Cruise Critic Community
airugo

Dress for Cunard

I am the Scarlett Woman who dared to wear red to the ball.  I suppose this makes me the village tart.  Evidently all that my outfit was missing was the Scarlett "A".  BTW, it was Armani.  After a turn or two around the dance floor, I left the others to their amusements.  I returned upstairs to the Queen's Grill and had another cocktail.

I met or exceeded every published dress requirement.  It was not my first trip on Cunard, rather one of many.  On that particular trip I even had a black evening gown in my luggage. It was a lovely Oleg Cassini.  I chose not to wear it that night because I wasn't in the mood for it.  I was feeling red that night and I looked fabulous. 

Get over it.  

My granddaughter, Scarlett, prefers pastel greens and blues - she hates wearing read dresses because people always say things like:  “Good day, Miss Scaaahlet.” 

Tagging on rather than create a new thread.

I’m considering a solo trip on QM2 / New England. I can afford to do this (and buy the clothes to go with it), but I work in an extremely casual environment (on the tech side of the entertainment industry), and frankly just have no sense for fashion. (Female.)

The good news is, I won’t be doing the Gala or MDRs; I would try to mostly keep to myself, or be sure to wear dresses and (heels or flats?) if I leave my stateroom in the evening. So the questions are mostly:

—Is the King’s Court open for reasonable hours during the day and evening? This would solve most of my dining problems.

—would I aggravate people by walking around during the day in cotton (not denim) shorts, a cotton top and maybe a short flowy cover up, plus sandals? I do like to walk around the ship a lot during the day. 

Again, I need to emphasize that none of this is about Gala, formal or theme nights, nor about the MDR. (Since those are the main hot button topics.) I like to keep to myself and relax on cruises in any case, just looking for strategies to blend in. I’d even take shopping suggestions.

1 minute ago, perditax said:

I’m considering a solo trip on QM2 / New England. I can afford to do this (and buy the clothes to go with it), but I work in an extremely casual environment (on the tech side of the entertainment industry), and frankly just have no sense for fashion. (Female.)

The good news is, I won’t be doing the Gala or MDRs; I would try to mostly keep to myself, or be sure to wear dresses and (heels or flats?) if I leave my stateroom in the evening. So the questions are mostly:

—Is the King’s Court open for reasonable hours during the day and evening? This would solve most of my dining problems.

—would I aggravate people by walking around during the day in cotton (not denim) shorts, a cotton top and maybe a short flowy cover up, plus sandals? I do like to walk around the ship a lot during the day. 

Again, I need to emphasize that none of this is about Gala, formal or theme nights, nor about the MDR. (Since those are the main hot button topics.) I like to keep to myself and relax on cruises in any case, just looking for strategies to blend in. I’d even take shopping suggestions.

You would be fine. Shorts and sandals are fine during the day.  Kings Court is open nearly all the time. One can also eat in the Golden Lion Pub, and don’t forget afternoon tea! HOWEVER, please don’t skip gala evenings. Give it a try. They are a treat. You can get by with flowy palazzo pants and a sparkly shirt and ballet flats and still be comfortable.

I wore uniforms most of my life, and then worked in a business casual place. I *still* have no idea how to “dress”. Here are two of my outfits, both from a consignment shop. 

74A1DD5F-AE65-45F5-801D-F33C849A82D4.jpeg

441AF266-41B9-4791-A8EC-06EE7B26677A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

You would be fine. Shorts and sandals are fine during the day.  Kings Court is open nearly all the time. One can also eat in the Golden Lion Pub, and don’t forget afternoon tea! HOWEVER, please don’t skip gala evenings. Give it a try. They are a treat. You can get by with flowy palazzo pants and a sparkly shirt and ballet flats and still be comfortable.

I wore uniforms most of my life, and then worked in a business casual place. I *still* have no idea how to “dress”. Here are two of my outfits, both from a consignment shop. 

74A1DD5F-AE65-45F5-801D-F33C849A82D4.jpeg

441AF266-41B9-4791-A8EC-06EE7B26677A.jpeg

Thank you very much for the input. 

1 hour ago, perditax said:

Hi! Nice to have a techie to chat with... I’m also in entertainment (performance)... I appreciate the people in tech so very much!

As far as your evenings- don’t short change your vacation- you will see a huge range of styles. So just find something you like 😊

You should be absolutely fine during the day! Enjoy!! The website states this about the day:

During the day, feel free to relax and dress as you please in all areas of the ship.

29 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

heels or flats?

Furthermore, I will absolutely be wearing flats during evenings on my voyage... I only wear heels when I have to... not a fan

My trip has ports... I’ll be wearing hiking boots during the day 😊

I second the flats! I broke my right ankle when I was thrown from a horse. I broke my left ankle when a lady ran over me at a stop light (I was on my motorcycle). If I’m not on the dance floor I will most likely be in flats.