Cruise Critic Community

Hello there,

First of all, I just want to point out that this post is in relation to a 2015 AND 2017 trip to Asia.  This is a beautiful story but quite long.

In March 2015, after a 28-night cruise, we flew to Bali.  We had the driver of our hotel (Ubud) picked us up from the airport. His name was Dewa. He was very professional, spoke great english and was very knowledgable about everything: life, history, customs... He had dealt with different personalities over the last 3 years (2012-2015) working for the hotel and he is very patient and knows how to "deliver". We loved him so much that we booked an 8-hour tour. Well, it was better than I could have imagined. I don't want to write too much details but we travel like "Rick Steves" and love the off-the-beaten-track experiences. His bubbly personality contributed a lot to our experience. We booked him for 3 more days... He then drove us to Seminyak where we were supposed to spend 10 days then fly back home (Canada). Unfortunately, my husband got very sick (almost died) and ended up 2 weeks at the hospital. Twice, Dewa drove 45 min from Ubud to visit with my husband at the hospital! By this point, we were like family.  After our return from Canada, we pondered on what had happened and decided to sponsor Dewa’s daughter (Ayu) to English school to better her schooling.

Feb 8-9, 2017   Our cruise ship stayed overnight in Bali.  Dewa was there to greet us.  Our reunion was very touching as the last time we had seen him was just before DH was released from a Bali's hospital.  Dewa had rented a nice van and a driver as we had 3 other couples who wanted to join us on our 2-day adventure in Bali.  As we are sponsoring Dewa's daughter, Ayu, to go to English school, we feel she is a grand daughter to us.  Her birthday is on Feb 10 so we had asked Dewa to organize a birthday party for Ayu at our expense.  Each year, Ayu is asked what she wants for her birthday: go to Mc Donalds or a party with 2-3 of her friends.  She always choose McDonalds.... So this year, it was her first ever birthday party...

We started by touring around Ubud until 5pm.  Then, it was party time.  We drove to Dewa's house and the birthday girl was already celebrating with 30 other children from her class and relatives.  It was so exciting to see big smiles on their faces.  A clown had been hired to entertain the kids.  He did an awesome job.  DH and I met Dewa's family: mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, cousins, nieces....... The compound was filled with people.  It is an evening DH and I will never forget.  Later on, Dewa drove us to a small Balinese hotel (in Ubud) where the 4 couples slept.  The next morning, Dewa picked us up at 9 and we toured around until it was time to get back to the cruise ship.  We have only one regret: not enough time with Dewa, his wife and his 2 children.

Over the past 4 years, we have been in contact with Dewa on a weekly basis.  This is very special as many of us do not hear often from our own sons and/or daughters...  Dewa does not know it but he is giving us so much.  It's hard to explain in words, I think we see in him the beauty of human beings.  We keep telling him he gave us so much when we were in Bali: he did not give us materials but he gave us his time without making us feel rushed.  His dedication in leading us exploring Bali to the fullest was out of this world (remember, he has seen the rice fields, the waterfalls, the temples... a thousand times).   But we could see the fire in his eyes/his passion as he explained Bali to us...it was truly beautiful.    We have a tremendous respect for Dewa.  We consider him like our son. 

This is why I decided I wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday in Bali (Sept 2019).  It might be our last time in Bali and I want to spend time with Dewa who showed us what love is all about by giving us everything he had in 2015: precious time.

Dewa is truly a special person and I would like the whole world to find out about him. We love him and are so blessed to have him in our lives.  Hopefully, you can find out first hand for yourself.  If you know of anyone travelling to Bali, please let them know about Dewa.  Thank you so much everyone,

Dewa     Email: dgrock1140 at yahoo dot com    Phone: 085238493089    He now owns his own vehicle.

The Canadians!😎

P.S.  I can answer any question.

Thank you.  We are going to Bali in December, as we board our cruise ship there.  We haven't yet booked our flights (I dread that) but I don't think we're going to have more than two days in Bali to sightsee.  Therefore, I will be looking for a tour guide/driver and will contact Dewa.  Do you know if he could pick us up from the Benoa area and take us to Ubud?  We don't yet know where we'll be staying, and I am wondering if we should stay in Benoa, Ubud, or split the time between the two.  I also don't know what we'll want to see, although the Royal Palace and rice fields sound like they would be right up my alley.  I love photography.

What a wonderful story you've told - thanks.   

22 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Therefore, I will be looking for a tour guide/driver and will contact Dewa.  Do you know if he could pick us up from the Benoa area and take us to Ubud?  We don't yet know where we'll be staying, and I am wondering if we should stay in Benoa, Ubud, or split the time between the two.  I also don't know what we'll want to see, although the Royal Palace and rice fields sound like they would be right up my alley.  I love photography.

What a wonderful story you've told - thanks.   

Hello Roothy123,

If you are going to stay only 2 days in Bali, I would definitely stay in Ubud.  Dewa will certainly pick you up at the airport and drive you to your hotel (anywhere it is located).  He has been a driver/guide for many years so he will help you out with your itinerary.  Two days is a very short stay but I would ask him to see the rice field, elephant temple, holy water temple and Tanah Lot (if you have enough time as it is away from Ubud and the airport).

