Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

48 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I haven't read every one of the messages here, but it seems like none, or at least very few, I can't remember for sure, people here have actually been on board a ship that had all the tables and/or chairs removed from the stateroom on the Princess ships so how sure is everyone that the absence(s) of tables and chairs is an actual situation and how much is the result of some unexplained case-by-case situation where a piece or pieces of furniture has been removed for some reason or another? Perhaps this is all "much ado about nothing" and when everyone gets on their next cruise, all the "normal" items will be there as always?

As I said, maybe I missed seeing specific cases being mentioned. If that's the case, my apologies.

Tom

I was on the Crown in Oct in the med and for the TA back to FLL. I CAN TELL YOU THE BARREL CHAIR WAS REMOVED AND WE WERE NOT GIVEN ANY OPTION TO GET ONE BACK EITHER. I was in a basic balcony cabin mid-aft on Baja deck.  IMO Princess is getting pretty ridiculous with their cutbacks.  Will it ever stop?  IT IS NOT "much ado about nothing"

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

If I didn't have so much invested in a non-refundable hotel room near the port and a non-refundable airline ticket and so forth, I would consider cancelling myself.   I was stupid (yes...my fault).   I had assumed my interior room would have a mini sofa.   But learning that not only was there not a mini sofa but not even an arm chair...really?  

I've got a plan to transform the twin bed into a sofa to try to make this cruise as pleasant as possible.   But my next cruise will likely not be on princess when there are other lines that are same or cheaper price and their interior rooms have a mini sofa!

Did you not have a chance to look at a floor plan before booking your cruise? A simple Google search on "interior cabin Princess Cruise" would have shown you several youtube videos, etc. 

• Like 5

On 2/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just curious, what cruise lines that you sailed on have a sofa in an inside cabin?

King

HAL has a small sofa (two person size) in inside cabins on at least some of their ships.

1 minute ago, RDC1 said:

HAL has a small sofa (two person size) in inside cabins on at least some of their ships.

I had a deluxe inside cabin on the Oosterdam. I think I had a corner couch - it was really nice.

I assume that the chair in question is the blue one in front of the sliding door in the picture, below, and the table is the little one with the glass top between the TV and the wall hanging on the right.

default-balcony-1600.jpg

Hmmm.  I think we will miss the little table more than the chair.  We usually leave plates/utensils/glasses/napkins from snacks and room service meals on that little table for the steward to remove when he provides service.  We are going to be cruising on the Ruby Princess in April in a balcony cabin such as the one in this picture.  I guess we'll find out in April.

I did just think of another thing.  We enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, and, typically, have it while we are at sea.  Since the balcony is, usually, quite windy while the ship is moving at sea, we set up in the room.  The room service staff does bring a table for the UBD, and we use the two chairs that are in the cabin.  I, personally, would not like to have one person sit at the edge of the bed for that, otherwise, elegant dinner.  I assume that the room service staff would, then, also have to bring a second chair.

• Like 1

Inside & outside rooms (160 sq ft)  (not balcony at 230 sq ft) are so TINY there's no room for table / barrel chair. Both were there on my November 2018 balcony room 

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

Hi  The ship is the ruby and as I understand inside and balcony rooms are now missing both table and chair.  My understanding is it is now Princess policy when a ship goes to dry dock they are removed to be so kind as to give the cruiser more room.

We cruised on the Ruby in Dec 2018, after her last dry dock.  Our mini-suite had the usual complement of furniture, including the small round (or was it oval?) glass table and the "tub" chair.

• Like 2

We are sailing on the Ruby next week and have a balcony instead of our usual mini. 

We always order room service in the morning so I hope we have a table and chair, I’m one of those people that think it’s disgusting to eat while in bed !

42 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

We are sailing on the Ruby next week and have a balcony instead of our usual mini. 

We always order room service in the morning so I hope we have a table and chair, I’m one of those people that think it’s disgusting to eat while in bed !

Why did you downgrade from a your usual mini suite to a balcony?   No tub chair or table.   How are you going to dine in room?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, akeasley said:

Did you not have a chance to look at a floor plan before booking your cruise? A simple Google search on "interior cabin Princess Cruise" would have shown you several youtube videos, etc. 

