HAL banana plantation excursion at Limon, Costa Rica--anybody been?

flagmom

Has anyone been on the HAL excursion called "Coastal Highlights and Banana Plantation?" The reviews on the HAL website are very mixed, and the most recent was over a year ago. Was hoping someone on here would have some more recent information on this tour, or comments on the possibility of visiting a banana plantation from the port at Limon. Thanks for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time we did the tour to the Tayutic Hacienda.  It's a long drive but we found it very relaxing and interesting.  This tour is about 8 hours.  Of course, we came back 45 minutes late but since we were on the ship's tour we didn't worry.  The second time we did the tour of the Tortuguero Canals.  That one is about a 4 hour tour.  Again, it was a relaxing and lovely day out on the canals and we actually did see quite a bit of wildlife.  Whatever you choose have a wonderful time.

Helen

We did this last year in April.  Of all the excursions I have ever taken, I found this to be one of the best.  Truly made me appreciate the lowly banana. Certainly a very labor intensive crop.  The man at the plantation was very easy to understand and gave excellent descriptions of how the crop is grown.  I would do it again.

We took the tour a year ago and disliked it.  You sit outside in the jungle with mosquitos on plastic chairs

to listen to someone talk about bananas.  They take you into the packing house where you must first step on  chemicals to enter.  The ride was not very scenic. 

Edited by cher1
spelling error