Live from Silver Shadow: Voyage #3904; Hong Kong to Singapore, Feb 8 - 22, 2019

Stumblefoot

Well... not really "live" yet, but will be soon!

Work is a wrap and it's time to complete final preparations and begin packing for our trip to Southeast Asia.  Our adventure will begin Sun., Feb 3 @ 3:00a as we depart the house for the airport to catch our 5:45a flight to DFW in order to connect to AA #125 onward to Hong Kong.  We'll arrive HKG @ 5:35p on lunar new year's eve and catch the MTR Airport Express to the Kowloon Station in order to begin our 4-night stay at the Ritz Carlton.

RitzHongKongNight.thumb.jpg.0b5feef6d22fabb82dd1b13e03920c3d.jpg
Ritz Carlton Hong Kong

Once we get checked in and settled, I know we'll want to head right out into the night to watch the Symphony of Lights and Hong Kong Pulse 3D Light Show before heading to a late dinner.  After a dinner, I'm sure we'll join all of the Chinese families enjoying the evening's festivities at either the Victoria Park or Mong Kok flower markets.
HKG-FlowerMarket.jpg.8bc91858c28113dcec9e0810fa34f106.jpg
Flower Market

Once on board the Shadow, we'll look forward to the Meet & Mingle that is currently scheduled for 12; bridge champ, lac65, lilyluz, palmspringsguys, zqtchas, and the Stumbles.  During this 14-day voyage we'll only visit four ports of call and have extensive exploration time due to many overnight stays in port.  In addition, we will depart the Shadow for a total of 3-nights to participate in two separate land tours; Hanoi and Angkor Wat. 
MapVoyage.JPG.b8be3255efc39457eda2f3eebd8b08b7.JPG

Voyage #3904 Map, Feb 8 - 22, 2019

In closing, feel free to let me know of any questions you may have about the Shadow and I'll do my best to answer them once on board.

Have a great trip Stumblefoot, we will wave to you from the Grand Hyatt as we head out for dinner with friends. Currently in a very hot Siem Reap and heading to Hong Kong this afternoon.

You will love Hanoi and The Wat is simply stunning!

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1

Yay, Stumbles! The long wait is finally over!! Wishing happy air/land/sea travels to you and Mrs. Stumbles. I look forward to your live-as-possible updates, and to waving a virtual hello/goodbye as you leave and I board on the 22nd. Please do leave some prosecco behind 🙂

If you have a chance, I will be interested in hearing about a couple of things: 

* what are sea days like on these Shadow Asian voyages? Anything fabulous I should plan around?

* does the MDR ever serve local or regional Asian fare? Or are there other special events (lunch buffet at the pool grill?) when they do?

* what are your favorite parts of HCMC, which excursions do you hear people raving about, or which places are well worth wandering to on your own?

In the meantime, enjoy the shiny lights of Hong Kong -- I know Bumbles are especially fond of those. 

Saluti,

Stumblefoot/Brian and Amy; Ida and I send hopes for Fair Winds and Following Seas for your Shadow Asia voyage.  Please give Zqtchas/Charles and Elaine warm regards from Ida and I. Don't forget to take Amy to the Jim Thompson store in Bangkok so you can get Taylor a nice silk.

T minus 10 hours until LIFTOFF!

Sun., Feb 2 @ 7:45p MST

To: Davey and Mr. Silver - Thank you for the well wishes!

To: JP - Definitely thankful to be flying over the polar vortex as opposed to being in it like you were.

To: Unibok - Sure would have been fun to cruise together.  We'll be sure to leave the Shadow in tip top shape for you along with plenty of prosecco for your arrival.  I'll be sure to respond to each of your questions as well so you can plan accordingly for your voyage.
To: Wes - I'll be sure to pass along your well wishes to Zqtchas.  As far as shopping at the famous Jim Thompson store, hopefully Amy isn't reading this thread.  I've been trying my best to keep her away from RojAnn's jeweler recommendations as well.  😄

------------------------- 

Bags are packed.  All necessary documents are printed.  We're ready.  Off to bed as that 2:00a wake-up call is going to come awfully early tomorrow.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I think you will be somewhere in the middle here.

You got that right Mr. Silver!  Hoping for the upgrade too.  :classic_wink:

Also, on the night of the massive lunar new year fireworks, we've got a window table reserved at Tosca on the 107th floor for primo viewing.

How much longer are you going to in town?

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Off to bed as that 2:00a wake-up call is going to come awfully early tomorrow.

Well, that idea certainly didn't go as planned. 

As I was dragging DW's large suitcase down the stairs, I broke off one of her wheels.  After spending 30-minutes trying to fix it, I resorted to the ultimate remedy; duct tape!  I'm really, really in the dog house now and we haven't even left yet.  Oh well, it beats having someone hack our checking account like poor Rachel G had to deal with before leaving for Buenos Aires.

