Cruising to Antarctica and South America with many photos

scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Interesting tidbit (source Wikipedia)

The Argentine government took elaborate measures to make Perón's tomb secure. The tomb's marble floor has a trapdoor that leads to a compartment containing two coffins. Under that compartment is a second trapdoor and a second compartment. That is where Perón's coffin rests. Biographers Marysa Navarro and Nicholas Fraser write that the claim is often made that her tomb is so secure that it could withstand a nuclear attack. "It reflects a fear", they write, "a fear that the body will disappear from the tomb and that the woman, or rather the myth of the woman, will reappear."

Our guide shared that story and a number of others including that prior to her burial in La Recoleta her body was removed from Argentina and buried for a number of years in Milan , Italy before being returned to Buenos Aires . 

There were a number of other interesting stories like how this man's wife quit talking to him and she made sure that their statues were facing in opposite directions after burying her husband

IMG_8156_zps0jmbfv0q.jpg

IMG_8157_zpsllkvsnp8.jpg

IMG_8159_zpsclhcnaji.jpg

Boxer Luis Angel Firpo

IMG_8171_zpsrkugq6yn.jpg

This lady was  pronounced dead before being accidentally buried alive

IMG_8205_zpsa2chm04i.jpg

IMG_8222_zpsmyfreeyi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a few more sites before we move on

IMG_8153_zps9vss5rfo.jpg

IMG_8154_zpspxhz9zfe.jpg

IMG_8150_zpsnxqvbqkc.jpg

IMG_8166_zpstqpgiy0q.jpg

IMG_8173_zpstevcb2zy.jpg

IMG_8174_zps7ap3mpfv.jpg

IMG_8180_zpsu1tinxhq.jpg

IMG_8186_zpsheuek4ja.jpg

IMG_8187_zpsmch6j66n.jpg

We saw some great photography on Netflix this morning . It is called Our Planet Episode #2 : Frozen Worlds . The first half was Antarctica and showed whales , killer whales and penguins .

• Like 2

Our guide also took us to some other places that we had not planned . After leaving the cemetery we walked beside it 

DSC07917_zps8o5dmc2y.jpg

past the dog park

DSC05427_zpsiwnaqvhx.jpg

to this place for leather .

DSC05431_zpssnsd77va.jpg

It's funny because we had seen this store on a TV program called  Samantha Brown : Passport to Latin America back in 2007 . They we running the program on their TV screen inside the store which was fine for me since I'm not  the savvy shopper that my wife is . But I did notice some alligator or crocodile bags on the top shelf that reminded me of some things that my mom use to have .

DSC05429_zpsel3ziy50.jpg

While the store smelled like leather bit it looked like money to me

DSC05428%201_zps8hgpxbj7.jpg

I must admit that this jacket looked really good on my wife !

IMG_8227_zpsghxirdtb.jpg

We did buy some things for the kids , grandsons and SIL and DIL .

• Like 2

We also went to the Mercado San Telmo

DSC05457_zpsd8kgicku.jpg

DSC05454_zpstkjv6ggf.jpg

DSC05452_zpsnq8bgcvd.jpg

We didn't buy any of the fruits or vegetables as they would not be allowed on board 

DSC05450_zps9vlbrj2f.jpg

DSC07999_zpsitzzs39c.jpg

These Dulce de Leche stores seemed like they were everywhere

DSC05456_zps7my5btcq.jpg

We could tell that we were nearing Boca

DSC05455_zps5e154og9.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I must confess, I am dreading the day you reach the end of the pics from this trip. I really appreciate the work you and Pat put into this.

Thank you and we appreciate your encouragement . If it's any consolation we do have some more yet before we finish and switch gears . We just did a late booking on the Zuiderdam today for a June cruise with a number of new ports that we need to research .  😊 🙂

iceland_zpsgs81oyqk.png

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:34 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

These Dulce de Leche stores seemed like they were everywhere

DSC05456_zps7my5btcq.jpg

Me thinks this Argie cow is a far cousin, twice removed from the one (below) at "Cows Ice Cream" in Charlottetown, PEI

Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just down from the cathedral is the Plaza de Mayo

IMG_8258_zps4nftse6m.jpg

IMG_8255_zpsfis1xeug.jpg

The Plaza de Mayo is a city square and main foundational site of Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was formed in 1884 after the demolition of the Recova building, unifying the city's Plaza Mayor and Plaza de Armas, by that time known as Plaza de la Victoria and Plaza 25 de Mayo respectively. Wikipedia

