Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

Danish viking, thank you SO much for this thread and your helpful replies.  

My husband and I are in Copenhagen for 4 nights before our September 3 cruise departure.  We'd really like to make a day trip to Stevns Klint.  My research so far has left me a little confused about the best way to get there and back again.  Must we rent a car? We'd rather not if there is a reasonable alternative but  I understand from the Stevns Klint website that a shuttle bus that ran last year is not running this year, so I am not sure about the best way to go.

Beth

4 hours ago, ejf1600 said:

We will be arriving in Copenhagen four days before our cruise on the Regal Princess. Is there an advantage in ordering the Copenhagen Card ahead of time to be picked up at the airport desk, rather than just buying it at the airport? Is there a difference in price?  

Other than a slight line-up, I had no problem buying the card at the airport. You would be in the same line if you had pre-paid. 

If if you ARE ordering on-line, make sure you change the currency to DKK (Danish Kroner). When I checked the price defaulted to Euros, and when I started checking exchange rates for the various currencies they weren’t very good when I compared with rates from XE. The DKK price is the same online and in person. 

And just to make sure, I assume you know to always choose local currency if given the choice on a credit card terminal. Usually they show your home currency as number 1 and local as number 2. 

3 hours ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

Just as another optIon, you can now download the Copenhagen card app, and have a mobile Copenhagen Card on your phone.

I have been using the card a lot. The physical card is much easier for me. It has to be scanned at every attraction, showed on every bus, and I was checked on each of my train trips. 

On 7/17/2019 at 6:45 AM, Afterward said:

Danish viking, thank you SO much for this thread and your helpful replies.  

My husband and I are in Copenhagen for 4 nights before our September 3 cruise departure.  We'd really like to make a day trip to Stevns Klint.  My research so far has left me a little confused about the best way to get there and back again.  Must we rent a car? We'd rather not if there is a reasonable alternative but  I understand from the Stevns Klint website that a shuttle bus that ran last year is not running this year, so I am not sure about the best way to go.

Beth

Stevns klint is very large so if you both want to visit the church that has nearly collapsed into the water or the military installation (Stevns Fortet), Mandehoved or the quarry it is way better to do it by car. 

There is a bus from Køge to Mandehoved but the walk to the other places will simply be to long. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:49 AM, ejf1600 said:

We will be arriving in Copenhagen four days before our cruise on the Regal Princess. Is there an advantage in ordering the Copenhagen Card ahead of time to be picked up at the airport desk, rather than just buying it at the airport? Is there a difference in price?  

There should be no difference so just buy it at arrival at the airport. 

When you exit the baggage claim area you will find the information desk on your left hand. 

Hi Danish Viking,  Thank you for all the valuable information. I have a question for you.

Where is the best location to watch the changing of the guards?

We will be in Copenhagen in October and from the information I have found it seems the Royal Family may be in Amalienborg Palace at that time. I would love to see the changing of the guards while I am there.

We are staying in Nyvahn so we will be really close to the palace.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, SAS21 said:

Hi Danish Viking,  Thank you for all the valuable information. I have a question for you.

Where is the best location to watch the changing of the guards?

We will be in Copenhagen in October and from the information I have found it seems the Royal Family may be in Amalienborg Palace at that time. I would love to see the changing of the guards while I am there.

We are staying in Nyvahn so we will be really close to the palace.

Thanks!

Normally there won't be to crowded so it should be possible to get a good spot no matter when you are coming. 

There is a little bit more info here. 

http://www.kongernessamling.dk/en/amalienborg/palacesquare/

Hello - what an amazing thread this is! Thank you!

We will be taking a few days before our cruise to explore Copenhagen. Our cruise ends on a Sunday morning, docking at 7am. We are considering a SAS Airlines 12:20pm flight home (a direct flight to the US) that same day but I wanted to know if this is realistic. I don't know how long it would take to disembark (we are able to carry our own luggage), go through customs, and get to the airport. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

2 hours ago, ADBark said:

Our cruise ends on a Sunday morning, docking at 7am. We are considering a SAS Airlines 12:20pm flight 

Not a problem at all - last time I were at the airport before 9 by train from Østerport to the Airport

Ships are normally cleared quite fast - do not expect customs. 

