Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
HoneymoonCruiser5

Is it really worth it to have a Suite?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

 

 As I think about it, there are a couple of videos that have been posted showing C749. Go to Google/you tube  and I’ll bet you’ll find them. 

Thanks  I will search for it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After look at all the comments... Is a suite worth the extra,,, can only be answered by you....

 

Some peoples like the perks... some do to get extra points for loyalty levels.... some for the cabin.....

and some like the pointy end and status....

 

We travel in an aft suite and love it..... the reason is the position and sometimes find the crowd a bit much... so we can retreat to our cabin... to enjoy the space and relax.... and of port days will have lunch inside or on the balcony..

 

It come down the reason you cruise... some like to see new places every day  ( a river cruise or the Mediterranean is ideal , at sea at night in port everyday ) , so a cabin is somewhere to sleep.

 

 It is like TA trips sea days... we like being on the ship, so the ship and cabin are both very important to us.

 

It is each to his or hers own on this topic......

 

The magic moments waking up stepping onto the balcony to watch the sun rise.... going for a walk round the top deck before breakfast... ( particularly at the crown grill )

 

Cheers Don ( only 20 days til back in a suite ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We like quiet time and the mini-suite is perfect for that. You also get the up-graded bed, which is divine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, milolii said:

 

We Booked one of the 2 WS on the Sky. Do not see any pics either.  I am wondering if the windows are floor to ceiling.  It is hard to tell looking at deck plans and the video.  710 feet is quite large.  

Please post some pictures when you get back.  I can't wait to see how it is laid out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote to reconsider the suite on a port intensive Alaskan cruise.  To provide full disclosure, I've never stayed in a suite, but did have a balcony on our Alaskan cruise.  The excursions are expensive in Alaska, and it is difficult to book them independently since Princess has agreements with some vendors not to offer them unless it is through Princess.  We were able to see lots of scenery from our balcony, but actually preferred to go to the bow of the ship to observe the wildlife and hear the naturalist's commentary.    It is a personal decision based on your cruising style, budget, and preference.  We prefer to spend our money on experiences rather than perks, but then it depends what kind of shipboard experience you want and can afford.  I will predict that you will fall in love with Alaska!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We love the extra room and always book them.  We like our privacy and would rather sit in the sun on our deck rather than 2 inches from some stranger

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, compozer said:

We love the extra room and always book them.  We like our privacy and would rather sit in the sun on our deck rather than 2 inches from some stranger

 

Must say absolutely agree, a suite is like your own private sanctuary, and it is there when ever you want it.

 

Cheers Don.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the process of booking a suite on the Royal Princess.  I haven't seen the VIP Disembarkation mentioned above.  On other cruise lines, we've had a personal escort off of the ship (or at least a group escort from the concierge lounge, so that we could disembark at our leisure).

How does Princess handle the VIP disembarkation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The newer ships have the conceige lounge and that is where you can go the last morning.  There is not enough room for all the cabins and don't even bother going over Christmas.   Everybody and their uncle in suites had five other cabins with relatives and they would invite them all in.  And they passed the suite room key around - kids in there all the time.  I am wondering how it works with the new medallion.   Since the club class started, they allow suite passengers to have breakfast the last day in one of the back dining room.  They have been so good to allow you to bring your luggage in with you.  Mini suite passengers are not allowed - just suites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, compozer said:

The newer ships have the conceige lounge and that is where you can go the last morning.  There is not enough room for all the cabins and don't even bother going over Christmas.   Everybody and their uncle in suites had five other cabins with relatives and they would invite them all in.  And they passed the suite room key around - kids in there all the time.  I am wondering how it works with the new medallion.   Since the club class started, they allow suite passengers to have breakfast the last day in one of the back dining room.  They have been so good to allow you to bring your luggage in with you.  Mini suite passengers are not allowed - just suites.

Hey Sandy, they would not let CC mini suites in there disembarkation day?  :classic_ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Keith,   We really have enjoyed the last day suite breakfast the past 5 cruises.    It is almost empty so either people do not know about it or they leave early.   Very peaceful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

 

I certainly hope not. With no furniture on the balcony it would be a mighty lonely and empty space. 

 

 The penthouse balcony has two very comfortable loungers, a large round table and four chairs. 

This is one of the main reasons we book a suite.

 

 Will be on the Grand this time next week and will advise if anything has changed. 

