Costa Versus MSC, Opinions?

PaulInPGH

Greetings. After five straight NCL cruises, we're looking at doing something different. We're planning on heading back to the Med, hopefully this coming October, and I'm currently weighing options. While there are certainly options on lines like NCL or Royal, we're considering doing something a bit different, which has led us to look at both MSC and Costa.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's experienced both lines and could give us an idea of the pros and cons of each. Where are the two lines similar, and where are they different? If you had the option, which would you cruise and why?

Really, anything you'd like to share would be appreciated. I'm posting this in both the Costa and MSC boards to get info from both perspectives. Your feedback is much appreciated!

Costa is more my vibe. Can't really explain it as they are both European style cruise companies.  I have done long repositioning cruises with both.

MSC used to match status from other cruise lines and if they still do that could bring substantial discount on certain cruise itineraries and OBC. 

I too have sailed on most of the other lines now and between MSC and Costa, I also prefer the "vibe" on the Costa ships.  There just seems to be more happening in terms of activities/music/dancing/crew & passenger "satisfaction"! 

As another poster stated, there is embarkation in most of the ports for both MSC and Costa.  If I were you, I would book a 3 nighter with MSC.  I would then "jump ship" and embark on of the Costa ships for 3 or 4 nights.  (We have done this several times).  You then don't have to decide on one proposition and get the best of both worlds!!  

I obviously don't know your budget/cabin requirements but if you have two weeks free - then one week on an MSC ship (inside fantastica) and a week with Costa (for 2 adults and 1 child in my case) in an inside classica (inc alcoholic mealtime drinks);  this option often works out a lot more affordable than say NCL or Princess.  You also get to see a more variety of European ports in one hit.  In terms of port, Barcelona (Spain) or Genoa (Italy) are easy  to and fro.  I don't know what the other posters think, but Rome (Civitavecchia)and Marseilles are more of a hassle - in my opinion.  Having a quick look on line, my choice for MSC would be the Belissima (the newest ship with the amazing LED ceiling/cirque du soleil) and any of the Costa ships preferably the new Costa Smeralda if you are able to make the dates work for you.

Hope this is helpful!!

I wouldn’t even send a container with MSC! Done MSC once and from handing back the wrong cruise card (my door didn’t open, am I at the right door? No, not even on the right deck and since when is my name Anastasia?) over dirty plates in the buffet (“so what” was the reaction from the staff) up to really dangerous situation by pressing more and more people into the already overly full atrium, where people already were unable to stand. It would have been sufficient that one got in panic. I am no anxious person, but in my job I need to pay attention to escape routes and know what mustn’t happen in any time. In that case I did what I never did before: I looked where to escape to in case of an eventuality and especially where no masses of people would follow. MSC? Never again!

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2019 at 9:04 AM, jerseyflyer said:

Costa is more my vibe. Can't really explain it as they are both European style cruise companies.  I have done long repositioning cruises with both.

MSC used to match status from other cruise lines and if they still do that could bring substantial discount on certain cruise itineraries and OBC. 

MSC still does the status match.  When I contacted Costa to find my level, Costa had no idea who I was. I've done several longer cruises with them but because of family obligations have not been able to cruise for about 3 years.  They deleted me.  I wasn't asking for my status to be reinstated, just what level I had attained in the past. Impossible, apparently. 

MSC matched my Carnival Gold to MSC Silver.  That gave me 5% off (refunded, retroactively after the status match). I also get 50 euros OBC. There's some intangibles, but meh. The match is marketing genius.  MSC is going after the American market and playing for keeps.  I booked a rock-bottom priced inside gty (a few weeks before sailing) and was upgraded to a balcony.  

I leave on MSC Divina's transatlantic 3/14.  I seriously considered Deliziosa's TA but couldn't get a reasonable airfare worked out on such short notice. I noticed major differences in the length/arrival of port times. Costa's were pretty short. MSC we have overnights in NYC, Bermuda, Ponte Delgada and Lisbon.

I had also read about some cutbacks on Costa that concerned me (no turndown, hot food on buffet, etc.) 

I will probably go with Costa again. I've done some really great itineraries with them.  I'll come back and update this after the cruise.  

