Coco Cay

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Probably because most newer ships don't outfit any of their ships with Tender lifeboats like the older ships had. We were in St. Maartan this week and of the four ships in port, only the Celebrity Summit had Tenders.

I don't know about that. We were on the DCL Magic both times, and this has been over a decade ago. The wind was going to cause too much pull on the pier. They cannot dock in windy conditions. The seas, however, were calm enough that tenders could have worked, according to the Captain, but they just weren't set up for it, or something like that. Like I said, I just want to dispel the myth that once the pier is done, issues will go away. 

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Probably because most newer ships don't outfit any of their ships with Tender lifeboats like the older ships had. We were in St. Maartan this week and of the four ships in port, only the Celebrity Summit had Tenders.

I have been cruising for 30 years.  Age of ship of has nothing to do if it is has tender lifeboats.  In fact the first time I saw a a tender lifeboat arout 10 or 15 years ago on a new ship for that time.  It is up to whims of the cruise lines.  Also Celebrity Edge just launched with tender lifeboats.

8 hours ago, SRF said:

HMMMMMM, I thought that Perfect Day was supposed to be completed in May.  😄

A source said zero hope for this

8 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I just hope it is completed by October!

I've been told end of 2019 still unlikely for full completion

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If not, heads will roll. There are many  larger ships scheduled to stop there as early as May.   We have a mid May Harmony cruise scheduled to stop there. 

Yep....

brace yourselves for the hundreds of "Not So Perfect Day"  threads here on CC about wanting a refund.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gatour said:

I have been cruising for 30 years.  Age of ship of has nothing to do if it is has tender lifeboats.  In fact the first time I saw a a tender lifeboat arout 10 or 15 years ago on a new ship for that time.  It is up to whims of the cruise lines.  Also Celebrity Edge just launched with tender lifeboats.

I didn't say they didn't, I just said it was no longer common for new ships to be fit out with tender boats. Ships that are designed to sail routinely to ports without piers (like Celebrity) are well served by having tender boats.

15 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

A source said zero hope for this

I've been told end of 2019 still unlikely for full completion

Yep....

brace yourselves for the hundreds of "Not So Perfect Day"  threads here on CC about wanting a refund.

You make a good prediction.  We are scheduled for  Coco Cay on May 13 and a "perfect day"  for me is just the original old beach.  At the very least, we will need a pier  as we will be on Harmony.  If we miss it, I don't need or expect  a refund as we've missed it plenty of times in the past. 

M

53 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yep....

Not from me.  Actually I was thinking of someone else mad at RCL that something wasn't "as indicated."  And expected it to be exactly what the first expectation was when the reservation was made.  Not sure how that person would handle Coco Cay ("I'm not getting off until the dock is finished?")

Edited by parrotfeathers

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Feel exactly the same.  Theme park score one...Mother Nature zero.  😞  Heading there in a couple of days on EN.  Will not be spending as much time on the island as we would in the past.  Lost our favorite thing to do, nature trail to other end.  Sad.  

We were there last week, too. I always loved walking the trails to be away from all of the hubbub of the main area. There were speakers set up to blast music up to the bungalows, so really no peace and quiet at all. The bungalow attendant told me that RCI are "thinking" of reopening the end of the island once construction is complete, but until then it's not the nicest place to be.

And the cat that we always brought treats to is no more. We looked for him and found his grave. 😪

What parts are useable on Coco Cay. We have a cabana in the water park booked for late June. Does the water park not even exist?

Are there other cabanas that are fully constructed that we should think about reserving instead of the water park?

20 minutes ago, colo_mom said:

What parts are useable on Coco Cay. We have a cabana in the water park booked for late June. Does the water park not even exist?

Are there other cabanas that are fully constructed that we should think about reserving instead of the water park?

Yes, there are existing cabanas than are availble for rental.  No idea what name they have been given, but they are near the Wacky Seagull JR bar.

8 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

One last question on completion of the pier/perfect day stuff.  How could RCL be so far off on their predicted completion date?   "Some" people cruising this summer expecting this are going to be awfully upset.

Royal has not publicly shared the various reasons for not making their desired schedule.

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, there are existing cabanas than are availble for rental.  No idea what name they have been given, but they are near the Wacky Seagull JR bar.

I think that these existing one are the Chill Island Cabanas.

Just now, orville99 said:

Which I am assuming was an observation, since St. Maarten is a hard dock port?  

Just now, Envelope21 said:

When we were there last week, it was low tide and you could actually get to that point by walking on the beach. But there was a sign there that says you can't go there and I didn't want to push it. 

Yup, shame.  It used to be such a nice natural area to use.  Will be there in two days...will just walk around a bit and then head back to the ship for lunch.  

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

That is what we loved about Coco Cay. 

Ditto, one of our favorite stops and we made all 3 of our scheduled stays there.  But still excited to see what they do with it.  I would like the Nachi like flavor of a huge pool, swim up bar etc.  as long as the wildness can be found in the water around it.

We go in Sept. on Symphony and our traveling companions have already agreed to split a bungalow.  So I'm crossing fingers they are right on schedule with construction, although, I don't give a fig about the pier, mas nix.

Just now, LrgPizza said:

I don't know about that. We were on the DCL Magic both times, and this has been over a decade ago. The wind was going to cause too much pull on the pier. They cannot dock in windy conditions. The seas, however, were calm enough that tenders could have worked, according to the Captain, but they just weren't set up for it, or something like that. Like I said, I just want to dispel the myth that once the pier is done, issues will go away. 

Have had to miss Labadee once due to high winds.  Plus one other time we were there, the winds came up later and broke one of the forward lines.  Agree...having a hard dock does not guarantee you will make the port.  Have missed Key West twice due to winds.  

Just now, critterchick said:

We were there last week, too. I always loved walking the trails to be away from all of the hubbub of the main area. There were speakers set up to blast music up to the bungalows, so really no peace and quiet at all. The bungalow attendant told me that RCI are "thinking" of reopening the end of the island once construction is complete, but until then it's not the nicest place to be.

And the cat that we always brought treats to is no more. We looked for him and found his grave. 😪

Oh no...poor kitty!  I am always paranoid having a 16 year old fur baby myself.  Wish we could keep them forever.  

Hoping that would be the case, and would open the other end again...but knowing RCI...they will find a way to charge for it.  😞