Dress for Cunard

airugo

17 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Per the guidelines, a tuxedo or dark suit (with tie) is expected in most of the ship on "Gala" nights.

It's unusual for the ship's staff to approach people to remind them of the dress code.

It happened on the QE last autumn; no jacket, no entry to the MDR. 

Stuart

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tonopah said:

On our crossing in August, 2018, gentlemen were reminded of the expected dress requirements at the theatre, Commodore Club, and Queen’s Room. 

On our last crossing, a casually dressed gentleman who had been in the Chart room prior to 6pm was told that he could no longer be served due to the dress requirements.  

On 5/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, Underwatr said:

Per the guidelines, a tuxedo or dark suit (with tie) is expected in most of the ship on "Gala" nights.

It's unusual for the ship's staff to approach people to remind them of the dress code.

This is because the vast majority of Cunard passengers have a sense of occasion and arrive appropriately dressed.

Regards John

• Like 1

On my TA last year they appeared to enforce the dress code on formal nights until after the second theatre show had finished - it then appeared to be relaxed slightly - e.g. they didn’t seem bothered if the gents took their ties off in the Bars etc.

also it looked like the dress code didn’t apply in G32, there were a few people casually dressed in there.

Felt like a reasonable compromise to me.

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

On my TA last year they appeared to enforce the dress code on formal nights until after the second theatre show had finished - it then appeared to be relaxed slightly - e.g. they didn’t seem bothered if the gents took their ties off in the Bars etc.

also it looked like the dress code didn’t apply in G32, there were a few people casually dressed in there.

Felt like a reasonable compromise to me.

I think G32 is one of the locations that's OK for casual dress.

Call me a rebel.  I love to dress for dinner.  But on the night of the Black and White ball, I wore bright red chiffon.  It was fun amongst all those beautifully black and white clad people in the ballroom.  Someone had to make a statement.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, orvil said:

Call me a rebel.  I love to dress for dinner.  But on the night of the Black and White ball, I wore bright red chiffon.  It was fun amongst all those beautifully black and white clad people in the ballroom.  Someone had to make a statement.  

I doubt if anyone would criticize you for not wearing Black & White to Dinner.   However, while there is no rule against it, (IMO) it is disrespectful to others to wear bright red on the Queens Room ballroom dance floor for the "Black & White Ball".   

Disrespectful? I don't believe so. If I do not have a black and white outfit, that means I cannot enter the ballroom? I think any color you wish is fine. The black and white is just a suggestion, not a requirement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

Disrespectful? I don't believe so. If I do not have a black and white outfit, that means I cannot enter the ballroom? I think any color you wish is fine. The black and white is just a suggestion, not a requirement.

I agree, there is no requirement to comply with the theme.

• Like 1

At the Captain’s reception on a gala night, a man was dressed in a “military uniform”, but it was a uniform alá “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band”, obviously meant to flout the dress codes and was definitely disrespectful. However, it seemed every person just ignored the guy completely, so I don’t think he got the reaction he was expecting. I don’t feel a red dress at the black and white ball is quite the same.

Edited by Tonopah

52 minutes ago, Deafcruise said:

Hi,

im learning all these dress codes.

can I wear jacket and shirts in bars and QG in the evenings for example or is it recommended to wear tie and a jacket during the evening just in case? 

It depends on whether the dress code for the evening is "Gala Evening" or "Smart Attire". On the gala evenings, a jacket and tie is required in the dining rooms and most of the bars. On the smart attire evenings, a jacket is required but a tie is optional. Do feel free to wear a tie on smart attire evenings if you wish. You will see a fair number of men choose to wear a tie on smart attire evenings.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, Bell Boy said:

Or booking a Disney cruise and then saying,  I really can't stand children .

Somewhat off topic I know, but I have cruised Disney many times and I really can't stand children!  

It seems that the children's clubs are so good that even if there are many on board, they are mostly out of sight in the clubs, and they are certainly not running riot around the ship.  In fact they are generally far more well behaved and a pleasure to encounter (even for someone who dislikes them as much as I do) than many of the numerous rather rude, ignorant and demanding elderly passengers I recently encountered on QM2.

By the way, the children also dress up for formal nights on Disney ships along with the adults.

In addition to being reminded of the dress code, it's a pity some people aren't reminded to take a close look in the mirror before leaving their cabin!  Flapper dresses for the 20s night, fine, I saw some lovely ones on ladies of all ages.  Very short, revealing flapper dresses on certain older women, not so nice for the rest of us to see.

As for the man who chose to come to dinner in the MDR apparently dressed as Oliver Hardy, complete with hat and moustache ...... he should have been told it was a gala evening with a suggested theme, not a fancy dress night, and asked to change but he wasn't. 