Thanks, will look forward to your update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith, 

I may not have been clear.  We have done this the past five cruises on the Caribbean Princess.  It is breakfast on the last morning just for suite passengers.  It is on the starboard side  of the Palm dining room.   I don't think there is any special food offered and I have seen other people eating on the other part of the restaurant.  I think the confusion is when I said this breakfast started when club class dining started.   It is not listed under full suite perks.  I believe the head waiter in club class was the one who first told us about it.

As usual, the waiters were so nice - took our carry ons as soon as we walked in and set them in  a space close to us.  Very relaxing last experience on the ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, compozer said:

The newer ships have the conceige lounge and that is where you can go the last morning.  There is not enough room for all the cabins and don't even bother going over Christmas.   Everybody and their uncle in suites had five other cabins with relatives and they would invite them all in.  And they passed the suite room key around - kids in there all the time.  I am wondering how it works with the new medallion.   Since the club class started, they allow suite passengers to have breakfast the last day in one of the back dining room.  They have been so good to allow you to bring your luggage in with you.  Mini suite passengers are not allowed - just suites.

Was wondering about the actual disembarkation.   When we were on Royal Caribbean in December, the concierge asked us what time we wanted to disembark.  Then we went to the lounge the last morning, and they escorted us off the ship on dedicated elevators, and then walked off past all the lines.  Same cruise line a couple years ago we were in a "Star Class" suite.  Our Genie came to our room on the final morning with a porter and escorted us and our luggage right off the ship and up to customs.  Was wondering if Princess does the same type of thing, it was an awesome perk!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

Was wondering about the actual disembarkation.   When we were on Royal Caribbean in December, the concierge asked us what time we wanted to disembark.  Then we went to the lounge the last morning, and they escorted us off the ship on dedicated elevators, and then walked off past all the lines.  Same cruise line a couple years ago we were in a "Star Class" suite.  Our Genie came to our room on the final morning with a porter and escorted us and our luggage right off the ship and up to customs.  Was wondering if Princess does the same type of thing, it was an awesome perk!

 

Princess doesn't do anything that elaborate. As far as I know you get priority in choosing your disembark time and go to a lounge with coffee, juice and pastry. Last 3-4 cruises we were in a suite and chose the latest time. We waited in one of the dining rooms.

You had a "genie"?! Wow! I sure wish we had dedicated elevators because even leaving your cabin early it has been a madhouse! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

Was wondering about the actual disembarkation.   When we were on Royal Caribbean in December, the concierge asked us what time we wanted to disembark.  Then we went to the lounge the last morning, and they escorted us off the ship on dedicated elevators, and then walked off past all the lines.  Same cruise line a couple years ago we were in a "Star Class" suite.  Our Genie came to our room on the final morning with a porter and escorted us and our luggage right off the ship and up to customs.  Was wondering if Princess does the same type of thing, it was an awesome perk!

 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 8:58 AM, mamaboss said:

We have been in suites for the last 2-3 cruises due to accepting upsells. Now I am spoiled! I wouldnt pay regular price though. In a couple weeks we will be in a suite, aft on the promenade deck, Island Princess. When I tried to book an accessible mini suite they offered this suite at same price so I took it. I have not heard anything good or found any pics of this suite since I booked it. I will be posting my opinion with pics. For me it is the space I love most.

Do the balcony doors open wide enough in the accessible suite for a wheelchair.  Also, is there a ramp onto the balcony?  I ask because last year we were going to book the accessible suite on the Island and were told by the access dept that the Island Princess accessible suites won't actually accommodate a wheelchair because the balcony would not open far enough for a wheelchair to go through.  They also said there was no ramp.  The ramp could be supplied, but if the doors don't open wide enough (design or installation defect) fpr a wheelchair to go through then it wouldn't matter.  So we didn't book it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Do the balcony doors open wide enough in the accessible suite for a wheelchair.  Also, is there a ramp onto the balcony?  I ask because last year we were going to book the accessible suite on the Island and were told by the access dept that the Island Princess accessible suites won't actually accommodate a wheelchair because the balcony would not open far enough for a wheelchair to go through.  They also said there was no ramp.  The ramp could be supplied, but if the doors don't open wide enough (design or installation defect) fpr a wheelchair to go through then it wouldn't matter.  So we didn't book it.

