Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

The neverending saga about the metro City Circle Line seems to end now. 

The line opens on the 29th of September so sadly about when the cruise season ends. 

But next year you both have the Circle line and the first stage of the north harbour line. 

We are flying into Copenhagen from London. I don't think we clear immigration in London since it  is just a layover/connection for a flight from the US.  Our flight is on British Air. I would appreciate any information about what to expect clearing immigration in Copenhagen. How long should I expect this to take?  Thanks.

I hope any recent travellers will chime in but I would not expect more than 20 minutes at the most. 

But it off course depends on if you land at the same time as some of the big intercontinental flights or if it's a more quiet period. 

14 hours ago, cadreamer said:

what to expect clearing immigration in Copenhagen. How long should I expect this to take?

Immigration is normally quite fast - usually arriving at the baggage belt before luggage does arrive. It will usually not take more than 45 minutes to go through the airport including customs at arrival.

Thank you for such a wonderful thread! 

We are a family of 4, kids  will be 9.5 and 11 when we come to Copenhagen next year for B2B 29 day cruise. We have a family room booked at Hotel Bethel. We are in Copenhagen for 4 full days prior to cruise and then 1 day when the ship returns between the 2 cruises. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do with kids (apart from the main touristy things), eg. Like bike tours, playgrounds, kids’ museums, a day trip etc. 

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Solara said:

Does Hotel Bethel have elevators?  Other choices are either the Scandic art Tivoli?  Which would you prefer & which is a better locations?  Thanks

Yes, Hotel Bethel has elevators. I confirmed it directly with the hotel. 

• Like 1

@ Shudie

If Tivoli is too touristy then I will recommend the worlds oldest amusement park Bakken in Klampenborg north of Copenhagen. 

They would probably also think that a trip to the Viking ship museum in Roskilde would be alot of fun. 

Here you can book a sailing trip on one of the Viking ships. 

The Zoo and the Blue Planet aquarium is always a hit with the kids and so is the Experimentarium  science museum. 

3 hours ago, Solara said:

Does Hotel Bethel have elevators?  Other choices are either the Scandic art Tivoli?  Which would you prefer & which is a better locations?  Thanks

I would add that Bethel has the best location. 

But what Scandic hotel are we talking about? 

There is no one with Tivoli in its name but Scandic Palace, Scandic Webers, Scandic Copenhagen and Scandic Kødbyen are all located near Tivoli. 

9 hours ago, Solara said:

Is there a reason you have chosen to use a teeny tiny font size?  It’s very difficult to read, especially in light purple. Thanks 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danish viking said:

@ Shudie

If Tivoli is too touristy then I will recommend the worlds oldest amusement park Bakken in Klampenborg north of Copenhagen. 

They would probably also think that a trip to the Viking ship museum in Roskilde would be alot of fun. 

Here you can book a sailing trip on one of the Viking ships. 

The Zoo and the Blue Planet aquarium is always a hit with the kids and so is the Experimentarium  science museum. 

oh sorry, we like touristy things too - just wondering if there are other things we may not have heard about. 

thanks for the additional recommendations 🙂  the Viking ship definitely sounds fun! 

16 hours ago, Danish viking said:

I would add that Bethel has the best location. 

But what Scandic hotel are we talking about? 

There is no one with Tivoli in its name but Scandic Palace, Scandic Webers, Scandic Copenhagen and Scandic Kødbyen are all located near Tivoli. 

It’s the Hotel Bethel, Scandic Copenhagen & Hotel Tivoli Copenhagen I’m deciding between.  

Any Opinions?  Thanks. 

Both Scandic and Tivoli Hotel gets good reviews (but with a little edge to Tivoli) so for these two I would go with the best price you can get. 

Bethel is rated somewhere in the middle of the 2 other mentioned hotels (4,2 compared to 4,0 and 4,3 on Googles review) but for me I think the location is far superior. 

Edited by Danish viking
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

Both Scandic and Tivoli Hotel gets good reviews (but with a little edge to Tivoli) so for these two I would go with the best price you can get. 

Bethel is rated somewhere in the middle of the 2 other mentioned hotels (4,2 compared to 4,0 and 4,3 on Googles review) but for me I think the location is far superior. 

Thank you so much.  I’ll book the Bethel for the location. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am in Copanhagan for 5 days, arriving July 17.  2 adults, 2 kids (14&12).  Staying at Steel House.  I believe our closest public transit stations is Vesterport.   The plan:

Wednesday

- arrive early afternoon, metro from the airport to Vesterport St.

- Evening canal tour from Ved Stranden, walk around  Christiania Freetown

Thursday

- spend the full day at Tivioli, get unlmited ride pass

Friday

- free walking tour, Rosenborg Castle

Saturday 

- Frederiksborg Castle

Sunday 

- no plan, I figure something I hadn't planned on would pique our interest.  Maybe the Round Tower?

Monday

- public transit to Ocean Quay to catch the NCL Getaway

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Any tips?  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get the Copanhagan card, it's not worth it for the attraction prices, but the public transport to Hillerod seems expensive and might make it worth it.  Is it 92 kr each way for the adults.  What is the age limit for kids?  If I don't have the Copanhagan Card, can I pay for public transport with a credit card?

I would love to hear anything you have to say about my plan!

2 hours ago, cjammer said:

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Any tips?

Well, it's certainly reasonable in that it's fairly leisurely.  🙂

Personally, I wouldn't spend an entire day in Tivoli, but I don't have kids so it's hard for me to judge.  However, there is so much more of interest in Copenhagen.   You haven't mentioned, for example, seeing Amalienborg Palace, and the changing of the guards.   Or Christiansborg Palace.  Or City Hall.  Or perhaps a walking tour leaving from City Hall around the core of the city... 

Glad to see you are going to Frederiksborg Castle.  It is truly amazing.

Enjoy your trip! 

I have no major inputs to your plan but I have a few notes.

First you can´t take the metro to Vesterport.

You either have to take to airport train to the central station and walk from there (or take the S-train one short trip to Vesterport)

Or take the metro to Nørreport and change to any southbound S-train and exit at Vesterport.

I would probably combine the Frederiksborg Palace trip with a trip to Hamlets Kronborg Castle.

Edited by Danish viking

We will be arriving in Copenhagen four days before our cruise on the Regal Princess. Is there an advantage in ordering the Copenhagen Card ahead of time to be picked up at the airport desk, rather than just buying it at the airport? Is there a difference in price?  

37 minutes ago, ejf1600 said:

We will be arriving in Copenhagen four days before our cruise on the Regal Princess. Is there an advantage in ordering the Copenhagen Card ahead of time to be picked up at the airport desk, rather than just buying it at the airport? Is there a difference in price?  

Just as another optIon, you can now download the Copenhagen card app, and have a mobile Copenhagen Card on your phone.