Taxi from cruise port (assuming Oceankaj) to Airport is 30 minutes a Sunday morning. You just have to be at the airport by 10.

Hello Danish Viking! I just read through the 15 pages here looking for information, to get from the Copenhagen Airport to First Hotel Kong Fredrik. I thought someone may have already asked, but didn't see anything. We would prefer using the train, if we could just got on the train at the Airport and off at a train station close to the Hotel. An estimate of the walking distance from the train station to the Hotel would be very helpful, too. Also, is there any chance of getting a bus from around the Hotel Kong Fredrik area straight to Copenhagen Ocean Quay cruise dock? We can always use a taxi either time - if it is too complicated. Thank you for your help!  

On 6/23/2019 at 3:06 PM, Danish viking said:

There was 2 huuuge ships in port at Oceankaj today (MSC Meraviglia and Regal Princess). 

My and my brother took a trip out there 3-4 hours before departure and my observation was that the number of taxis was plenty and the busses rather empty. 

Hi Danish Viking:

Thanks so much for this information.  I just read all 15 pages and I have a few questions.  

You said in the above quote that the taxis were plenty and  buses were rather empty.  Did you mean there were plenty of taxis and few buses or empty buses that no one was using?

We are arriving on September 4 on the Celebrity Reflection and will be in Oceankaj port from 10am to 6pm.  We plan on taking bus 25 to Norreport and walk to city hall where we will pick up the Free Walking Tour.  Will we be able to make it there for the 11:00 tour?

One more question-  we are buying a SIM card for our phone so we will have data on our phone while we are in Europe.  We downloaded the DOT app to buy bus tickets in Copenhagen and it appears you can only buy one ticket at a time for one person.  Do you have any experience using the app to buy bus tickets?  

Thanks for your response 

21 hours ago, morrisretired said:

Hello Danish Viking! I just read through the 15 pages here looking for information, to get from the Copenhagen Airport to First Hotel Kong Fredrik. I thought someone may have already asked, but didn't see anything. We would prefer using the train, if we could just got on the train at the Airport and off at a train station close to the Hotel. An estimate of the walking distance from the train station to the Hotel would be very helpful, too. Also, is there any chance of getting a bus from around the Hotel Kong Fredrik area straight to Copenhagen Ocean Quay cruise dock? We can always use a taxi either time - if it is too complicated. Thank you for your help!  

Is it this year or next year.

very important info for your traveling plans 🙂

7 hours ago, Boscodog said:

Hi Danish Viking:

Thanks so much for this information.  I just read all 15 pages and I have a few questions.  

You said in the above quote that the taxis were plenty and  buses were rather empty.  Did you mean there were plenty of taxis and few buses or empty buses that no one was using?

We are arriving on September 4 on the Celebrity Reflection and will be in Oceankaj port from 10am to 6pm.  We plan on taking bus 25 to Norreport and walk to city hall where we will pick up the Free Walking Tour.  Will we be able to make it there for the 11:00 tour?

One more question-  we are buying a SIM card for our phone so we will have data on our phone while we are in Europe.  We downloaded the DOT app to buy bus tickets in Copenhagen and it appears you can only buy one ticket at a time for one person.  Do you have any experience using the app to buy bus tickets?  

Thanks for your response 

For the first question.

Yes plenty of taxies and yes plenty of busses but they where maybe only 30% filled up.

If you can make it to the 10:20 bus 25 departure to Nørreport (end of the line) you can make it, else you will be to late.

You have the options to walk the 15 minutes to Rådhuspladsen or take bus 6A towards Rødovrehallen and get off at Rådhuspladsen.

