Parasailing: Book through cruise line (Carnival) or directly?

mferris77

Hi all - looking for feedback regarding parasailing in St.Thomas.

We'll be visiting in August.  Carnival offers a 'parasailing adventure' which costs $99 per person and takes you as high as '400 feet'.  It doesn't say *where* the parasailing happens, how long you're in the air, or who the operating company is.

I searched for parasailing in STT and 'virgin islands parasailing' seems to be the popular choice.  They do pickups from Havensight or from their home base at Sapphire Beach.  Their price is $90 per person, with $5 off for booking online, and say they take you to 600 feet, with 10-12 minutes 'air time'.

I'm not really sure which way to go - does VI Parasailing operate the excursion for Carnival in STT?  Anyone have an idea how much a taxi would cost to get to Sapphire Beach?  Looking at videos online, it seems like the Sapphire Beach location is much nicer - you're parasailing between the islands of St. Thomas and St. John.  If you leave from Havensight I imagine you're just hanging off the southern coast.  

If anyone has done parasailing either with their cruiseline or with a parasail company directly, any details you could share would be appreciated!

I would go with the group at Sapphire Beach.  We parasailed from Red Hook a couple of years ago. The views of St. Thomas and St. John were incredible!  Since Sapphire is right by Red Hook, I'm sure the views would be very similar.  Plus, after parasailing you could hang out on Sapphire Beach, which is beautiful.  I think cab fare is about $10 per person each way-- I may be wrong, but I believe that is correct.