HONDIUS/CHIMU ADVENTURES

Bigdogwon

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be getting on when you get off ... hope you have a great cruise. Quick question, have you booked your flight from ushuaia yet ... who have you booked with? Seems that AA and Latam have very mixed reviews. 

Edited by EnglishChick

We booked with Aerolineas Argentina, roundtrip from Buenos Aires.  It was the only airline that we could fly after 12:00pm on the day of Disembarkation.  Aerolineas doesn’t have a great reputation either, but most SA carriers do not.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also booked on this trip and it will be the second time to Antarctica.  Last year we did a trip mainly focused on the east side - Wedell sea.  Somewhat unplanned as we got trapped by ice for a week there.  I booked with Argentina air to Trelew and will take a shuttle to Peurto Madryn.  I am flying with Latam from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires.  Hopefully there are no glitches with the flights.  I always leave a cushion when flying small domestic airlines so am arriving in Peurto Madryn 2 days ahead of departure.  

• 2 months later...

Latam is a large SA international & domestic carrier.  Like all things in SA delays are part of life & normal for them.

I was quite impressed with my 3 flights with Latam.

Good news is that Hondius has left the builders yard in Split & is on way to Vlissing - eta 1st June.

Maiden cruise departing on 3rd June for Spitzbergen area.

LATAM-new-livery-2016-800.jpg

Hondius-to sail on time to Vlissingen & dep 3 June 2019.jpg

Hi - yes I will be travelling on the Nov 3 trip and was relieved to monitor the Hondius departure for the inaugural trip in June.   Booking a not yet built ship always comes with a bit of risk.  I am very excited to be on this new ship and also experience the Falklands and SG.  

My friend and I are travelling on this trip together.  We actually met in Antarctica on a Quark Trip last year.  

Amazing!!

On 3/2/2019 at 3:10 AM, satie37 said:

We are also booked on this trip and it will be the second time to Antarctica.  Last year we did a trip mainly focused on the east side - Wedell sea.  Somewhat unplanned as we got trapped by ice for a week there.  I booked with Argentina air to Trelew and will take a shuttle to Peurto Madryn.  I am flying with Latam from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires.  Hopefully there are no glitches with the flights.  I always leave a cushion when flying small domestic airlines so am arriving in Peurto Madryn 2 days ahead of departure.  

Boy - you were lucky.  A week longer trip for no charge.  

DON

Don I wish it had been a week longer for free.  No this was a 3 week trip which included an Antarctica circle crossing.  Spending the extra time on the east slide meant we only had 2 days on the west side before we had to cross the Drake.  So no circle crossing and reduced time on the west side.  

That’s why I am going back but this time with Falklands and SG.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, satie37 said:

Don I wish it had been a week longer for free.  No this was a 3 week trip which included an Antarctica circle crossing.  Spending the extra time on the east slide meant we only had 2 days on the west side before we had to cross the Drake.  So no circle crossing and reduced time on the west side.  

That’s why I am going back but this time with Falklands and SG.  

You will love S. Georgia.  I did an 8 day photo trip there which also included 4 days in the Falklands.  I ticked off the number one trip on my bucket list and it was much much better than I could have imagined.  Hope that you have the great weather that we had.

DON