Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

Marathon May 19th 2019 update

Central Copenhagen will host the marathon on may 19th. You can see the route here and traffic info here: https://copenhagenmarathon.dk/en/traffic-information/ 

You can cross the route on foot/bike (provided you can get past the runners!), so you should be able to move around the city on the day.

The marathon means that bus lines in the centre will be diverted/cancelled most of the day. All other forms of public transport (metro, s-train, train, harbour bus) will operate like a normal Sunday

Getting to Oceankaj

Folke Bernadottesvej will be open in both directions. This means, as far as I can tell, that you can get bus 25 or 27 from Østerport station to Oceankaj. You can take the S-train to Østerport from Copenhagen central or Nørreport station (same single ticket; 24 DKK). I am unsure that bus 25 will continue to Nørreport. I don't think so. Folke Bernadottesvej will also be open for cars, so you can take a taxi there from parts of the centre. In other parts of the centre your taxi may need to take a detour west (via Bispeengbuen) out of the centre.

Getting to/from the airport

Metro and trains to the airport run as usual.

Taxis can exit the city south (via Kalvebod Brygge) or east (via Torvegade), so that shouldn't be a big problem, although trafic may run less smoothly than what it usually does on a Sunday.

The runners start at 9.30 AM and the last joggers are expected to finish around 3.45PM. Everything should be back to normal at 4PM. Start and finish line is at Islands Brygge

If you check www.journeyplanner.dk a warning triangle probably means that the bus route is diverted/cancelled.

Edited by frederik123456

On 5/11/2019 at 6:06 PM, Gracelovescruising said:

Dear Danish Viking,

You helped me three years ago with a couple of questions for a Baltic Cruise and again coming for Norwegian Fjords in a few days time! I would appreciate your help again so very much! Thank you😉

(1)  On Sunday 19th May I need to get from the Skt Petri Hotel in København to Ocean Kai , could you please guide me on transport, was hoping to get bus/train. I was trying to calculate taxi costs but was not successful in finding out.

(2)  On Sunday 26th May I need to get from Ocean Kai to Absalon Hotel in København

Many thanks in advance, really appreciate it.

Grace

According to Rejseplanen.dk the shortest trip is to walk to Nørreport and take bus 25 from there.

The bus departs at 00, 20 and 40th minute past the hour.

To Absalon you just take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and change to any southbound S-train from here (Towards Køge Line A, Høje Taastrup Line B or Frederikssund/Ballerup line C or H)

20 hours ago, jemz1949 said:

Would you please provide proper, expected tipping protocal in Copenhagen?  taxi drivers? bellmen?  waiters? Thank you.

As a general rule they don´t expect to be tipped but maybe the sight of and American change that 🙂  

Normally I don´t have cash on me and I always says no when the machine ask me if I want to.

But you don´t offend anyone if you offer to tip and they will happily accept it but their salery is not depended on tipping.

But when I´m abroad and pay in local cash I would probably just round up, so if the bill is 20 euro and I pay with a 20 note I would probably just give them the rest.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, jemz1949 said:

Would you please provide proper, expected tipping protocal in Copenhagen?  taxi drivers? bellmen?  waiters? Thank you.

6 hours ago, Danish viking said:

As a general rule they don´t expect to be tipped but maybe the sight of and American change that 🙂  

We spent several nights last summer at the Scandic Palace Hotel in Copenhagen.  As is our normal practice each morning when we stay in a hotel, we left a tip on the bed for the housekeeper before leaving our room for the day.  When we returned, the money had been placed on the nightstand.   For us, this was the first time staying anywhere in the world where this had happened.   

OMG -- this thread is exactly what I was looking for.  We are currently booked on two Northern European cruises next year (Princess and HAL), but may stick with HAL as it is cheaper and does round-trip from Copenhagen. 

I confess, I have not read through this whole thread yet (but will), so I apologize if the following two topics have been covered:

Question:  can you take a train or ferry to other countries from Copenhagen?  Since we are not splitting the departure and returning ports anymore, we will be staying in Copenhagen pre and post cruise and we'd like to see if we can get to other areas while in Copenhagen. 

Also, any hotel recommendations that can accommodate three adults are most appreciated.  Thanks much. 

Edited by Wyoming2010

On 5/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, jemz1949 said:

I personally think that tipping the waiter at a restaurant (maybe just by letting them keep the change) is a nice thing to do if you received good service. Waiters are paid a living wage, but their wages are usually not that high. That being said, there's nothing wrong with not tipping at all.

