Dress for Cunard

airugo

26 minutes ago, BiggDawg said:

I really don't understand the conflicts here.

I mean, I get why some people don't want to dress for dinner, sure.  No judgements there.

But, when provided a dress code, why is there so much resistance?

Who would, upon receiving a formal dinner invitation clearly stating "Black Tie" or "Black Tie Optional" accept the invitation, then show up in casual clothing, knowing that the hosts and most attendees will be dressed in black tie, and then complain about the dress code?

There are plenty of more casual lines.  If the dress code is such an issue, why not choose one of them instead?  I opted for Cunard because of its history and tradition.  Specifically.  No way will I then insult the style of my hosts by dressing inappropriately and complaining about the dress code.  Who would do that aside from a sociopath?

My first cruise, in the 80's, was on Carnival.  Even there they had a "Gala night," where "Black tie optional" was the dress, and at least one other in a 7-day cruise where jackets were requested.  I'm not sure that Carnival still does that.  We have dumbed down the dress code so many places in our civilization, do we need to lower the standards everywhere?  Brand distinctions allow for some brands that are casual, and some that are less so, and passengers can "vote with their dollars (Pounds, Euros, Yen...)."  If people don't like the more formal dress code then Cunard won't be successful, but they are specifically because some of us still like the old world service and style, and are willing to pay for it.

I agree totally.  To a degree, Cunard has dumbed down the dress standards over the years. On our many crossings on the QE2 a jacket and tie was required on all nights, including the first and last. On our first crossing on the QM2 - six nights as it was then - there were four formal nights.  I am, however, pleased that they still have three.

For our Alaska cruise next month there are only two gala nights out of ten, a ratio as low as I have ever seen on Cunard. When I wrote to Cunard to complain about this the reply said that passengers could dress as well as they want on any night. There is one "sea day" designated as smart attire, so one of our friends and I may wear DJs that night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BiggDawg said:

I really don't understand the conflicts here.

I mean, I get why some people don't want to dress for dinner, sure.  No judgements there.

But, when provided a dress code, why is there so much resistance?

Who would, upon receiving a formal dinner invitation clearly stating "Black Tie" or "Black Tie Optional" accept the invitation, then show up in casual clothing, knowing that the hosts and most attendees will be dressed in black tie, and then complain about the dress code?

There are plenty of more casual lines.  If the dress code is such an issue, why not choose one of them instead?  I opted for Cunard because of its history and tradition.  Specifically.  No way will I then insult the style of my hosts by dressing inappropriately and complaining about the dress code.  Who would do that aside from a sociopath?

My first cruise, in the 80's, was on Carnival.  Even there they had a "Gala night," where "Black tie optional" was the dress, and at least one other in a 7-day cruise where jackets were requested.  I'm not sure that Carnival still does that.  We have dumbed down the dress code so many places in our civilization, do we need to lower the standards everywhere?  Brand distinctions allow for some brands that are casual, and some that are less so, and passengers can "vote with their dollars (Pounds, Euros, Yen...)."  If people don't like the more formal dress code then Cunard won't be successful, but they are specifically because some of us still like the old world service and style, and are willing to pay for it.

100% Correct.  🍷🥃

17 hours ago, Se1lad said:

Not disrespectful as the theme nights are optional:  

Cunard Theme Nights and Suggested Attire

Participation is optional, you are not required to follow the theme dress in the same way you are required to follow the dress code of the evening (i.e. formal / informal) 

As I  stated in my post, I am quite aware that there is no rule against wearing any color you wish on a formal/Gala evening.   However, it is still my opinion (IMO) that wearing a brightly colored outfit on the ballroom floor on B&W Ball night is of questionable taste (if "disrespectful" is too strong a word for some people).   

B&W should be one of easiest for a lady dancer, since I've never met a knowledgeable ballroom style dancer that didn't have at least one little black dress.   While I'm sure some (if not many:classic_rolleyes:) disagree with my opinion,  just because you can do something does not necessarily mean that you should.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, orvil said:

Call me a rebel.  I love to dress for dinner.  But on the night of the Black and White ball, I wore bright red chiffon.  It was fun amongst all those beautifully black and white clad people in the ballroom.  Someone had to make a statement.  

I'm sure you looked absolutely stunning. Would love to have been there. Cheers, Orvil.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 2:57 PM, orvil said:

Call me a rebel.  I love to dress for dinner.  But on the night of the Black and White ball, I wore bright red chiffon.  It was fun amongst all those beautifully black and white clad people in the ballroom.  Someone had to make a statement.  