No sorry I haven´t used the App because I use a travel card similar to Londons Oystercard so I can´t help you with that.

1 hour ago, Danish viking said:

Is it this year or next year.

very important info for your traveling plans 🙂

We are traveling this year to Copenhagen on Celebrity Reflection.  It appears we are the only Reflection cruise coming into Oceankaj, as all the others are docking in Langeline.

1 hour ago, Danish viking said:

For the first question.

Yes plenty of taxies and yes plenty of busses but they where maybe only 30% filled up.

If you can make it to the 10:20 bus 25 departure to Nørreport (end of the line) you can make it, else you will be to late.

You have the options to walk the 15 minutes to Rådhuspladsen or take bus 6A towards Rødovrehallen and get off at Rådhuspladsen.

No sorry I haven´t used the App because I use a travel card similar to Londons Oystercard so I can´t help you with that.

Will it be quicker to take bus 6A or walk.  Will we have to pay another fare to take the second bus.? 

No the bus ticket is the same and is valid for 1 hour.

The arrival time by bus will only be 2 minutes earlier but that is because the waiting time at Nørreport for the 6A bus, also notice that they don´t depart from the same bus stop at Nørreport.

25 departs from where the 184 and 185 (and the others) departs from, I´m not sure if the drop off place is the same but you get a roughly idea of where to catch 6A towards Rødovrehallen.

https://dinoffentligetransport.dk/media/1464/noerreport.pdf

Danish Viking,

We were wondering if Sriracha sauce (a hot chili sauce - in the US supermarkets in the Oriental section) is available at grocery stores in Copenhagen?  We have a long cruise and my husband needs some spice for the bland ship food😀  I would like to avoid weighing down my suitcase with a bottle from the US.

Many thanks for all your help in planning our trip.

23 hours ago, Boscodog said:

We are traveling this year to Copenhagen on Celebrity Reflection.  It appears we are the only Reflection cruise coming into Oceankaj, as all the others are docking in Langeline.

Damn, I hoped you said next year, that would have been easier. 🙂

But take the airport train to the central station. 

Then its a 10 minute walk to the hotel past Tivoli and town hall square. 

Getting to Oceankaj its actually easier to walk to Nørreport and take bus 25 from there.

Google says that trip takes 9 minutes on foot. 

4 hours ago, DLSHS_Mom said:

Danish Viking,

We were wondering if Sriracha sauce (a hot chili sauce - in the US supermarkets in the Oriental section) is available at grocery stores in Copenhagen?  We have a long cruise and my husband needs some spice for the bland ship food😀  I would like to avoid weighing down my suitcase with a bottle from the US.

Many thanks for all your help in planning our trip.

I have now done a search on 2 major chains (COOP and Netto) and they both have it and COOP had it in many versions. 

COOP are Fakta, Superbrugsen, Irma and others. 

2 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

I have now done a search on 2 major chains (COOP and Netto) and they both have it and COOP had it in many versions. 

COOP are Fakta, Superbrugsen, Irma and others. 

Many thanks.....my husband is sooo happy!!!  Your thread is so helpful.

20 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Tell me where tour hotel is and I can pinpoint the nearest store. 

Danish Viking,   We will be staying at the Scandic Copenhagen.  We plan to go shopping for sundries (shampoo etc) and wine in addition to my husband Sriracha sauce.  Many thanks

11 minutes ago, DLSHS_Mom said:

Danish Viking,   We will be staying at the Scandic Copenhagen.  We plan to go shopping for sundries (shampoo etc) and wine in addition to my husband Sriracha sauce.  Many thanks

Google Maps is your friend.  There is an Irma 2 blocks from your hotel - corner of Ved Vesterport and Hammerichsgade.

Hi -- we're sailing August 2020, departing from Copenhagen with a 4-5 night pre-cruise stay (the ship sails one-way to NYC).  Any chance that a site like this will be done with 2020 information and updates? 

Edited by Wyoming2010