What do you think the chances are that SS still stocks a roll on each ship in honor of one of their legendary cruisers, the one and only Duct Tape?  I'm just hoping the suitcase will hold up until we can get on board Friday.

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

You got that right Mr. Silver!  Hoping for the upgrade too.  :classic_wink:

Also, on the night of the massive lunar new year fireworks, we've got a window table reserved at Tosca on the 107th floor for primo viewing.

How much longer are you going to in town?

Unfortunately we fly out at 11:30 tomorrow night, so I think we will miss the fireworks.

Afternoon tea time and it mist has cleared, so here is a better shot of your viewpoint. Sorry to hear about the wheels, somewhere between getting off the Mekong Cruise vessel, via the Tonle Sap lake speedboat, and arriving in Siem Reap, both our suitcases had the SS labels ripped off and the padlock and it’s holder smashed off.

9FD07143-8B6E-48D4-A082-6F7C2D9D1A44.jpeg

• Like 1

I will monitor this thread with interest as we are on the Shadow later on this year. Personally I am interested in the ‘use of regional cuisine’ as we are in the Med and Mediterranean cuisine tops our foody list, which thinking laterally leads to ask ‘how often does the menu change in La Terrazza?’. When on the  Wind it was every three days but serious rumour is it now a weekly change? 

18 hours ago, WesW said:

Stumblefoot/Brian and Amy; Ida and I send hopes for Fair Winds and Following Seas for your Shadow Asia voyage.  Please give Zqtchas/Charles and Elaine warm regards from Ida and I. Don't forget to take Amy to the Jim Thompson store in Bangkok so you can get Taylor a nice silk.

Thanks Wes, miss yawl.

We leave 6th 6am from DCA-TOR-HK. Staying at SS selected Shangri-La.

Edited by zqtchas

11 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Unfortunately we fly out at 11:30 tomorrow night, so I think we will miss the fireworks.

Bummer!  You’ll just miss them by a couple of days.  Glad to see the mist has cleared.  And, sorry to read about all of your luggage issues.  We may try the JP way and try to get by in Siem Reap with backpacks only.

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Guess you Bumbles don't know your own strength!

For sure!  But, you should see what we can do with tree toppers!

6 hours ago, Unibok said:

Egad, Stumbles! May you have fair winds and smooth sailing from this point forward.

Thx Unibok!

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Have a lovely time!

Thx Spins!

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

Please say hello to Charles & Elaine from Bob and Victoria.

Will do.  We’re looking forward to meeting them! It’s always nice to meet new folks who have many friends here on CC.

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Personally I am interested in the ‘use of regional cuisine’ as we are in the Med and Mediterranean cuisine tops our foody list, which thinking laterally leads to ask ‘how often does the menu change in La Terrazza?’. When on the  Wind it was every three days but serious rumour is it now a weekly change? 

I will find out for you MBP&O2/O.

Stumblefoot: Don't forget Moon Cakes; only available during major holidays in China.  They come in both savory and dessert versions.  Stands that sell them sell boxes of 4 savory and 4 sweet - I recommend it.  🙂

MBP&O2/O: Silversea (with the possible exception of the expedition ships) only loads comestibles at embark/debark points.  I was *so* disappointed to find out that I wasn't going to be eating king crab when we pulled into Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  Nope, we ate the same food that we had loaded in Tokyo and didn't load any more until Anchorage.  So  the idea of local/regional cuisine is doable if you're cruising the Mediterranean and if your idea of local/regional is, say, Italian, then you're going to be very pleased.  If your idea of local/regional is the idea of the cooks going to a local market to buy food and creating dishes from the town we're tied up in out in the bay, well, not gonna happen.

As to the menu changing in La Terraza, I spent 3 weeks on the Shadow last September and it was still 3 (4?) day menu rotation.  It was quickly enough that I never got tired of the menu.  I ate at La Terraza almost all nights.  La Dame was on a 7-day rotation.

I, too, will be back on the Shadow this summer, for another 2 months (Grand Mediterranean).

Stumblefoot,  breaking a wheel on a suitcase would definitely put George in the doghouse for quite a while.  From the picture, it looks like you are at least partially out.

have a great trip.  I will check in between South America adventures.  I very much like the idea of overnights in your ports.

rpfarris, one of the reasons we prefer Renet over Silverseais that Regent does actually allow the chef to bring on local food and drink and change up the menu depending on location in the world.  I talked to a Silversea chef about this once.  He said they all have to follow the same menu no matter on what ship and no matter where.  They have a little leeway, but not a lot. 

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Stumblefoot, we are having a final cocktail in the 30th floor lounge of the Grand Hyatt before heading off to the airport, and woe, the top of the ICC has disappeared into the low clouds. Sincerely hope you get to see the fireworks tonight.

Apologies, no fireworks tonight, they are in 2 days time on Wednesday night!