The Monkey Forest and the market are fun.

There lots of hotel room under $50 USD brekkie included.

Good luck planning.  You will love Dewa.

The Canadians!😎

Hello Cashmeremypuppydog,

I have arranged a day tour in Bali with a guide named Dewa.

I contacted him at dewa@balitours.com

Would this be the same Dewa?  I hope so.

I loved your story!  Thanks for sharing it.

10 hours ago, movin12 said:

Dewa Marco perhaps? He was outstanding! Here is my brief review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297694-d6584084-r204435902-Discover_Bali_Tour-Denpasar_Bali.html

Take a look at his other reviews: 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297694-d6584084-Reviews-Discover_Bali_Tour-Denpasar_Bali.html

Hi,

It seems there is more than one tour guide named Dewa.  This was not the website I found him through, it was Dewa@balitours but perhaps he works through various tour groups.

In any case you have been helpful to others in finding a good guide.

Hopefully I will find the same experiences and will be able to share them with all of you.

Have a great day!

16 hours ago, movin12 said:

Hello movin12,

No it is not the same Dewa.  Dewa is a very common name in Bali.  It goes with their social status, so when you hear Dewa, you know it is lower class.  Ask Dewa, our "adoptive son" to explain everything to you.

Our Dewa does not have a web site so it would be very nice if you hire him.  His email address is:

dgrock1140 at yahoo dot com      You will not be disappointed if you book "our" Dewa

Thank you

The Canadians!😎

Thank you both for the information.  We are leaving in 2 weeks and had already made our arrangements, it’s a bit late for a change for us but others will benefit from your reviews.

Hello Canadian 

Thank you for the review. We’re going to Bali for two weeks in March prior to a Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. I’m in contact with Dewa and arranging for hotel transfer as well as five day tours during our stay. Making good progress.

Hi Canadians.  I won't be going until December, so I'm inching along on getting things in place for my trip to Bali and cruise.  So I will likely contact "your" Dewa; thanks.  And I was wondering about the many people named the same in Bali.  Apparently a very common name is Wayan, as I keep seeing that name.  I finally read up on names in Bali and found out it, and several other names, is given to a first born child, hence the popularity.  

But I will have two days in Bali, and on the third I'll need to get from Ubud to Benoa port for my cruise, although I'll be on the ship for a long time, so I might be able to spend a few hours that third day sightseeing before going to the ship.  

I've found a number of hotels that interest me.  I'm not a big fan of the big, modern resort hotels.

I'll have to look up the holy water temple; haven't read about that yet.  But I'm hoping to see some amazing things in my short time there, and things that I'll love to photograph.  I've also got my eyes on the Petalu village and the herons that come to roost a short way above Ubud, and the rice fields definitely interest me.  Mostly, I'm into photography when I travel.  I think I'll concentrate on the Ubud area, and if I get over to Tanah Lot fine, or if not, that's OK.  

Do I need to take a sarong and sash for the temples, or can you rent them, I assume inexpensively, on the spot if they're required?  

15 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Hi Canadians.  I won't be going until December, so I'm inching along on getting things in place for my trip to Bali and cruise.  So I will likely contact "your" Dewa; thanks.  And I was wondering about the many people named the same in Bali.  Apparently a very common name is Wayan, as I keep seeing that name.  I finally read up on names in Bali and found out it, and several other names, is given to a first born child, hence the popularity.  

But I will have two days in Bali, and on the third I'll need to get from Ubud to Benoa port for my cruise, although I'll be on the ship for a long time, so I might be able to spend a few hours that third day sightseeing before going to the ship.  

I've found a number of hotels that interest me.  I'm not a big fan of the big, modern resort hotels.

I'll have to look up the holy water temple; haven't read about that yet.  But I'm hoping to see some amazing things in my short time there, and things that I'll love to photograph.  I've also got my eyes on the Petalu village and the herons that come to roost a short way above Ubud, and the rice fields definitely interest me.  Mostly, I'm into photography when I travel.  I think I'll concentrate on the Ubud area, and if I get over to Tanah Lot fine, or if not, that's OK.  

Do I need to take a sarong and sash for the temples, or can you rent them, I assume inexpensively, on the spot if they're required?  

Hello Roothy123,

Please email me at chantalanddennis at hotmail dot com

i will answer your questions:

-Where do you want to stay in Bali (Ubud (1 hour away from the ocean), Semyniak, Sanur?  

-What are you doing on your first 2 days?  I would personally hire Dewa for at least 2 days.  He can pick you up at the airport on day 1.  And then day 3.

But as your time is limited, I would hire him for 3 days.  He is very inexpensive...

-Dewa will have sarongs for you in his car... but you are right, you can rent them for very little $$.

I am waiting for your email.

The Canadians!😎

P.S.  I am leaving on March 12 for 9 weeks so please email me before.

