Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

Still getting over my beloved WJ aft outdoor seating being gone on Odyssey.  Odd that cold weather variations include outdoor seating while this warm weather version doesn't.  Oh well, guess they needed more indoor WJ seating. 

On the other hand it's good to see the suite lounge on deck 13 coming along.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

If they Odyssey moves back and the AIDAcosma´s second block is built at the door they first have to move the second block out of the hall. After that the Odyssey can leave the hall. So it´s easier to build the second block in the back, move out the (almost) finished Odyssey and move back in the AIDAcosma block which is now outside.

steamboats

Strange they did odyssey the opposite way center section behind Iona floated it out moved Iona back then did odyssey's bow section in front of Iona

Did I miss the May 26 fire?

http://www.pazzoperilmare.it/blog/2020/05/26/incendio-a-bordo-di-odyssey-of-the-seas/

I suppose these things happen in shipyards with lots of welding and similar activity going on.  

The June 24 fire sounds more serious though or maybe more impactful is a better phrase.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Did I miss the May 26 fire?

http://www.pazzoperilmare.it/blog/2020/05/26/incendio-a-bordo-di-odyssey-of-the-seas/

I suppose these things happen in shipyards with lots of welding and similar activity going on.  

The June 24 fire sounds more serious though or maybe more impactful is a better phrase.  

Interesting that in this article it talks of delivery at the end of 2020. Curious when RCI will make an announcement about the delayed delivery date. 

4 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Interesting that in this article it talks of delivery at the end of 2020. Curious when RCI will make an announcement about the delayed delivery date. 

They stated last Wednesday that an announcement would be coming in the next week or two.

There was a fire on May 22nd which was limited to one cabin and caused a damage of 40,000 Euro according to the news. Meyer never confirmed the ship´s name. Many media sources named the ship "AIDA saga" mixing up the AIDAcosma and the Spirit of Adventure for Saga Cruises. Other media sources talked about the Odyssey.

steamboats

32 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They stated last Wednesday that an announcement would be coming in the next week or two.

If delivery of Odyssey is delayed until the end of the year or early 2021, will RCCL bring her to Florida?

10 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

If delivery of Odyssey is delayed until the end of the year or early 2021, will RCCL bring her to Florida?

I would say yes.  They have sailings that have a high % of cabins sold at a premium price, I can't see them giving that up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would say yes.  They have sailings that have a high % of cabins sold at a premium price, I can't see them giving that up.

That is good news.  We are scheduled to be on the Odyssey 2/23/2021.  And back to the title of this thread, we are due to get an Odyssey crystal block during this cruise.

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

I would say it would depend on how far into 2021 she is due in the med in may

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

I think this falls under the "complex negotiations" that Meyer Werft is handling with it's customers.

P&O is refusing to take delivery of their new ship Iona.  I think we can all understand why.  If they can delay delivery until cruising is closer to normal it saves them a lot of money (at the expense of Meyer Werft).

I'm sure Royal is trying to delay Odyssey as much as they can with fewest penalties incurred based on contracts.  Bringing Odyssey into the fleet during the initial restart of cruising will cost them a lot of money in terms of financing but also a great deal to sail empty to America.  The cost benefit analysis may be more favorable to taking delivery so she can start her inaugural season in the Med.   

She will achieve the much anticipated fanfare whenever she comes to America like Symphony did.  Some displaced guests from an American delay will sail other ships and during an initial restart period the lower numbers will compliment a reduced capacity approach.  The point is they won't lose all Odyssey revenue, some will push to other ships, some will defer to a later American debut in the fall of 2021.  Either way they still capture most of that money while making the Med. her inaugural debut will minimize debt obligations and an empty transatlantic to America itself costing substantially.

If the CV-19 delay combined with the fire delay is pushing her into late January or February they'd be crazy to bring her to America for ~1 month.

From Meyer Werft: The Odyssey of the Seas will move within the hall in the next few days and continue to move towards the water side (big door). Today, the wooden blocks were set for this. Due to the exact placement of the wooden blocks, the ship has a firm stand after the move.

📷 Meyer Werft

MW1.thumb.jpg.147126bed409f843d8a076b63c10572d.jpg

MW2.thumb.jpg.8093de8bca5c3d70026662f1139115c7.jpg

MW3.thumb.JPG.b55abe6f34b4c794907a63f54a8e52c7.JPG

MW4.thumb.JPG.7aa2a720c022d322b5d7803ce2d30204.JPG

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

That is good news.  We are scheduled to be on the Odyssey 2/23/2021.  And back to the title of this thread, we are due to get an Odyssey crystal block during this cruise.

I hope that total isn't dependent on many other trips prior😉

17 hours ago, twangster said:

I think this falls under the "complex negotiations" that Meyer Werft is handling with it's customers.

P&O is refusing to take delivery of their new ship Iona.  I think we can all understand why.  If they can delay delivery until cruising is closer to normal it saves them a lot of money (at the expense of Meyer Werft).

I'm sure Royal is trying to delay Odyssey as much as they can with fewest penalties incurred based on contracts.  Bringing Odyssey into the fleet during the initial restart of cruising will cost them a lot of money in terms of financing but also a great deal to sail empty to America.  The cost benefit analysis may be more favorable to taking delivery so she can start her inaugural season in the Med.   

She will achieve the much anticipated fanfare whenever she comes to America like Symphony did.  Some displaced guests from an American delay will sail other ships and during an initial restart period the lower numbers will compliment a reduced capacity approach.  The point is they won't lose all Odyssey revenue, some will push to other ships, some will defer to a later American debut in the fall of 2021.  Either way they still capture most of that money while making the Med. her inaugural debut will minimize debt obligations and an empty transatlantic to America itself costing substantially.

If the CV-19 delay combined with the fire delay is pushing her into late January or February they'd be crazy to bring her to America for ~1 month.

But would it go back to the Med if the proposed EU ban extends into next year and cruising resumes in America 

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Looking at the pictures of the stern, does this class of ship only have two Azipods?  

M8

Yes, Quantum class all have two pods.  Freedom class had 3, each of 14Mw, while the Quantum class pods are 20Mw each, so very similar propulsion capacity.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But would it go back to the Med if the proposed EU ban extends into next year and cruising resumes in America 

The world will have to cope with CV-19 for several more years.  All bets are off into 2021 and beyond.

• Thanks 1

In the wake of COVID-19, our initial global suspension and its subsequent extensions, we understand the uneasiness all of this has caused both for you as a travel advisor and, of course, your clients whose vacations have been regrettably disrupted. The health crisis has unfortunately also impacted shipyard operations, as well as our supply chain. As a result, the debut of our newest fleet member, Odyssey of the Seas, will be delayed, resulting in the unfortunate cancellation of all sailings between November 5, 2020 - April 17, 2021.

We are saddened to have to share this news. There’s nothing we wanted more than to launch this revolutionary ship this fall — but trust us when we say that Odyssey will be well worth the wait!

Of course, we understand that this update will impact many guests and we want to be sure they’re taken care of. The compensation options from our global suspensions will also apply to these impacted sailings. Travel partners with affected clients will be notified directly with the complete details.

When Odyssey of the Seas does arrive, please be aware of updates to two onboard activities when selling to your clients. The trapeze school will no longer be a feature of the SeaPlex. Also, we are modifying the age restrictions to the Sky Pad — guests must be at least 7 years old to jump, and at least 13 years old to jump with a virtual reality headset.

Please know that we appreciate beyond words your continued support throughout these uncertain times. And we look forward to welcoming your clients onboard our newest family addition, Odyssey of the Seas, in 2021!

• Thanks 1