Our last cruise was in the Mediterranean aboard the MSC Meraviglia. In a nutshell, it was a fantastic cruise and it easily ranks as one of the best cruises I’ve taken in my 38 years of cruising. The ship was beautiful, tastefully decorated, and modern. My wife and I said that we haven’t been this wowed with a brand new ship since we sailed on the Allure of the Seas during her inaugural season. 

Service and cuisine have both vastly improved since our previous MSC Cruise (aboard the Divina in 2016). We also chose a stateroom with the Aurea Experience which included an unlimited drink package, free massages, unlimited access to the thermal area at the spa, access to a private solarium deck, a reserved area in the MDR with open seating, and priority embarkation. Overall we considered the Aurea experience to be well worth the up charge.

We sailed from Civitavecchia, and as someone mentioned before, passengers embark and disembark at each port which I thought would be a cluster. But MSC handled everything beautifully at every port. I was truly impressed at how flawlessly everything seemed to flow, specially considering that everything is done in 6-7 different languages. Our embarkation and disembarkation in Civitavecchia has been one of the fastest and most efficient we have ever experienced on any cruise line. Wonderful job.

I have a full review in the member reviews section if you’re interested in a more detailed account of our experience. Feel free to ask questions!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=640575

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have done MSC Inside Yacht Club and would recommend this: as you have a private dining room, comped premium drink package, private lounge & pool deck/buffet, and full butler service, for each room.

Edited by gkbiiii

• 1 month later...

I have done both MSC and more recently Costa - MSC has got dearer and costa cheaper 😉 so we switched last year to Costa as a more affordable alternative for a long holiday. We holiday a minimum of 4 weeks because from Australia the airfares add to the cost so you might as well make it worthwhile.  I prefer MSC and have done 10 cruises with them.  I had my first Costa cruise last year and second one booked this year.  I didnt get the "perks" I get on MSC when booking a suite.  The things I missed were private sun deck for suite guests (you have to pay extra on Costa each time you visit) I missed a dedicated restaurant.  On costa we ate in what was a converted corridor on the way to the main dining room ( I did not enjoy that at all) so we paid extra for the restaurant dining which was good.  On MSc you get access to the spa for the entire cruise and a free massage.  On Costa you get one day spa visit which was a dead loss on my cruise as the pool and hot tubs were out of commission for the entire cruise. The Costa ship seemed dated in comparision to the glitz you get on MSC even if they are old they are still very stylish.  Drink package about the same, buffet much more options on MSC.  Entertainment better on MSC.  We book for the itinerary and would sail with anyone if the price is right.  MSC have become much more expensive and I got a really good deal with Costa so price is best with Costa.

Edited by Janet&Carl
adding extra info

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 5:37 AM, SeaTheW0rld said:

MSC still does the status match.  When I contacted Costa to find my level, Costa had no idea who I was. I've done several longer cruises with them but because of family obligations have not been able to cruise for about 3 years.  They deleted me.  I wasn't asking for my status to be reinstated, just what level I had attained in the past. Impossible, apparently. 

MSC matched my Carnival Gold to MSC Silver.  That gave me 5% off (refunded, retroactively after the status match). I also get 50 euros OBC. There's some intangibles, but meh. The match is marketing genius.  MSC is going after the American market and playing for keeps.  I booked a rock-bottom priced inside gty (a few weeks before sailing) and was upgraded to a balcony.  

I leave on MSC Divina's transatlantic 3/14.  I seriously considered Deliziosa's TA but couldn't get a reasonable airfare worked out on such short notice. I noticed major differences in the length/arrival of port times. Costa's were pretty short. MSC we have overnights in NYC, Bermuda, Ponte Delgada and Lisbon.

I had also read about some cutbacks on Costa that concerned me (no turndown, hot food on buffet, etc.) 

I will probably go with Costa again. I've done some really great itineraries with them.  I'll come back and update this after the cruise. 

I also didn't  like it when Costa deleted past cruises...especially when my first cruise was on the Costa Carla in 1962...and we had been taking cruises sometimes 2 a year...then we went to another line for a few  years and the...we disappeared in Costas ' eyes....sure we can show them all of our back cards to prove it...oh really 😲 I asked if I could show pictures of my kids on the different cruises while growing up.....that didn't work. 

Msc does the same...you lose your status if you miss a few years...