Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

10 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

There are also bus trips that focuses only on Frederiksborg Palace and Kronborg Castle.

Its also easy to do both with the train and probably much cheaper.

Is it possible to do Frederiksborg Palace, Roskilde Cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum in one day by train/bus? I know that Rick Steves has a day trip that does that plus the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, but he is assuming that the Cathedral opens at 9, when it opens at 10. As far as I can see, with the exception of the Louisiana museum (which I wouldn't mind seeing for the setting - less so for the art), everything else is open 10 - 17 in July when I will be there, and you have to come back to Copenhagen from Roskilde to get to Frederiksborg. The 2 days I'm looking at are Sunday or Tuesday; (and maybe Wednesday but that is sail away day). Am I better off to do Frederiksborg Sunday morning, then come back to Copenhagen and do stuff there, and go to Roskilde on Tuesday? I will have a Copenhagen card for all the days I am in town.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would split it up so you have Frederiksborg and Louisiana on one day and Roskilde with the Cathedral and Viking ship museum on the other day. 

If you have time in Roskilde then I would add Ragnarock music museum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I read up the wonderful info in this Copenhagen thread, and looked up the City Pass website, and would like to confirm with the local experts here: City Pass Small is good enough for trips between CPH airport (or downtown Indre By) and OceanKaj cruise port, but I should get the City Pass Large if I plan to go to Frederiksborg Castle.

I plan to buy the City Pass on arrival at CPH airport (I read that you can buy online and they send you SMS to your cellphone, but I am not sure if I'll have data reception in Copenhagen, also not sure if I could stack 4 passes in one cell phone for the family).

Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I assumed "Hamlet" had something to do with it.  :classic_smile:  (Thanks for being a teacher.  Totally underappreciated in our country.) 

I'll throw one more thing out there, if you have an entire day.  What we actually did was take a fully day tour outside Copenhagen with Hamlet Tours (yup, that's their name).  Their "Grand Day Trip Around Copenhagen" visits Kronborg Castle, Frederiksborg Palace, the Viking Museum, and Roskilde Cathedral.   It's a long day, and they really are squeezing a lot in (and certainly one could easily use more time at each stop), but unless you think you'll be back to Denmark any time soon, it's a way to see several fabulous sites.  (I have to say, they spent more time at Kronborg than my wife and I would have allocated to it, given the other sites.)

https://hamlettours.com/grand-day-trip-around-copenhagen/

This sounds interesting!  Hits all the items.  We are staying 2 days in Copenhagen after finishing our cruise in mid-May.  Might be less hassle doing this for a day and then just walking around in Copenhagen for a day, then dealing with buses and trains on our own.   We are staying at the Crowne Plaza near the airport since we leave for home early in the AM.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the new Wakeup Copenhagen, Bernstorffsgade that opened in 2018? I have it booked for one night before my upcoming July cruise and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand insight or reviews of it? (Any local buzz about the property would also be appreciated!)  

48 minutes ago, janabanana1701 said:

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the new Wakeup Copenhagen, Bernstorffsgade that opened in 2018? I have it booked for one night before my upcoming July cruise and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand insight or reviews of it? (Any local buzz about the property would also be appreciated!)  

What I gather from the reviews are this.

Small Rooms.

Large pillows (maybe to large).

Hard madrasses.

Good but expensive breakfast.

Friendly staff.

Cleaning is mostly spot on, there is a few bad examples but they are very few.

Most people seems to like the location.

5 hours ago, tyrannosaur said:

Hi, I read up the wonderful info in this Copenhagen thread, and looked up the City Pass website, and would like to confirm with the local experts here: City Pass Small is good enough for trips between CPH airport (or downtown Indre By) and OceanKaj cruise port, but I should get the City Pass Large if I plan to go to Frederiksborg Castle.

I plan to buy the City Pass on arrival at CPH airport (I read that you can buy online and they send you SMS to your cellphone, but I am not sure if I'll have data reception in Copenhagen, also not sure if I could stack 4 passes in one cell phone for the family).

Thanks in advance!

You are correct about the coverage.

If you buy it at the airport I think its valid from the time of purchase.

Hello. I am grateful for all the help that is provided here! I hope I am posting in the correct area : )

I am looking for suggestions because our time is so limited. We arrive CPH  this summer approximately 10 am  and our cruise ship departs 5pm the next day.  We plan on staying at The Andersen and utilizing taxis for transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise ship.

We are thinking about a walking tour, canal boat ride and Tivoli, but would appreciate any recommendations and when to do them. Thank you.

If you are not to tired the first day then its a good idea to maybe get dinner in Tivoli (or Tivoli Food Hall) around 19:00 or 20:00. 

Then after dinner you can enjoy Tivoli as it gets darker and all the lights will be ok display. 

But remember if it's a Friday then there will be a huge concert in Tivoli, we have that each Friday. 

Your hotel is not long away from the town hall square where most walking tour starts. 

So if there is one early enough on the Saturday then its probably a good idea to do that early on Saturday. 

Then return to your hotel and get a taxi from there. 

The canal tour can be combined with a walk a long Strøget, One if the longest pedestrian Streets in the world. 

You can walk from your hotel walk a long Strøget. 

When you come to Højbro Plads you turn left a little bit until you reach Rundetårn (the round tower). 

Then you walk back to Strøget, continue to Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn from where the canal tours departs. 

Then after that head back a long Strøget to Tivoli. 

If the new metro line is open at that time you can take the metro back if you don't want to walk anymore. 🙂

The metro is supposed to open in the start of July. 

5 hours ago, Danish viking said:

The metro is supposed to open in the start of July. 

I hope so! I haven't seen anything except July; this is the first that anyone says the start of the month.

