Dress for Cunard

airugo

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

The dress code on the Cunard website suggests you can’t wear shorts in the MDR for breakfast/lunch or am I misreading it?

During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

Shorts can be worn in the restaurants, breakfast and lunch time. Just make sure they're not of the micro variety!

10 minutes ago, luckymal said:

You seem to want the best of both worlds, not always possible?🍷🥃

The current arrangement is fine for me as the formal dress code doesn’t kick in until 6.

I was suggesting that it might be nice for earlier diners if one of the bars was formal  from 5 or 5.30 onwards.

The dress code you find right at the front of the Cunard website under what to pack shows picture of shorts as suggested day time wearand has done for some time.

I can't find the shorts prohibition or find "casual wear" as a definition  on the Cunard website. Àlthough this quote comes up on complete cruise solutions website but not on cunard.

17 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sadly, you will see some "dance snobs" on the floor glaring at people who are not the dance equivalent of a black belt. Some dancers look so serious about it that I wonder if they're even enjoying themselves! (I've seen this on other lines, too, so it isn't a "Cunard thing.") So if you're not an expert, just stay out of the way of the uber-serious and enjoy yourself. 

You shouldn't judge a dancers enjoyment based on whether they are smiling or not.   Like any skilled endevor, Ballroom dancing has skill levels and good (non-completive) "social" dancers can spend hundreds of hours learning and practicing as they advance upward from Bronze, to Silver and finally to Gold level.  

It's a fact of life that there will almost always be some better dancers than yourself on the dance floor.  However, skill level really  makes no difference as long as everyone keeps their eyes open and does their best to avoid running into or blocking other dancing couples enjoying themselves (smiling or otherwise).  This is true regardless if it is on a Cunard Queens Room ballroom floor or at your local hometown ballroom.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

You shouldn't judge a dancers enjoyment based on whether they are smiling or not.   Like any skilled endevor, Ballroom dancing has skill levels and good (non-completive) "social" dancers can spend hundreds of hours learning and practicing as they advance upward from Bronze, to Silver and finally to Gold level.  

It's a fact of life that there will almost always be some better dancers than yourself on the dance floor.  However, skill level really  makes no difference as long as everyone keeps their eyes open and does their best to avoid running into or blocking other dancing couples enjoying themselves (smiling or otherwise).  This is true regardless if it is on a Cunard Queens Room ballroom floor or at your local hometown ballroom.  

Amen to all of this. We knew we wanted to dance on the Queen Mary 2. Neither of us had ever danced before. We took three months’ worth of lessons and felt comfortable enough to get on the floor every night. We continued with our lessons and will be much more proficient when we return (appropriately dressed!) to the Queen Mary 2 dance floor in 2020. But we will still probably look very serious most of the time, but we’re smiling on the inside! 

49 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Amen to all of this. We knew we wanted to dance on the Queen Mary 2. Neither of us had ever danced before. We took three months’ worth of lessons and felt comfortable enough to get on the floor every night. We continued with our lessons and will be much more proficient when we return (appropriately dressed!) to the Queen Mary 2 dance floor in 2020. But we will still probably look very serious most of the time, but we’re smiling on the inside! 

Your experiecre sounds exactly like our first crossing and learning to dance.   Like you, we are still taking dance lessons and still have a lot to learn.   We are currently working on Quickstep.   It's one of those dances we seldom get to do here and always love doing it on the QM2 (although the good British dancers really make us look bad :classic_biggrin:.)   

2 hours ago, Wiltonian said:

So the Cunard web site is just wrong?

These old chestnuts keep popping up don't they!

I refer you to a post over two years ago by I think, Blue Marble and I don't think. judging by the attire over the last two years, that the information given, has changed.  

Perhaps I can now provide a definitive answer to the question of whether Cunard considers shorts to be acceptable in the main dining rooms during breakfast and lunch. On the one hand, there is that statement from "ask.cunard.com" we have been discussing at some length which certainly implies shorts are not considered appropriate in the MDR during breakfast and lunch. On the other hand, as several posters have pointed out, the de facto policy on board has been to allow shorts in the MDR during breakfast and lunch. So which is it?

A few days ago I took the opportunity to use the link "Unable to find your answer? Email Us" found at the bottom of each FAQ on "ask.cunard.com" to follow up about this. I quoted the statement in question from the FAQ "Is there a dress code on board?" and asked whether or not shorts are allowed in the MDR during breakfast and lunch, given that the statement in the FAQ implies shorts are not allowed. This morning I received the following reply from Cunard (where ******* represents details I have redacted).

Dear *******,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm you are able to wear shorts (except swimming shorts) within the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

If you would like to wear shorts in the evening, you may visit the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

We look forward to welcoming you on board shortly.

Your enquiry tracking number is *******. If you need to contact us about your enquiry, please quote this number.

Yours sincerely

Frequently Asked Questions

Cunard Line

I think this reply from Cunard also clarifies another statement in the FAQ regarding shorts that I, for one, have always found a bit confusing. You may recall the answer to the FAQ "Is there a dress code on board?" also includes this statement.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Here's the link

Edited by Victoria2
found link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

These old chestnuts keep popping up don't they!

I refer you to a post over two years ago by I think, Blue Marble and I don't think. judging by the attire over the last two years, that the information given, has changed.  ...

