Beach safety

Dshier

which destinations?

We don't take many valuables with us - just ID and maybe a phone and/or basic camera. We've been cruising since 2009, and so far nothing has been stolen. Sometimes we are all in the water at the same time, and from time to time, I glance back to our chaises, and sometimes my DH stays on the beach (he likes water, but not as much as I and our kiddo do).

We use zipper bags and carry a coiled, combination bike cable.  Cable the bag to the chair.  Nobody is going to take time to unzip the bag, take out the towels, shirts, whatever, to find a couple of bucks inside the hard to find zipper pocket inside the bag.  If anything, crooks will just take off with the bag which they can’t do with it cables to the chair.  All that said, we carry nothing of any real value.  

• Like 1

Leave most everything on the ship.  Bring a bag with sunscreen and hats and towels.   Purchase those disposable waterproof cameras, leave the phones at home and wear a cheapo $10 wristwatch.  Your shipcard and a tiny amount of cash can fit in a neck safe.

Beach-Safe-Waterproof-Case-with-Neck-Lac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Leave most everything on the ship.  Bring a bag with sunscreen and hats and towels.   Purchase those disposable waterproof cameras, leave the phones at home and wear a cheapo $10 wristwatch.  Your shipcard and a tiny amount of cash can fit in a neck safe.

Beach-Safe-Waterproof-Case-with-Neck-Lac

I use these also.  Credit card, some cash, sea pass cards.

Camera is waterproof and goes in the water.

• Like 1

If you're a man, and have a velcro pocket on your swim trunks, your credit card, ship keys, and even cash CAN get wet!  Put them in your pocket.  Don't bring "valuables" ashore for a beach day.  Clothes, flip-flops, paperback book, etc...are fine on the beach.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, Dshier said:

This is our first cruise and we are wondering how to keep our items safe on the beach while we are in the water

Congratulations on your first cruise!  We all have different travel needs and risk tolerances, so what we do may or may not work for you.  My husband and I leave most items on the ship but we do go ashore with: one of our phones (camera, emergency contact), some sunscreen (but leave some onboard), some medications (including an epi-pen), some cash, ID, and towels.  We have a bag with some hidden storage for things we are really worried about and haven't lost anything yet, but if we did it would be an inconvenience but not the end of the world.  Even losing a passport would be a major hassle but could be overcome.  

If I had jewelry (or anything else) that was practically irreplaceable it would either stay on the ship or stay at home.  It's important to be cautious but we have never felt uncomfortable with our limited belongings on the beach in a bag while we are both in the water.

3 hours ago, Dshier said:

Are you allowed on and off the ship during the day?

My cruises have been Canada, Bahamas, and Western Caribbean.  At all of these you can come and go as you please during the times in port, but be sure to be back before all aboard time, not sail away time.  Also if you are at a tender port (many of the private islands) the time spent going back and forth might not be worth it to you so I would plan to stay ashore.

We are beach lovers (for over 60 years) and follow a simple rule.  If you leave it on the beach, then you must accept the risk that it will disappear!  So what to do?  We only take valuables that are necessary (some cash, cruise card, a credit card, and sometimes a phone).  I have a waterproof "fannypack" (there are lots of options online) that I wear in the water and where we keep all of our valuables.  We do leave a backpack on the beach which will have towels and other non-valuable items.  There are special packs you can buy where you lock your valuables to a chair (or other large item) but we have never tried that option.  Do you run a big risk leaving stuff on the beach?  Probably not...but you do run a risk.  4 years ago, 2 NYC Police Officers (husband and wife) left their Passports and other valuables on a beach in Tel Aviv for only a few moments (while they took a quick dip) and all their stuff disappeared.  They had ask another couple to keep an eye on their stuff, but that technique failed them in a big way.  These folks lost some money and credit  cards, but the worst thing was they both lost their Passports.  Fortunately, since the ship was in Israel for another day they were able to obtain emergency replacements.....but it cost them some real money plus they spent their entire day working on getting new Passports rather then taking their tour.

Hank