan

I just cancelled my Nov 28 2020 sailing for a full refund. As others have said she was already behind and the fire just made her farther behind , I wouldn't be surprised to not see her in Florida till next fall after she does the summer in the Med but that's just my thoughts

Edited by dalee21860

On 6/26/2020 at 4:40 AM, Lloyd555 said:

AIDAcosma megablock floated out and Odyssey of the Seas moved backwards towards the big doorway for her future float out.

📷 Meyer Werft

20200626_043529.jpg.37de8c1b16f8b1fb7e93c317cdd015d6.jpg

My apologies,  but she wasn't about to be moved backwards. 

I only just (barely) noticed that the basin wall is up behind her, leaving her in dry dock.

She is still in same spot, as captured in visitor photos. Not sure why she wasn't  moved.

20200628_141307.jpg.3d41a979440917d8aef9a993faa0a715.jpg

20200628_130103.thumb.jpg.4c3c5291bf76b8cccb8f485db1f5a3e4.jpg

20200628_130045.thumb.jpg.eefd672b9db17b5ad997c9da553d54af.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

55 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

My apologies,  but she wasn't about to be moved backwards. 

I only just (barely) noticed that the basin wall is up behind her, leaving her in dry dock.

She is still in same spot, as captured in visitor photos. Not sure why she wasn't  move

You are right Lloyd. The next mega block for Aida Acosma will be started behind Odyssey. Then when that mega block is completed and moved out then Odyssey is moved backward.

4 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Not sure why she wasn't  moved.

If they Odyssey moves back and the AIDAcosma´s second block is built at the door they first have to move the second block out of the hall. After that the Odyssey can leave the hall. So it´s easier to build the second block in the back, move out the (almost) finished Odyssey and move back in the AIDAcosma block which is now outside.

steamboats