Yes, that was my post. Thanks for quoting it. I figured it might be of some help in response to the earlier posts on this thread about the dress code policy as it relates to shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, but you beat me to it.

As Windsurfboy mentioned, that old statement "The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth)." cannot be found on the main customer-facing Cunard websites any more. At least I can't find it there now either. It can still be found in the FAQ on a site meant for travel agents, so unfortunately there is still some misinformation about the dress code out there.

Edited by bluemarble

CUNARD CONFUSION. When is a shirt a jumper?

Just read book for my forthcoming cruise. 

Evening smart attire is described as a jacket and SHIRT , as I always thought it was. 

Yet Cunard on their website under "what to pack" , for evening smart attire have a picture of a man in a jacket and a collarless round neck jumper with NO SHIRT. No wonder people can sometimes be confused 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Evening smart attire is described as a jacket and SHIRT , as I always thought it was. 

Yet Cunard on their website under "what to pack" , for evening smart attire have a picture of a man in a jacket and a collarless round neck jumper with NO SHIRT. No wonder people can sometimes be confused 

(It took me a minute or so to figure out that what the English call a jumper is called a sweater by Americans.)   As I look at the photo there is what appears to be a white colored shirt under the sweater which shows at the neckline.   I agree that it could be confusing if that is all that you look at. 

However,  the "What to Wear" section of the Voyage Personalizer for our next crossing there are no photos and it says:

"Smart Attire: Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."  

That's what I go by.   

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

As I often say ! 'So Typical from those at shore side" who have probably never stepped foot on board a ship, let alone a Cunard Queen. 

That's interesting: navigating from the home page via 'The Experience' to 'What to pack' results in two examples of smart casual, one with the model wearing a shirt and one with him in a pullover. That's on the UK site, and the same two photos are on the mobile version of the US site. Another content management fail...

Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the picture under discussion which Cunard offers as an example of the smart attire dress code. Is that a white dress shirt under the sweater/jumper/pullover or not? I've also thought that picture was a bit confusing ever since it was first posted on the "What to pack" page back in April 2018 shortly after the new "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" terminology was introduced.

smart-attire-for-him-1360-cropped.jpg.im

Edited by bluemarble

1 minute ago, Underwatr said:

Would you object to seeing that on smart casual night, or is this just semantics?

I wouldn't object at all as that's not my nature. I'd be rather surprised though! It's a bit afternoonish in my book.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Would you object to seeing that on smart casual night, or is this just semantics?

No, I wouldn't object to that myself. In fact I wore something similar on the last evening of my last crossing having taken inspiration from that picture. Wasn't really sure if I might be considered to be stretching the dress code to its very limits (or beyond) by doing so though.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

I wouldn't object to it, not my business, I've many more important things to do . I care more about the people than the clothes. 

Expanding the picture it looks more like a T shirt than a dress shirt under the sweater/jumper. It was CUNARD not being able to read their own rules I was pointing out.

It would be fun to post this picture as a new thread under the heading

Today's quiz , does this conform to the evening smart attire code. 

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to copy this picture on my tablet (samsung)  . So if anyone is up to the challenge 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, bluemarble said:

Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the picture under discussion which Cunard offers as an example of the smart attire dress code. Is that a white dress shirt under the sweater/jumper/pullover or not? I've also thought that picture was a bit confusing ever since it was first posted on the "What to pack" page back in April 2018 shortly after the new "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" terminology was introduced.

smart-attire-for-him-1360-cropped.jpg.im

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It would be fun to post this picture as a new thread under the heading

Today's quiz , does this conform to the evening smart attire code. 

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to copy this picture on my tablet (samsung)  . So if anyone is up to the challenge 

The image address for that picture is "https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/dress-code/smart-attire/smart-attire-for-him-1360-cropped.jpg.image.465.620.medium.jpg" if you would like to give it a try using that URL to get to the picture that way.

Expanding the picture it looks more like a T shirt than a dress shirt under the sweater/jumper. It was CUNARD not being able to read their own rules I was pointing out.

To carry this into even more absurdity,  one might suggest that since Cunard did not specify a "collored dress shirt",  an outerwear "T-Shirt" (which meets the definition of a "shirt") should be perfectly acceptable under a sweater/jumper.  :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, BobBranst said:

To carry this into even more absurdity,  one might suggest that since Cunard did not specify a "collored dress shirt",  an outerwear "T-Shirt" (which meets the definition of a "shirt") should be perfectly acceptable under a sweater/jumper.  :classic_biggrin:

and a "Jacket" could be a King Edward baked to perfection.

Lol John

• Like 1

OMGosh!

Enough already!

My friend at this moment is on QM2, she is thrilled with the lovely friendly guest she has met. This is the same person among others were hesitant to travel the QM2

because of the  dress code “gossip. After disembarking she has a month of on land travel, thus not packing a gown. 

A

• Like 1

All this joking and finger pointing is aimed at the Cunard website developers who seemingly can't read. No one commenting on this picture is being judgemental of other passengers  in fact quite the opposite.  Just making fun of Cunard . That's why you meet nice people on Cunard, they like a joke. In the British sense of humour is suchyou can joke about big companies like Cunard, but are respectful of individuals

• Like 1