The Pyramid de Mayo

IMG_8256_zpskxmtxhds.jpg

The Pirámide de Mayo (Spanish pronunciation: [piˈɾamiðe ðe ˈmaʝo]; English: May Pyramid), located at the hub of the Plaza de Mayo, is the oldest national monument in the City of Buenos Aires. Its construction was ordered in 1811 by the Primera Junta to celebrate the first anniversary of the May Revolution. It is also used as a Spanish project by many middle schoolers and high schoolers who are taking Spanish classes. It was renovated in 1856, under the direction of Prilidiano Pueyrredón. In 1912, after having undergone many modifications, it was moved 63 metres (68.9 yards) to the east, with the idea that a much larger monument would eventually be constructed around it. Wikipedia

The white scarf of the Mothers of the Plazas de Mayo painted on the ground

IMG_8257_zpsmtal11l3.jpg

The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo (Spanish: Asociación Madres de Plaza de Mayo) is an association of Argentine mothers whose children "disappeared" during the state terrorism of the military dictatorship, between 1976 and 1983. They organized while trying to learn what had happened to their children, and began to march in 1977 at the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires, in front of the Casa Rosada presidential palace, in public defiance of the government's state terrorism intended to silence all opposition. Wearing white head scarves to symbolize the diapers of their lost children, the mothers marched in solidarity to protest the atrocities committed by the military regime. They held the government accountable for the human rights violations they committed during their time in power. Wikipedia

The pink Palace

IMG_8259_zps2nla32qj.jpg

IMG_8261_zpst9w2cr8j.jpg

The Casa Rosada (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkasa roˈsaða], English: Pink House) is the executive mansion and office of the President of Argentina. The palatial mansion is known officially as Casa de Gobierno, ("House of Government" or "Government House"). Normally, the President lives at the Quinta de Olivos, the official residence of the President of Argentina, which is located in OlivosGreater Buenos Aires. The characteristic color of the Casa Rosada is baby pink, and is considered one of the most emblematic buildings in Buenos Aires. The building also houses a museum, which contains objects relating to former presidents of Argentina. It has been declared a National Historic Monument of Argentina.  Wikipedia

The entrance to the subway station

IMG_8265_zpskl9yvt3d.jpg

• Like 1

We did pass the Giant Flower stopping for a photo

IMG_8230_zpsdieg3x4m.jpg

Next destination La Boca

We passed this large apartment complex with their giant paintings on the wall , behind barbed wire

DSC08018%202_zpskwlwy2cl.jpg

DSC08021_zpsv8yffrtf.jpg

Boca Juniors Stadium

DSC05460%20-%20Copy_zps0vsyyisg.jpg

This painter was born in Boca and inspired the bright colors here 

DSC05474_zpsfpwqfs9d.jpg

Near the old port is Caminito

DSC05475_zpsriif5frj.jpg

DSC08031_zpsgzazhuba.jpg

A statue of the pope

DSC05477%201_zpspsqxckj4.jpg

and the pope riding an alpaca

DSC05481%202_zpsscqkygem.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 1:07 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

We just returned from a 22 day cruise and 9 nights pre and post cruise visit to South America . 

7dfaffa6-2dfe-439d-a879-cb01fb88d33e_zps

The cruise was on the HAL Zaandam from San Antonio , Chile to Buenos Aires Argentina .

IMG_2278-001_zps9aaf8ac7.jpg

We took over 10,000 photos on this trip so it will take a while to cull , download , edit and upload to Photo Bucket before writing , so please be patient . It will be mostly in chronological order and will use some photos from our previous cruises to South America .

4101bbd2-c2fb-46a3-a107-7c7c991ce058_zps

So , bags packed and ready to go ?

DSC03000%202_zps8clkotp4.jpg

Boarding passes ?

13069bb6-131e-45b6-b889-f0f323e11a77_zps

OK , lets go .

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:00 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

Next destination La Boca

We passed this large apartment complex with their giant paintings on the wall , behind barbed wire

DSC08018%202_zpskwlwy2cl.jpg

That's Boca Juniors and Argentine national team star Carlos Tevez No. 10

4 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks for the time and effort posting this fabulous travelogue.

We will be sailing 14 days around the Horn next February on Coral Princess and your photos and notes have given us lots of insight and much to look forward to.

Thank you , it's a great trip and we hope that you enjoy it .