You must have looked amazing, sir.  The British are renowned for having eccentricities and I am wondering if you are British and am intrigued, were you ever an officer in the Grenadier Guards at all?

Regards John

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, john watson said:

You must have looked amazing, sir.  The British are renowned for having eccentricities and I am wondering if you are British and am intrigued, were you ever an officer in the Grenadier Guards at all?

Regards John

This reminds me of a story my dad told me.

My dad was colour blind, and shortly after the war, he bought what he believed were a pair of brown trousers.

He really liked these trousers and wore them as often as possible if he was going out for the evening.

It wasn't until several months later, when some one asked him why he was wearing bright red trousers, he realised that he was wearing the dress uniform trousers of the 11th Hussars!  That must have been quite a sight in grey post-WW2 London!

private-11th-hussars-1848-print-of-prince-alberts-own-who-rode-in-B0RRDX.jpg

• Like 2

Sort of off topic.....each ship has its own temperature, some run hot, others are wrap worthy. What is your experience on QM2?

Britannia dining,  theater, library?

Ann 

2 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Sort of off topic.....each ship has its own temperature, some run hot, others are wrap worthy. What is your experience on QM2?

Ann 

I tend to run "chilly" and carry a cardigan or wrap here in Florida for air conditioned areas. I never needed one on the QM2. We travelled in August. The temperature was comfortable everywhere. I was comfortable in short sleeve cotton tops. In the evenings I wore a pashmina, mostly as an accessory, not as a wrap for warmth. I did get warm on the dance floor, but we danced several hours a night in dressy clothes.

2 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Ann 

Hi Ann,

I personally find the Commodore Club, Britannia Restaurant and bars all get warm in the evening just down to the sheer number of people in a relatively confined space. The theatre and G32 the same.

I don’t recall any major variations in temperature throughout the ship during the day though. 

During my QE Xmas cruise in December 2018, I found the room very warm at night and had to wedge the balcony door open at one point. I’m not sure the thermostat was working well and, yes I should probably have called the steward (albeit it was late, I was tired, it was poor weather and I was sharing the room with someone that liked it warm anyway!) 

Perhaps best to layer for the first couple of days if you can. 

Thank you! 

Once while sailing on a themed music cruise chartered on Celebrity, the crew handed out plaid blankets in the theater.  Probably not an acceptable fashion statement, however we were freezing and appreciated the gesture.  The temperature varied daily throughout the ship. I’ve noticed the same on most ships, however not to that extreme.

Good to know about QM2. 

Ann

The temperatures vary from room to room and voyage to voyage, but I have rarely been uncomfortable. I prefer it to be a little cool than too warm. Only on one crossing in the month of October did we find one location ridiculously hot; that was the Royal Court Theatre. On most voyages there is little going on there that appeals to me, but there were some talks, RADA and the occasional classical concert I sweated through.

I have never found any of the four main restaurants to be uncomfortable.

To add to the conversation of “What Not ToWear” ; those of us who are labeled as “artsy” would definitely make a statement on their choice of clothing color. Not to offend to but to enjoy the event in their own way.  Regardless of Cunards dress code surely if Canard wants my dollar, accepting any color of the rainbow among the traditional is o.k..

I chose Cunard for the World Itinerary not for Cunard's multiple parties. Carnival owns Cunard and other lines, parties are part of the fun for all lines while crossing the ocean. The difference between Cunard IMHO are those guest who are not open to others taste.

Americans respect money, others the distinction of class, while still others the educated, but we all enjoy friendly, caring guest, regardless of their kilts or Sgt. Pepper outfit. 

Ann

I agree with the last post. It is not what color a person is wearing, but what is in the heart that makes him/her an interesting individual. How can the color of a dress or suit "insult" anyone? If I want to view the dancing and am wearing a purple dress instead of black and white, so be it. Who amongst us can throw that first stone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

I agree with the last post. It is not what color a person is wearing, but what is in the heart that makes him/her an interesting individual. How can the color of a dress or suit "insult" anyone? If I want to view the dancing and am wearing a purple dress instead of black and white, so be it. Who amongst us can throw that first stone?