9 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

In addition to being reminded of the dress code, it's a pity some people aren't reminded to take a close look in the mirror before leaving their cabin!  Flapper dresses for the 20s night, fine, I saw some lovely ones on ladies of all ages.  Very short, revealing flapper dresses on certain older women, not so nice for the rest of us to see.

As for the man who chose to come to dinner in the MDR apparently dressed as Oliver Hardy, complete with hat and moustache ...... he should have been told it was a gala evening with a suggested theme, not a fancy dress night, and asked to change but he wasn't. 

Wow. This comes perilously close to those awful online lists telling women what they should and should not wear after 30/40/whatever age someone decides to tell us what do. We could start a list of physical characteristics of men that we prefer not to look at, but that would be nasty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

Somewhat off topic I know, but I have cruised Disney many times and I really can't stand children!  

It seems that the children's clubs are so good that even if there are many on board, they are mostly out of sight in the clubs, and they are certainly not running riot around the ship.  In fact they are generally far more well behaved and a pleasure to encounter (even for someone who dislikes them as much as I do) than many of the numerous rather rude, ignorant and demanding elderly passengers I recently encountered on QM2.

Then I'd say substitute Carnival for Disney. 😉

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Wow. This comes perilously close to those awful online lists telling women what they should and should not wear after 30/40/whatever age someone decides to tell us what do. We could start a list of physical characteristics of men that we prefer not to look at, but that would be nasty.

This thread is about Cunard dress codes.  What is any dress code if it isn't telling people what they should and should not wear?  I  believe everyone should dress appropriately, and as a middle aged woman I personally don't think it appropriate to inflict certain aspects of my middle aged flesh on anyone! 

But perhaps I'm overly influenced by the work-related functions I have attended over the years, where there are long-standing, traditional dress regulations which must be adhered to, including no bare shoulders for ladies.

40 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Then I'd say substitute Carnival for Disney. 😉

Not quite sure whether that suggestion is for the poster who originally quoted Disney, or a suggestion that I should cruise Carnival.  If it's the latter, then I don't quite understand the reasoning given, but no matter.  I am currently trying different cruise lines to compare with Disney, but Carnival is not on the list.  Although I suppose technically I have just given them some business, having sailed with Cunard.

I enjoyed exploring QM2 and noting the similarities between her and the original Queen Mary, and indeed the Disney Magic which paid homage to the original several years before QM2.  I do plan to sail QM2 again on the transatlantic run, for which she is clearly designed.  However, I was disappointed to find Cunard standards somewhat lacking in several areas compared to the Disney Cruise Line, in particular the MDR food and service, the production values of the theatre shows, and the attention to detail in cabins.  

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Not quite sure whether that suggestion is for the poster who originally quoted Disney, or a suggestion that I should cruise Carnival

For the poster who originally mentioned Disney. You countered that Disney does a good job of keeping kids occupied and not underfoot, so I thought the alternative would be Carnival (which IME has kids running around everywhere, particularly near any pool).

7 hours ago, BobBranst said:

I doubt if anyone would criticize you for not wearing Black & White to Dinner.   However, while there is no rule against it, (IMO) it is disrespectful to others to wear bright red on the Queens Room ballroom dance floor for the "Black & White Ball".   

Not disrespectful as the theme nights are optional:  

Cunard Theme Nights and Suggested Attire

Participation is optional, you are not required to follow the theme dress in the same way you are required to follow the dress code of the evening (i.e. formal / informal) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

For the poster who originally mentioned Disney. You countered that Disney does a good job of keeping kids occupied and not underfoot, so I thought the alternative would be Carnival (which IME has kids running around everywhere, particularly near any pool).

Okay, understood, thank you.  Carnival is definitely not for me!

I really don't understand the conflicts here.

I mean, I get why some people don't want to dress for dinner, sure.  No judgements there.

But, when provided a dress code, why is there so much resistance?

Who would, upon receiving a formal dinner invitation clearly stating "Black Tie" or "Black Tie Optional" accept the invitation, then show up in casual clothing, knowing that the hosts and most attendees will be dressed in black tie, and then complain about the dress code?

There are plenty of more casual lines.  If the dress code is such an issue, why not choose one of them instead?  I opted for Cunard because of its history and tradition.  Specifically.  No way will I then insult the style of my hosts by dressing inappropriately and complaining about the dress code.  Who would do that aside from a sociopath?

My first cruise, in the 80's, was on Carnival.  Even there they had a "Gala night," where "Black tie optional" was the dress, and at least one other in a 7-day cruise where jackets were requested.  I'm not sure that Carnival still does that.  We have dumbed down the dress code so many places in our civilization, do we need to lower the standards everywhere?  Brand distinctions allow for some brands that are casual, and some that are less so, and passengers can "vote with their dollars (Pounds, Euros, Yen...)."  If people don't like the more formal dress code then Cunard won't be successful, but they are specifically because some of us still like the old world service and style, and are willing to pay for it.

• Like 3