It does say in the description of the promenade accessible suites there is not a access to the balcony for wheelchairs. I don't know about the other suites on island. Fortunately my mother can walk a few steps if she has something to hang on to. She could go out there if I put the balcony chair close to the door. If the seas are a bit rough she won't be able to use it without my help. As I said earlier, I will definitely be taking photos of the suite because you just can't find any photos anywhere on either of the promenade deck suites they added during the refit. Stay tuned! I board in 12 days, lol.🌞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Have a great time on your cruise!  I would be interested in photos, but more interested in knowing the particulars about the balcony.  Please let us know whether the balcony door would open enough to allow a wheelchair to go through.  My email is kacruiser@sbcglobal.net.

 

Someone once posted that they had some relatives on the Island Princess in one of the accessible suites and that after complaining about the balcony opening being insufficient for the wheelchair to go through, someone from the ship did something to the opening to widen it (such as removing a stop or something).  I posted and ask them to obtain more information about this (which suite number and exactly what was done and verify a wheelchair could go through the opening) but they never posted back.  We would have booked the Island Princess if the accessible suite did have balcony access (otherwise it is just a big window), but if we can't go out on the balcony, we aren't interested.  Frankly, it is ridiculous that Princess would add a wheelchair accessible suite but neglect to put the correct type of balcony door on it (one that would accommodate a wheelchair) so that it is not fully accessible.   So I hope that the balcony doors have been corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, montgomeryfamily said:

 

Have a great time on your cruise!  I would be interested in photos, but more interested in knowing the particulars about the balcony.  Please let us know whether the balcony door would open enough to allow a wheelchair to go through.  My email is kacruiser@sbcglobal.net.

 

Someone once posted that they had some relatives on the Island Princess in one of the accessible suites and that after complaining about the balcony opening being insufficient for the wheelchair to go through, someone from the ship did something to the opening to widen it (such as removing a stop or something).  I posted and ask them to obtain more information about this (which suite number and exactly what was done and verify a wheelchair could go through the opening) but they never posted back.  We would have booked the Island Princess if the accessible suite did have balcony access (otherwise it is just a big window), but if we can't go out on the balcony, we aren't interested.  Frankly, it is ridiculous that Princess would add a wheelchair accessible suite but neglect to put the correct type of balcony door on it (one that would accommodate a wheelchair) so that it is not fully accessible.   So I hope that the balcony doors have been corrected.

I will check out. My brother brings a teeny tape measure so I will measure it. If what I have been reading is true, you cannot use these balconies when going though the locks due to a safety issue. I will not be happy about that. Also heard that the cabin is extremely noisy,  not like like other aft balconies. I did receive quite a discount to book it so I won't complain. I'll check back after I board.

Edited by mamaboss
Add text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to your report!  I hope that you have a great cruise!

 

I don't know about those balcony cabins on the Island Princess.  But when we went through the Panama Canal locks on the Dawn Princess, we could go out onto the balcony when it was going through the locks.  That was a long time ago and things may have changed since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 8:58 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I love the same things that everyone else has mentioned. I didn’t see the free same day laundry perk mentioned yet. We always put out our laundry by 8:30 and our steward has it back by dinner. My husband also sends his shoes out on the first full day on board to be polished for free  and again they are back by dinner. 

 

Also there are no chair hogs on your deck. You have your own padded lounger at all times. Much nicer than the loungers around the pools. Only the Sanctuary loungers are nicer. 

 

We save all the MDR lunch and dinner menus as a memory of our cruise. Be sure to ask your steward to deliver them the night before for the following day. On a 10 day cruise we will order MDR dinner usually 2-3 times and MDR lunch 3-4 times. We love going either to Sabatini’s or CC for breakfast, which ever is being run the best on that particular cruise. 

 

Whether all of this is worth it to someone is extremely individual. For us I will usually book a suite if the initial booking is less than $500 per person per day. Then I watch sales and check prices and keep rebooking until final payment. I almost always get the final price down to something less than $400 pp/pd. For example this May our 14 day b2b voyage of the glaciers in an aft vista suite is $385 pp/pd including EZ air, grats, taxes, port fees. We also have $1200 Total OBC to purchase cocktails and wine. 

 

Having a private spacious sanctuary when the public areas get to be a bit too much is really worth it to us. Sometimes we like the music, the talking, the social interactions and all that but there’s nothing like an afternoon nap on your own padded lounger on your private deck listening to sound of the wake 

How did you accumulate so much OBC???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...