1 hour ago, Wyoming2010 said:

Question:  can you take a train or ferry to other countries from Copenhagen?  Since we are not splitting the departure and returning ports anymore, we will be staying in Copenhagen pre and post cruise and we'd like to see if we can get to other areas while in Copenhagen. 

Yes, you can.

There's an overnight ferry to Oslo, operated by DFDS. There are direct trains from Copenhagen to Stockholm, Gothenburg, Hamburg (this does temporarily require a change, and possibly a replacement bus ride due to construction work) and many towns in southern Sweden. From Copenhagen, you can also take the train to most corners of Denmark - so there are many options!

Thanks in advance for all of the contributions to this Board.  Is making me very comfortable with our upcoming trip. 

A few more questions regarding our June 2 sailing on Serenade of the Seas returning June 9 that.  

1) we are arriving Copenhagen two days early and staying at the Anderson Boutique Hotel  We are looking for a restaurant for dinner close to our hotel with local food. We are considering  Frk. Bamers Kaelder .  Any thoughts on this restaurant ?  Other suggestions near our hotel for a Danish dinner?

2) Upon arrival we are meeting friends at CPH airport.  We are scheduled to arrive 30 mins earlier on British Air.  Friends will be arriving on Icelandair.  Any suggestions where best to meet?  Baggage Claim?  Gate?  Passport/customs? 

3) Danish Viking previously let us know that our ship will be first arriving at  Oceankaj terminal on June 9 (scheduled for 7 am).  Assuming we are off by 8 am and not too long a line to get a taxi, how long a ride to airport can we expect on a Sunday morning? 

Happy cruising to all!

1) I haven't heard about this one but their Bamers Gryde and Vesterhavsrødspætte looks wonderful.

Also their reviews on Google are rather good. 

But else you have some options in nearby Tivoli as well but you then have to add the entrance fee. 

2) my best option would be the baggage claim area. 

There are lots of benches to sit down and there is a 7/Eleven to get a coffew or a snack while you are waiting. 

3) expect around 30-35 minutes.

I'm sorry to report that there will be no metro line opening this cruise season. 

Opening of thd City Circle line has been postponed to the end of September. 

So its not as bad as Londons Crossrail or Amsterdams North-South line but. 

But next year the metro will reach almost halfway out to Oceankaj. 

I expect that bus 25 and 27 will make a stop at either Orientkaj station(end of the line) or Nordhavn ststion on the way to Østerport or Nørreport. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

I'm sorry to report that there will be no metro line opening this cruise season. 

Opening of the City Circle line has been postponed to the end of September. 

Disappointing but good to know.

I have a few questions that hopefully you can answer. My husband and I will be arriving in Copenhagen late in the afternoon on 26 Aug, sailing on 28 Aug. We will be staying at the Scandic Palace Hotel for two nights. We will have another day in Copenhagen on 8 Sep. We are in our mid 60s, my husband had a stroke a few years ago, and has recovered very well, but walks with a cane. He is just a little wobbly; otherwise he has no issue.

So my questions are:

What is the best way to get from the airport to the Scandic? and what would be the estimated price. I am a little nervous about taking the train with our luggage (probably 2 suitcases and 2 carryone). Do you think it is sensible?

What about transport from the hotel to the Regal Princess? What is your recommendation?

And finally, what do you recommend for us to do with two full days in Copenhagen? What would you consider the not-to-be-missed things for two people in their 60s? Despite our age and slight mobility challenge, we can fit quite a bit into one day. I just don't know what would make the best use of our limited time in Copenhagen.

You are an amazing gift to all of us cruisers. Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with very helpful information.

The easy answer will be to take a taxi.

As long as the metro station at Rådhuspladsen (where your hotel is) is not open then there is a bit of a walk from the Central station when you have to carry luggage around.

But as I just reported it will probably first open by the end of September.

The same answer apply for the second question, you will have to carry your luggage from the hotel to either Vesterport or the central station and then change to a bus at Østerport.

You are looking at a 10 minute walk to both stations.

Ohh what to see 🙂

With only 2 days I would stick to Copenhagen and not go the viking ship museum or Frederiksborg Palace/Kronborg castle.

But there is plenty to do in Copenhagen.

The national museum

Glyptoteket.

Rundetaarn

Canal tour

Rosenborg with the crown jewels

Amalienborg for the changing of the guards at noon.

Blue Planet Aquarium

The Zoo (now with pandas)

Torvehallerne food market

And probably lots of stuff that I have forgotten.

