Dress for Cunard

airugo

I will be doing a transatlantic cruise in April.  It seems people say that you can dress in jeans in the AM  then dress smart casual for tea and finally dress for dinner.  Will I need to change clothes 3 times a day?

Jeans are fine in the day. They are not ok in the evening, unless you’re planning to confine yourself to certain areas of the ship. 

To answer your question: I’ve seen many people wear jeans at the afternoon tea. The Xmas cruise in December had people at afternoon tea dressed in elf outfits and all types of fancy dress. Levi’s were the least thing for dress code enforcers to worry about!!

I tend to change 2, maybe 3 times a day depending on the activities and weather outside. For example, if it’s hot and a sea day I might have shorts/swimwear at the pool, chinos and shirt for afternoon tea and then a suit/dinner suit for dinner depending on that evening’s dress code. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airugo said:

I will be doing a transatlantic cruise in April.  It seems people say that you can dress in jeans in the AM  then dress smart casual for tea and finally dress for dinner.  Will I need to change clothes 3 times a day?

It's not really that a big thing to change a couple of times during the day, when onboard Cunard ( or any premium cruise line)     To be honest common sense should prevail. 

One might be wearing jeans or shorts during the morning which is acceptable, however, one might have booked one of the 'many fee paying activities', for example, 'Lunch & Learn' ( part of the wine academy) this lunch activity is held in the Veranda and the requested dress code is smart casual.

At afternoon tea in the Queens Room, there is signage at the door  (more often when there is a Tea Dance) requesting gents not to wear shorts ( of course you'll always get the occasional  'jack the lad' who has no social graces at all and ignore suggested dress codes)  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, airugo said:

That's only two changes a day.

Unless you count getting dressed in the morning as a change of clothes !!!

• Like 2

On sea days, I would usually wear the nice chino type pants, or capri's if it is warm. This way, I can go all the way through breakfast up to dinner. If there will be pool involved, after breakfast, I will change into a suit and cover up, and then put the same chinos on again for late afternoon. After all, I am not usually rolling in the mud in the AM LOL. With the luggage costs, I would rather not have to bring so many different pants.

just about every cunard cruise i buy a new pair of jeans and take them only for wearing on excursions .On the flip side i do not wear a tux and rarely wear a tie [i keep to "my" area] . Cold weather and after 6 i am in causal/dress pants.......warm weather shorts till six,you will see a few in jeans after 6 .......i am far from a clothes snob and it is rare to see people poorly dressed but it happens imho.........ssssoooo bottom line your nice jeans without a monster truck race tee shirt and ripped sneakers will be ok 

Maybe wear jeans/shorts on a day that you're not planning to go for tea in the Queens Room and have a smart/casual day on those days when you will. (note, that self-service tea is available every afternoon in the Kings Court eating area on deck 7). 

Don't stress too much about the day-time dress code - especially if you are happy to have breakfast and lunch in Kings Court. Shorts are, I think, a no-no for the Britannia restaurant for breakfast and lunch on a TA.

P.S It can get windy outside on deck in mid-Atlantic - so definitely save the shorts for inside.  

• 3 weeks later...

We are new to cruising. Just trying to get our heads around the Cunard daytime dress code and hopefully do the right thing. It looks like swimsuits, bathers are ok around the pool but not elsewhere. What do people usually wear between your cabin and the pool? Afterwards, when you are still damp, how do you get back to your cabin?

2 hours ago, mzungu369 said:

We are new to cruising. Just trying to get our heads around the Cunard daytime dress code and hopefully do the right thing. It looks like swimsuits, bathers are ok around the pool but not elsewhere. What do people usually wear between your cabin and the pool? Afterwards, when you are still damp, how do you get back to your cabin?

You make use of the changing rooms which are in the vicinity of the pool areas if you 'really need to change', otherwise for a male put a pair of shorts on or  a sarong for a lady for walking back to the stateroom.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

Prior to my 1st Cunard cruise in August, I too, was concerned about the dress code. Once I was onboard, I realized it wasn't the least bit difficult to abide by. I, along with many others, wore shorts and t-shirts during the day (including the tea), and changed after 6pm. I changed once a day. I'd brought clothes to do more, but I quickly discovered by observing the other passengers that it wasn't necessary. I also learned that I don't need to bring anywhere near as many clothes on my upcoming cruise in May!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

I just bought some really nice colored jeans for my Baltic cruise in July. They are light, but really nice colors. Burgundy, light coffee, black and camel. They look like pants, but wear like jeans. Now I can go all day without changing!

Sorry but jeans in MDR any night of the cruise is not a good idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

I just bought some really nice colored jeans for my Baltic cruise in July. They are light, but really nice colors. Burgundy, light coffee, black and camel. They look like pants, but wear like jeans. Now I can go all day without changing!

You'll be fine.

"Jeans" are not necessarily "denims". As you know, the word "denim" is an abbreviation for "serge de Nimes" which is only a more rugged form of cottron.

Chino type, which you describe, will be absolutely perfect.

Enjoy your trip!

Stewart 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, rjsretired said:

My husband does not like to wear a tie or a Jacket.  Does this mean that Cunard is not the right ship line for us?

Not necessarily, but you will be restricted as to what parts of the ship you can use in the evenings.

How does your husband keep warm without a jacket?

• Like 1

No need to wear a tie in the main dining rooms on Smart Attire nights:  

Smart Attire:
Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome. 

On a 7 night cruise probably 4/7 night would be Smart Attire.

5 hours ago, rjsretired said:

My husband does not like to wear a tie or a Jacket.  Does this mean that Cunard is not the right ship line for us?

Yo are right there. Not the right cruise line for you and we tried it and it definitely to formal and stuffy for us. Beware!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Yo are right there. Not the right cruise line for you and we tried it and it definitely to formal and stuffy for us. Beware!!

I do think that honest reply, even it it seems a bit brutal, is the best response to these questions. Advice about how to avoid the restrictions: "you can go to A & B, but not to C & D" is not really helpful. I'm sure it can be done, but, especially on formal nights, most people dressed very casually would feel conspicuous. After all, the formality and etiquette that goes with it is the USP of Cunard. To want to avoid it entirely is a bit like saying, Can I go to McDonalds and never eat a burger or fries? You can, but what's the point?

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian
  • Like 5