No Wellwishers beer or liquor delivery...

countercast

Q.How many hotels allow patrons to bring their own liquor to their room ??

A. ALL of them

thats the answer to the "why"

BK

You have a problem with the policy choose another cruise line. Keep in mind all the mass market lines have the same policy. Most don't even offer the bar setup. Carnival even wants tor restrict the amount of soft drinks you bring onboard

We all have choices,

Strange:confused: Wellwishers charges the same or more what am I missing. Perhaps you think the cruise lines and Wellwishers are not in business to make a profit.

Its normal in business practice to mark up the wholesale price by up to 100% for retail. That would make a $ 3.00 bottle of liquor retail for about $ 6.00 Therein is the profit.

While the majority of states do charge a tax on liquor , the cruise lines don't pay it as they're going to be selling the product "offshore" hence the sale prices of 'duty free' liquor.

Now selling the bottle aboard ship at $ 40-55 makes it a 1300 % markup.

I'd argue that is substantially more than simply making a profit..its outright gouging of the consumer

BK

BTW, the last time I sailed on Carnival, they sold Duty Free liquor onboard, for consumption in one's suite for $ 8.00 a bottle. I guess they figured 200% was ample profit.

Costs about $3.00? :confused: Sure, NCL is making a profit on the bar setup, but let's be reasonable here. The offerings are all branded, and I don't care how big a business is - they're not paying $3.00 a bottle for any branded liquor.

A former co-worker that now works for a liquor wholesaler/importer advises me that most standard brands of liquor come out the door of the distiller for under $ 4.00/bottle.

Taxes and profit make up the resulting price and since ships going offshore don't pay the taxes...

Again..a markup in excess of 1000% isn't being, as you say, ' reasonable'

BK

BK where re you getting some of your facts from! I have never walked into any liquor store and got any booze for $3! Here in Canada you may get a shot for a bit more then that! Yes when I was 19 and started cruising I coudl go to the duty free and get a bottle to take back to my Cabin and have a few drinks while I got ready. BUt things have changed on the years. I was on RCCL a few years ago and they would let you buy a bottle then pay a fee and take it to your room! I hear they do not offer that service anymore! You say NCL wont let you bring coke on board?? Since when?????????????

BK where re you getting some of your facts from! I have never walked into any liquor store and got any booze for $3!

Thats not my problem. It still remains that liquor " out the door" at the producer level before taxes is still under $ 4.00 a bottle.

You say NCL wont let you bring coke on board?? Since when?????????????

No idea "since when" but its on the NCL website under 'What Cant I bring aboard': "Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages..." "or beverages" .. that covers soft drinks. I called their 800 number and the clerk confirmed this.

BK

BK where re you getting some of your facts from! I have never walked into any liquor store and got any booze for $3!

BTW, I just got back from Florida where I bought in a local liquor store in a small town, Caribbean produced Rum for under $ 8.00 a bottle retail. I didnt see any large corporations stocking up in there though.

Also, I ve seen liquor in Nevada and Arizona by the US 'half gallon' for under $ 10.00 That includes production, transportation,tax and profit at the wholesale and retail levels.

BK

Really??? I've never in my life taken a bottle of booze to a hotel. I must be a freak.

Pepper,

I take it you never did a CAFEX in Korea? We came out of the field, went to the BX on the Army base in Seoul and stocked up. Most of us checked into the hotel with at least one to two cases of beer and no luggage.:eek:

Dave

While you may be able to bring in a bottle of booze into your hotel room from a local convenience store in Las Vegas, you have to pay for your meals, including room service. Not so on a cruise ship.

So a cruise ship isn't the same as a land based hotel, is it?

While you may be able to bring in a bottle of booze into your hotel room from a local convenience store in Las Vegas, you have to pay for your meals, including room service. Not so on a cruise ship.

So a cruise ship isn't the same as a land based hotel, is it?

And the entertainment:)

BTW, I just got back from Florida where I bought in a local liquor store in a small town, Caribbean produced Rum for under $ 8.00 a bottle retail. I didnt see any large corporations stocking up in there though.

Also, I ve seen liquor in Nevada and Arizona by the US 'half gallon' for under $ 10.00 That includes production, transportation,tax and profit at the wholesale and retail levels.

BK

You can get a half gallon of "rot-gut" vadka and gin for $10.00 in PA. also;)

Which cruise line charges for meals and room service? Not Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, not Princess, not Holland American, not Celebrity, and not NCL.....

If you wish to bootleg booze, do it better.....

Don't blame NCL for enforcing its policies, and for your failure to bootleg booze successfully.....

NCL has every right to make its policies, and you have every right not to choose NCL for a cruise.....

A. ALL of them

BK

How many airlines allow patrons to bring their own liquor onboard?

A. NONE of them.

They're both public conveyances (planes & cruiseships), whereas a hotel is not.

Hubby rarely drinks anything but tonic water---with nothing except maybe some ice.

I don't drink because I'm diabetic.

NCL nor any other line makes $ off us for booze but I can tell you the drinks on the supposedly "uppity" Celebrity Cruise line....are cheaper.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm!

you are as wrong as could be about that: I just got off the Zenith, with the exception of the drink of the day: twice it was Maritis the prices are even higher. The cheapest glass of white wine, with tip, $9.20: scotch $6.25 and up< etc. It appears, all the prices have been raised in the past few months. NCL raised their prices to match some of the other lines, who, in turn, raised theirs again. NMnita

Which cruise line charges for meals and room service? Not Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, not Princess, not Holland American, not Celebrity, and not NCL.....

If you wish to bootleg booze, do it better.....

Don't blame NCL for enforcing its policies, and for your failure to bootleg booze successfully.....

NCL has every right to make its policies, and you have every right not to choose NCL for a cruise.....

Easy Cruise :D

http://www.easycruise.com/faqs/AboutUs.asp?SD=33970730820060121205709

Thats not my problem. It still remains that liquor " out the door" at the producer level before taxes is still under $ 4.00 a bottle.

No idea "since when" but its on the NCL website under 'What Cant I bring aboard': "Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages..." "or beverages" .. that covers soft drinks. I called their 800 number and the clerk confirmed this.

BK

Not the case read the language in the contract. The addition of comma makes all the difference. Nobody has ever reported not being allowed to bring soft drinks onboard an NCL ship.

http://www.ncl.com/more/contract.htm

4. Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature,

As written it indicates intoxicating beverages.

At the end of the day how a cruise line gets our $ is not important but what that total is.

Good point!

Our Spirit 9 day cruise in 2005 cost us more than this year's 11 day Dawn cruise (cruise fare, that is) and we are in a slightly higher category of cabin. In fact, our air to NYC is cheaper than the air to Miami.

Are we concerned with higher booze prices on board? Maybe, but with the cruise fare so affordable we won't worry about it. We will consume as we feel fit to. In the end, this years trip will be on par with last year's trip, and the bottom line, that is what it is all about.

I'm worried that if cruise fares are always going to be this affordable, it may make it harder to book in the future!

Get me and my DW on the ship for a reasonable price at let us choose what we spend our on board dollars on!

BK

I think you certainly read to much into the statement: it means "intoxicating beverages not all beverages. NMnita

A. ALL of them

BK

True, but since anymore a hotel room cost about the same per day as a day on a ship, maybe we ought to demand that they give us meals and entertainment.

If they do, I'll bet they will crack down on the booze you can bring in. A hotel makes their money on the room. A cruise ship doesn't. Like a theatre, a ticket to get in barely pays the bills. It's the concessions that give the profit.

Archived