I guess I didn't look that close.  I assumed (incorrectly) that all insides were the same and would have at least an arm chair (like in a hotel room).   I had no idea it would be a desk chair or bed.   I admit that many European hotels are like that (just a desk chair), but then again, I'm usually sightseeing or shopping, not planning to hang out in the room.   on a cruise, I'm hanging out, having a "show" every night, someone else cooking and cleaning.   If it were a port intensive cruise, I might not care.   But this is more sea days than port - and I chose that on purpose, thinking I could hang in the room.  😞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

I cannot believe that people aren’t more disturbed by the fact that one person sits on the bed or floor because Princess has removed the chair and the table.  They should be available for those who want or require them.  Two people two chairs seems kind of obvious.  The lack of a table kind of makes it a pain if you order breakfast from room service.  I love Princess and have cruised to Alaska the last eight years.  I enjoy sitting in the tub chair looking at the scenery in the privacy of my cabin. Please don’t flame me for wanting at least being able to ask for a second chair from the cabin Stuart. I did send an email to Princess and hope others will do the same. 

Is it possible Stuart can get a chair out of storage for you?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

9 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why did you downgrade from a your usual mini suite to a balcony?   No tub chair or table.   How are you going to dine in room?

King

When I booked it in October, all the mini’s were sold out!   I’m definitely going to miss the couch, but figured I could tough it out for 4 days 😂.   Have a Caribe deck balcony, so that’s good but who knows what the weather will be at this point.  Worst case scenario, I’ll put my balcony table inside for breakfast! 

We are on the Royal Princess right now. There isn't a chair and the table was already in the closet. I am missing the chair. While I admit it got in the way, it was very useful for reading, watching tv, or watching the world go by outside. I don’t think they are going to come back. 

Cheers, Denise

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

When I booked it in October, all the mini’s were sold out!   I’m definitely going to miss the couch, but figured I could tough it out for 4 days 😂.   Have a Caribe deck balcony, so that’s good but who knows what the weather will be at this point.  Worst case scenario, I’ll put my balcony table inside for breakfast! 

Good idea.  

Enjoy your cruise!

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

8 minutes ago, dchip said:

We are on the Royal Princess right now. There isn't a chair and the table was already in the closet. I am missing the chair. While I admit it got in the way, it was very useful for reading, watching tv, or watching the world go by outside. I don’t think they are going to come back. 

Cheers, Denise

Wow! 

The table was already in the closet?  Are you saying someone put the table there before you embarked?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

We cruised on the Ruby in Dec 2018, after her last dry dock.  Our mini-suite had the usual complement of furniture, including the small round (or was it oval?) glass table and the "tub" chair.

Thanks for the good news about the minisuite on the Ruby.

19 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

The chair was MIA in the Crown obstructed OV room in October.  However, we still had the little table.  

On our Crown Christmas cruise, our mini-suite had both the table and chair.

5 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I was on the Crown in Oct in the med and for the TA back to FLL. I CAN TELL YOU THE BARREL CHAIR WAS REMOVED AND WE WERE NOT GIVEN ANY OPTION TO GET ONE BACK EITHER. I was in a basic balcony cabin mid-aft on Baja deck.  IMO Princess is getting pretty ridiculous with their cutbacks.  Will it ever stop?  IT IS NOT "much ado about nothing"

Okay, you and 3 others were 4 instances of missing tables and/or chairs in different ships and one of those got their chair back by simply asking for one so there doesn't seem to be much evidence of any widespread plan to do away with either or both of the items. Also, one other traveler had an idea to bring a chair in from the balcony which seems to be a workaround option in the worst case. It doesn't make much sense to me for Princess to take the barrel chairs out of the rooms to me so I really wonder if there is such a "plan" in any case.  A large number of complaints received on end-oif-cruise surveys and/or polite letters of complaint might very well bring about a solution if it actually is a recent policy change.

Tom

I’m being sarcastic! I wonder what Princess would do if each person who wanted a chair in their room brought one back from the buffet area? I know, there are big and heavy. What a sight that would be!  Maybe Princess would listen to the passengers. 

Edited by Grammy J
Added a line
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was on the Ruby last month-no chair. The cabin steward said that they had been removed “for safety”, and to make more room. We asked for another chair, and he brought another desk chair. Not as comfortable as a barrel chair, but at least we had a place to sit. 

I really feel feel like it’s a cost savings for them. The chairs are always beat up, and rather than spend the money refinishing/reupholstering them, get rid of them. It may seem like a small thing, but if I’m on a “premium” cruise line, I don’t want to sit on a bed to eat a meal or sip a cocktail. I sent an email to Princess expressing my displeasure. 

• Like 2