Entertainment on Discovery.

• 2 weeks later...

hiya redsails9       we were onboard January 24th sailing out of Thailand. there are 2 resident bands,  there is b12 who are  a philippino  5 piece band the lead singer is venus  who is a wonderfull little lady with a massive voice. the other band  is british and they are called entourage   and they are  a4  piece band with a lady  singer who are also good. the show team also do  the odd spot  themselves in the live room on top of the shows they do in the theatre. there is also  a young  Asian 4 tennors group of singers  who sing in the atrium and in the theatre they are also good. there is a chap who sings and plays the piano in the live room. all in all we found the musical entertainment to be very good and wish we were back onboard ship  ime sure you will enjoy.   when do you go 

so  redsails9  the squid and anchor has been done up a bit as far as the furnishings go  it does mostly as before with gameshows and quiz   but the 2 live bands alternate in there   and they have karaoke  as well, but the best room to watch  a live band is the live room.   look out for the band jam which they put on in the live room it is really good and involves all the live musicians.  we are really jelous of you you will have  a great time  do us a favour at the pool bar in the afternoon and in bar 11 at night   say hello to elma the barman  we have known this chap for years  he was always on  marella celebration  but now marella discovery he is a great bloke to know   tell him graham says hiya pal       thanks

Thanks Gramwold,

we have seen B12 before and enjoyed them but not seen the others,

when we was on the discovery last year not to many people used the venue bar so hopefully more will use it now it's been done up, will look out for Elma to say hello to for you I am sure I will get a free drink off him ha ha,

just got to do the dreaded ironing this week

yeah  thanks for that redsails9.  elma got moved on our second week from live room to bar11 but he was always at pool bar on deck 9 in afternoon.   i will do all your ironing  and carry your bags if you can get us back on the ship lol   11 hour flight out is hard but what the heck your on your jollies,  13 hour flight home its a killer,  we could put up with it though, we still sooooooo  jelous

Hi Gramwold,

couple of questions if you don't mind,

in cambodia was the visa easy to sort out did the cost get put on your onboard account,

and also was there anything to see there we are thinking of just getting a tuk tuk and riding round for a hour or so, 

thanks for any info you can give.

redsails9

hiya redsails9   we took us dollers partly to spend in cambodia cos cambodian reals  is  a closed currency, so  no point bringing it back and everyone there take us dollers  but dont change large notes like 20 or 5o dollers unless you buy something for that cos you may get local money back.   it turned out that the ship add the visa money to your on board account in brit pounds it was £24.50 each, so then i had to many us dollers , cabin lad got these.  i looked on line and found a local tour company called  sihanoukville guide tours  its run by a local lady called aya she has  a few guys  as local guides and we ended up in a minibus with 7 of us. it was a good day tour  for  5o us each they will meet at port gate.   see my post called cambodia visa  and currency that i posted in  november i think   cos i was asking the same questions then. in fact i think you have a reply on there. on my post you will see some of the others who joined us on the tour asking me questions. if you need any more info about anything please get in touch, i know its only a away week  so happy cruising   8 months to our next one

Hi Gramwold,

1 last question from me, I see you did the Saigon on your own with marella and we have booked that trip as well,

Was it easy getting around saigon to the main tourist sites or did you need a taxi,

Thanks again for any info.

redsails9. 

Edited by redsails9

saigon was great experience, travel to form was about 1hour 30 guide on bus gives you map and loads of info. drop off and pick up is at bitexco building. air con shops inside and toilets and money exchange. about 4 million scooters on roads in saigon, crazy mad crossing road they even ride on the pavement when there is no more room on the road lol. guide on bus will tell you dont argue with cars,bus or lorries but cross road slowly steadily dont stop and face turned to see the mopeds and they will navigate around you.watch the locals do it, its great fun, no other way to get to other side. we chose to walk to sites, the post office and notre dam cathedral next to each other, not far to war museum, and markets and lots of little places for drink, food and coffee. didnt use taxi  but are cheap,as always agree price and make sure you are talking in dong, but i think they will accept american dollers. you will have  a great time,.  i wish we had longer there. well bon voyarge on wednesday. jammy buggers.   ps   also went to kl on marella bus  as that is a long way too worth it though.