13 hours ago, Danish viking said:

1) I haven't heard about this one but their Bamers Gryde and Vesterhavsrødspætte looks wonderful.

Also their reviews on Google are rather good. 

But else you have some options in nearby Tivoli as well but you then have to add the entrance fee. 

2) my best option would be the baggage claim area. 

There are lots of benches to sit down and there is a 7/Eleven to get a coffew or a snack while you are waiting. 

3) expect around 30-35 minutes.

Thank you so much Danish Viking for your assistance and  the menu suggestions 🙂 

4 hours ago, Danish viking said:

The national museum

Glyptoteket.

Rundetaarn

Canal tour

Blue Planet Aquarium

I would like to add the Marble Church, which is simply beautiful.  And quite close to Amalienborg.

Hello @DanishViking 

your advice is always excellent. 

We arriving into CPH on Sept 3 and will mostly likely have the Copenhagen Card that we will need to pick up upon arrival. We will be 3 adults heading to Absalon hotel could you please advise the best route? We were thinking the metro? 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, I_am_a_Dane said:

Yes, you can.

There's an overnight ferry to Oslo, operated by DFDS. There are direct trains from Copenhagen to Stockholm, Gothenburg, Hamburg (this does temporarily require a change, and possibly a replacement bus ride due to construction work) and many towns in southern Sweden. From Copenhagen, you can also take the train to most corners of Denmark - so there are many options!

This is great to know.  Is there a website I can find these connecting ferries and trains so I can plan ahead. 

This is great to know.  Is there a website I can find these connecting ferries and trains so I can plan ahead. 

For the ferry its dfdsseaways.com  and for trains its DSB.dk.

Edited by Danish viking

2 hours ago, lhuggi1 said:

Hello @DanishViking 

your advice is always excellent. 

We arriving into CPH on Sept 3 and will mostly likely have the Copenhagen Card that we will need to pick up upon arrival. We will be 3 adults heading to Absalon hotel could you please advise the best route? We were thinking the metro? 

Well as talked about earlier the M3 and M4 metro line doesn't open until the end of September but it would have been a detour anyway. 

Simply just take the airport train (Øresundstog) from the airport to København H (Central station) and walk the few 100 meters to the hotel. 

In addition to what Danish Viking said:

For trains to Germany (jointly operated by the Danish DSB and German DB), book with www.bahn.com

For trains to Southern Sweden and Gothenburg: Find timetables and ticket prices on www.journeyplanner.dk (choose "Find connections: To/From Skåne") or www.skanetrafiken.se - buy your ticket at the station

SJ (Swedish train operator, express trains to Stockholm and Gothenburg): www.sj.se

On 5/21/2019 at 5:28 PM, Danish viking said:

The easy answer will be to take a taxi.

As long as the metro station at Rådhuspladsen (where your hotel is) is not open then there is a bit of a walk from the Central station when you have to carry luggage around.

But as I just reported it will probably first open by the end of September.

The same answer apply for the second question, you will have to carry your luggage from the hotel to either Vesterport or the central station and then change to a bus at Østerport.

You are looking at a 10 minute walk to both stations.

Ohh what to see 🙂

With only 2 days I would stick to Copenhagen and not go the viking ship museum or Frederiksborg Palace/Kronborg castle.

The national museum

Glyptoteket.

Rundetaarn

Canal tour

Blue Planet Aquarium

Thanks for your info on transport. Since I'm not familiar with Copenhagen at all, it is too easy for me to misunderstand metro vs trains vs bus stops. From what you've said, I think we'll have to bite the bullet and take taxis. 10 minutes walking with several suitcases in a city we don't know is probably a bit too much for us.

I was all set to go to Frederiksborg Palace -- it looks beautiful. But I''ll definitely check out your suggestions. There's just so many things to do. Do you recommend Tivoli Gardens? Is it mostly rides,? Are the gardens nice? I believe Tivoli is quite close to our hotel. I'm so glad to have your assistance. Thanks again! 

If Frederiksborg Palace is really something you want to see then I think you should go. 

And yes, Tivoli is more than just the rides. 

I usually don't try any of then when I'm going there but that its mostly because I don't like scary rides 🙂

I also have a quick question about taking public transit from the cruise port to get to the city center (Nyhavn).  From the port, I believe we have to take a bus to the metro station, and then take the metro to the city center.  Can we purchase bus tickets on the bus without dkk? If not, can we pre-purchase bus tickets at the airport for use in 2 weeks? Also, can the same ticket for the bus be used for the metro? As in do I need to get 2 tickets?

Edited by Piyley