I don't believe anyone would ever object to you or anyone else viewing the Queens Room dancing in any color your heart desires.    However, unlike the other (Ballroom) themes or "Balls", that do not actually specify a color in the title, the "Black and White Ball" is pretty specific about the color expected to be worn on the ballroom dance floor.   My experience on QM2 crossings has been that the overwhelming majority of dancers follow Cunard tradition and dress accordingly.   

Edited by BobBranst

I really have zero interest in clothes, though always try and adhere to the dress code, but my first thought about someone who wore bright red on the black and white night would be to wonder why they were so keen to attract attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobBranst said:

However, unlike the other (Ballroom) themes or "Balls", that do not actually specify a color in the title, the "Black and White Ball" is pretty specific about the color expected to be worn on the ballroom dance floor.  

The Cunard website says the theme nights are optional so in my opinion it’s fine for people to wear what they like (so long as it is within the formal dress code) for the balls - regardless of if they are dancing or not.  

I would see this in the same way that for the Smart Attire night a tie is optional for gents and it’s not disrespectful or bending the rules if someone chooses not to wear one .

• Like 2

That's right. It is optional. If someone wants to be the center of attention and wear a red dress, then they can. Nothing stays the same forever, and the traditions on some of these ships are bound to change as a younger generation become the passengers Cunard will market to. It is already beginning to happen, whether we like it or not.

Yes, you can wear what you want within the very general Cunard formal dress "code".    No doubt that some would interpret that as justification for wearing just about anything their mind can conceive.   I don't see anything in the code against ladies wearing bright florescence green or neon red dress with bright flashing lights in August, therefore it must be fine, even if it is not within the realm of reasonably good taste.   Just because you can do something, that doesn't necessarily mean you should.  

I have been seeing the oft repeated line here about how Cunard has to change because of a younger generation for years, but on the ship, the great majority remains over age 60.   Many, if not most long time repeat Cunard customers would likely leave Cunard if their ships were to become no different than all the other lines.    Carnival is smart enough to know the truth in the old saying:  "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Watch Out - Like it or not, the younger generations are getting older too and people's likes and dislikes frequently change as they get older.

• Like 1

Re wearing colours on black and white night.

Maybe it’s someone who is new to Cunard and didn’t realise the significance of the ‘Black & White Ball’?

They might be feeling really conspicuous and awkward in their red or green dress, but don’t have anything else to wear. They’d feel even more embarrassed if they realised people were talking behind their hands about them and calling them attention seekers or disrespectful.

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Re wearing colours on black and white night.

Maybe it’s someone who is new to Cunard and didn’t realise the significance of the ‘Black & White Ball’?

They might be feeling really conspicuous and awkward in their red or green dress, but don’t have anything else to wear. They’d feel even more embarrassed if they realised people were talking behind their hands about them and calling them attention seekers or disrespectful.

The opinions expressed here are the opinions of a few.

I spend a lot of time, cruising the waves with Cunard and it wouldn't occur to me to sneer at or be disrespectful of anyone, especially anyone who has dressed up on any night, never mind a Gala night. If the attire doesn't happen to follow a colour chart [OK, black and white aren't colours] guide, it has no impact on my enjoyment whatsoever. It doesn't happen very often at the B&W ball as I would have noticed, and I haven't.

I would hope most of the onboard passengers would think the same.

21 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

A nice warm and fuzzy expression of tolerance:  of course it is “what is in the heart” that truly matters.  

But doesn’t deciding to ignore a requested standard to satisfy ones own preference, while ignoring those who are most likely there in the first place because of that requested standard, say something about “what is in the heart” of the purple dress wearer?

I personally like it when everyone makes an effort with the theme. It is part of what makes Cunard special and adds to a sense of community and collective fun.

That said, people of course do and should have flexibility provided they are within the wider gala night dress code. I’ve personally been really keen on some themes and a lot less keen on others! In the latter case, it’s been more about what I’m comfortable with rather than a decision to break the rules or draw attention to myself. 

I think the important thing is to focus on yourself and not what others are doing. It is your trip. That is both in terms of what you want to wear and what you feel comfortable with. 

It is apparent that there are always going to be some who do not place much importance or value in the long standing traditions on the Cunard line.   The fortunate thing is that as Victoria2 said:   "It doesn't happen very often at the B&W ball as I would have noticed, and I haven't."

However, It's hard to ignore those who go out of  their way to be noticed, so we will  just have to hope that they select different cruises or crossings than the ones we select.