17 hours ago, Danish viking said:

What I gather from the reviews are this.

Small Rooms.

Large pillows (maybe to large).

Hard madrasses.

Good but expensive breakfast.

Friendly staff.

Cleaning is mostly spot on, there is a few bad examples but they are very few.

Most people seems to like the location.

Thank you Danish viking! I appreciate your reply and all the wonderfully helpful information you have provided through "Wonderful Copenhagen 2019"!! 

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I hope so! I haven't seen anything except July; this is the first that anyone says the start of the month.

Maybe I have misunderstood something.

Lets just say July 🙂 

I just hope I haven´t jinxed it now.

42 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

Maybe I have misunderstood something.

Lets just say July 🙂 

I just hope I haven´t jinxed it now.

There may be different information in Danish than what I could find in English. Who knows!

They have been building an underground section of an LRT that will run more or less from my house to my work. It has been messing up my commute for a number of years. The opening date has already moved by a couple of years, and the latest date is Sept 2021, just past my retirement date in July. And, to be honest, I'm pretty sure that it won't open on time. So believe me, I won't hold you to any date!

It is already delayed by 1 year so lets hope that there won´t be more delays.

There are some critical deadlines coming up in April regarding the testing of the system and trains and some minor constructions so lets see at that time what they´ll report.

Its work at the stations like decoration, escalators etc that are missing at some stations.

But the prime minister and some other people took a ride from the control and maintenance center to Gammel Strand a few days ago so that should be a good sign.

• Like 1

Hello fellow cruisers, could someone please tell me where the Aurora Docks in Copenhagen and Stockholm.  I'm new to P&O and also to cruising the Baltics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thank You.

Sandra

Thank you for the reply Danish Viking for the pier info.  Could you please tell me if there are taxis or tours offered around the port?  Thanks again for any info.  I really want to do the canal tour.  

Sandra

16 hours ago, smarks said:

I really want to do the canal tour.  

If  you do a search in this forum, or even on the internet more generally, you'll find recommendations for the several canal tour companies that operate out of Nyhavn.  (Some may also have another departure location.)  I believe the main competitors are Stromma and Netto-Badene.  A company operating smaller boats is Hey Captain.  (We had a wonderful Canal tour in August with Stromma.)

16 hours ago, smarks said:

Thank you for the reply Danish Viking for the pier info.  Could you please tell me if there are taxis or tours offered around the port?  Thanks again for any info.  I really want to do the canal tour.  

Sandra

All Hoho busses stops at langelinie or else bus 26 will get you to central Copenhagen in no time and Nyhavn is a short 20-30 minute walk away from the pier.

23 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

If  you do a search in this forum, or even on the internet more generally, you'll find recommendations for the several canal tour companies that operate out of Nyhavn.  (Some may also have another departure location.)  I believe the main competitors are Stromma and Netto-Badene.  A company operating smaller boats is Hey Captain.  (We had a wonderful Canal tour in August with Stromma.)

Stromma (called Canal Tours Copenhagen) and Netto-Badene are included with the Copenhagen card, and both have locations at Nyhavn. Netto-Badene normally charges half as much for what Rick Steves considers to be the same cruise, but with the card you can choose whichever one is more convenient at the time.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thank you for the info.  Now that I know where we will be docking, it will make it easier to find more info.  I will check out both of your recommendations. 

8 hours ago, Danish viking said:

All Hoho busses stops at langelinie or else bus 26 will get you to central Copenhagen in no time and Nyhavn is a short 20-30 minute walk away from the pier.

Thank you again for some good info Danish Viking.  That's what I was looking for.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, Danish viking said:

We are docking in August at Lagelinie.   I would like to take the bus 26 into the train station/Tivoli area in order to save time and then work our way back to Langeline on foot.  I understand the bus doesn't take credit cards and I don't  need the short 24 hour pass as I am only planning to use the bus one time.  So my question is where can I get (ATM/Ticket Booth etc) the 24 Kroners (for 2 people)  so we can ride the bus the one way?  

If you can't get Kroner on your ship I only see 2 options. 

See if the shops on the pier are willing to charge extra on the card m, but then you need to buy something. 

Or walk to Østerport station where a ATM is available and then take the bus from there. 

@Danish viking Thanks for your help. I have booked a ticket to Hailey Tuck at the Jazz Festival (last night). It is also in a very convenient location for me; about a 15 minute walk from the Hotel Bethel.

Do you know how free concerts work? I'm kind of interested in the Kansas City Stompers on July 13 at Krogers Have, but I don't see anything on their website yet. How early do you book? Will there be other free evening concerts (since they certainly don't have a full concert listing yet)? Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

@Danish viking Thanks for your help. I have booked a ticket to Hailey Tuck at the Jazz Festival (last night). It is also in a very convenient location for me; about a 15 minute walk from the Hotel Bethel.

Do you know how free concerts work? I'm kind of interested in the Kansas City Stompers on July 13 at Krogers Have, but I don't see anything on their website yet. How early do you book? Will there be other free evening concerts (since they certainly don't have a full concert listing yet)? Thanks in advance.

Is it Kongens Have?, if yes that the royal park surrounding Rosenborg Palace. 

The free concerts are just open sir stages located around the city. 

It can change from year to year but generally they use Nyhavn, Town Hall square and Tivoli.

The concerts that costs money are usually in Tivoli Concert hall, Koncerthuset at DR Byen, Operaen and other venues like that, perhaps Pumpehuset, Vega and Amager Bio is used as well but I'm not sure about that. 

But the full lineups should be around the corner, Roskilde Festival that is located a week or so before Copenhagen Jazz Festival is announcing their full lineup by the end of this month.