P.S.S.  Thank you for considering “our” Dewa!

Posted (edited)

I have been two weeks in Bali prior to our Singapore to Hong Kong Cruise.

I did used Dewa for 5 full day tours as well as airport transfer  - excellent experience. I provided a list of some of my 'must see' and Dewa then arranged the tours and added other sights. 

I did inspire Dewa to create a blog webside - Dewa Driver in Bali - with contact information and few details on the possible tours. Once back from my cruise I'll make a blog with a review of the tours.

It is me to the right

dewa.JPG

Edited by hallasm

Very nice. DH and I will be in Bali in late December/early January before we cruise from Singapore to Tokyo with a group of 27 friends. We may have him arrange some tours for us, once I see if any other people from our cruise group are going to be joining us in Bali before the cruise.

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Very nice. DH and I will be in Bali in late December/early January before we cruise from Singapore to Tokyo with a group of 27 friends. We may have him arrange some tours for us, once I see if any other people from our cruise group are going to be joining us in Bali before the cruise.

Bali and a cruise from Singapore is a good combination. We did stay two weeks at Marriott Vacation Club Nusa Dua Gardens (in conjunction with the Courtyard Hotel) - extremely nice venue - good service, nice apartments (one or two bedrooms) and good restaurants. 

20 hours ago, hallasm said:

I have been two weeks in Bali prior to our Singapore to Hong Kong Cruise.

I did used Dewa for 5 full day tours as well as airport transfer  - excellent experience. I provided a list of some of my 'must see' and Dewa then arranged the tours and added other sights. 

I did inspire Dewa to create a blog webside - Dewa Driver in Bali - with contact information and few details on the possible tours. Once back from my cruise I'll make a blog with a review of the tours.

It is me to the right

dewa.JPG

I am so happy you inspired him 😍

He is such a great human being.  We love him.💕

The Canadians!😎

11 hours ago, hallasm said:

Bali and a cruise from Singapore is a good combination. We did stay two weeks at Marriott Vacation Club Nusa Dua Gardens (in conjunction with the Courtyard Hotel) - extremely nice venue - good service, nice apartments (one or two bedrooms) and good restaurants. 

I reached out to Dewa on his new web site and have hired him for a day tour to the Ubud area for DH & I for early January. Thank you for posting this, and to The Canadians for writing such glowing reviews. We look forward to our visit as it will be our first time in Bali. We are staying at the Uma Sapna Villas in Seminyak.

Mostly, I hope to use our time in Bali to relax and prepare for hosting my group on the 14 day cruise!

I have hired him for our short stay in December, and have to say that he has been very responsive to my emails.  His English seems to be pretty good, too.  I didn't realize after re-reading this post that he lived in Ubud.  I might try asking him if he is familiar with any of the hotels I'm considering there (feedback from customers, etc.)  If anyone on here has recommendations, particularly smaller hotels that might provide fairly modern furnishings but not a sterile, western-type experience at a moderate or budget price, I'd love to hear them. 

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

I might try asking him if he is familiar with any of the hotels I'm considering there

You should definitely ask - Dewa does now many of the hotels in Bali. Unfortunately I cannot help - stayed at a Marriott resort in Nusa Dua.

6 minutes ago, hallasm said:

You should definitely ask - Dewa does now many of the hotels in Bali. Unfortunately I cannot help - stayed at a Marriott resort in Nusa Dua.

Thank you.  I will do that.  I just re-read cashmeremypuppydog's post and she stated that he works at, or possibly used to drive for a hotel in Ubud.  Now I'm curious about which hotel that was.   

It's great that you got Dewa to do that website.  There are SO many drivers and hotels in Ubud - must be a LOT of competition for those things, and people always appreciate being able to look at a website or blog.

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Now I'm curious about which hotel that was.

I did read about the hotel business as well and asked Dewa - My understanding is that he hasn't worked for a hotel - originally he worked as a wood carver and also for a Japanese company as translator before he started as a driver. But since he is picking-up clients at various hotels he does know many hotels quite well.

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, roothy123 said:

roothy123

The Holy Water Temple that Dewa takes you to is Pura Tirta Empul in Ubud. There are spring fed pools there used for ritual purification by Hindus.  On the day Dewa took me (March 4, 2019), the westerners taking part in the ritual outnumbered the Balinese by about 20 to  1 or even more!  You can rent a tied at the waist sarong to simply tour or you can rent the full length (for females) sarong to undergo the purification ritual.

My son and myself enjoyed our day with Dewa very much.  He was a delight.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

9 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

The Holy Water Temple that Dewa takes you to is Pura Tirta Empul in Ubud

We were there with Dewa March 10 - nice experience.

88139A9F-D587-464F-9BEA-675DA452CDF3.jpeg

On 3/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, cashmeremypuppydog said:

I am so happy you inspired him 😍

He is such a great human being.  We love him.💕

A little bit more advertising 

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

A little bit more advertising 

Thank you for posting this lovely video. I look forward to meeting him in person in December.